Quantcast

are rear shock springs interchangeable?

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
My current shock is a progressive 5th element coil from a number of years ago. They're not serviced any more but I called Avalanche but it was fairly expensive to have it rebuilt so I decided to find a cheap craigslist shock that I can still get serviced.

I found a Fox Shock Vanilla R that matches my 7.875 x 2.0 but it doesn't have a spring.

Can I take the spring from my Progressive and put it on the Fox?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
It's hard to say, but it would probably work. Older Van R shocks took a smaller diameter spring, but had no reservoir to rub on; newer ones are probably DHX size and I think a progressive spring fits those. So I think it would work, but it's hard to know without trying; springs from different manufacturers can sometimes rub on the shock body if they do not center properly and have bigger coils.

But I should add that, more importantly, I don't know if it matters if it will fit. 5th Element shocks used very low spring rates. Newer Van R shocks may have changed a bit, but they had really high spring rates. For example, I had a 5th element on a DH bike and I think it had like a #275 spring. I put on a Push-tuned Vanilla RC and the spring had to be more like #450. Whether your current spring would fit or not, I'd budget money for a new spring anyway.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
1st: yes, the ID and OD measurements of the spring do differ, and you do want the correct size.

JR: that doesn't make any sense to me. The make/model of shock wouldn't effect the leverage of the frame, and that is what would determine the spring rate. I could see a small variance after custom tuning, +/- 50lbs or so, but not that much.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
JR: that doesn't make any sense to me. The make/model of shock wouldn't effect the leverage of the frame, and that is what would determine the spring rate. I could see a small variance after custom tuning, +/- 50lbs or so, but not that much.
Part of the equation here is whether we are talking about a new or old Fox shock. I do not know about the newer ones, but the old ones needed higher spring rates than a 5th in my experience- often more than 50lbs, especially if the frame has a higher leverage ratio.

The same spring rate might work for both in this case, but I think there is some chance it won't. Since price might be a real concern here, I might have overstated my case a bit so that the guy didn't buy the shock assuming that the old spring and/or rate would work without any issues. It might, but it might not.

Last edited: