Quantcast

Are there any WW Kayakers on Ridemonkey?

Simms

Chimp
Sep 17, 2004
summit county Colorado
But YOu guys have big water in the spring huh? You should come test out the southeast! Nice fun challenging class II-III all the way to heart pumping V within a 2 hour radius. How did you get started kayaking?

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
It was the strangest thing - I'd always wanted to - and then one day I'm driving down the highway here and what do ya know? - a Wavesport foreplay lying in the median - it was like a sign from above (well, that was my justification while I was forking over $ for the PFD, skirt, paddle, etc...) I didn't get back on my bike for the next 3.5 months or so. I"ve got a pretty solid roll, am getting more proficient at cartwheels and feel fairly comfortable in class III so far - but lack people to get outside of the local WW park with (very often). My brother actually went out and bought a boat after trying mine for an afternoon - so we went fairly often, but then he up and moved away.

Simms

Chimp
Sep 17, 2004
summit county Colorado
Ahh you didn't turn it in :nope: ? poor someone lost their boat! That will give you bad river Karma. You should try Boatertalk.com. They have a lost and found forum. and They have a planner forum that you can talk to people about boating in your area. It's a great way to meet people at your skill level and some that can teach you a lot also.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Simms said:
Ahh you didn't turn it in :nope: ? poor someone lost their boat! That will give you bad river Karma. You should try Boatertalk.com. They have a lost and found forum. and They have a planner forum that you can talk to people about boating in your area. It's a great way to meet people at your skill level and some that can teach you a lot also.
Thanks for the advice - but that's how I became familiar with wetdawg, boatertalk, steepcreeks, etc... as well as Confluence Kayaks and Alpenglow here in Denver.... regardless, I met the previous owner in the river @ Golden one day - he told me about how he had a boat like mine - but had lost it about a month earlier on 6th avenue - I told him about how I had found it and that I had checked all the online boards I could find - as well as the local shops. He was very cool - told me to keep it, as his ins. had bought him a new Pirhana after he lost the old one, and said he hadn't bothered posting on any boards because he assumed that there was no way that a kayaker (or like individual) had found it - he figured it was a toy for kids in someone's backyard. Anyhow - we have gone kayaking together several times, and have a suprising amount in common - it's a small world.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I used to to a good bit of WW kayaking but haven;t done any in a long time now. Well since I really started racing bikes. But now I;m sorta finished with that I wanna start ww kayaking again. It's awesome except I always hurt my feet and legs in the damn tiny boats and I;m big 6'3'' so it really hurts to squess in one of those bad boys.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
JMAC said:
I used to to a good bit of WW kayaking but haven;t done any in a long time now. Well since I really started racing bikes. But now I;m sorta finished with that I wanna start ww kayaking again. It's awesome except I always hurt my feet and legs in the damn tiny boats and I;m big 6'3'' so it really hurts to squess in one of those bad boys.
No kidding - I'm only 5'10" and I couldn't believe how tight a squeeze it was at first.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
The Gauley rocks! Did some rafting there about 10 years ago. Some class 5+ in the fall. They's call 'em class 6 but then they lose their insurance ;)

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
I used to paddle A LOT.... we'd head to Gauleyfest every season. Usually we'd just slum around, do video boating and safety boating for various companies (mostly NRA), run the New or the Dries if there was any water during the weekdays... but hanging out on top of "postage due" at the bottom of Sweet's Falls with a picnic lunch watching all the carnage was my personal favorite.... after paddling for 14 years, I just kinda got tired of it :nopity: but now I've got lots of time for biking :thumb:

Here's a pic from one of my favorite playspots in CO...

Attachments

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
s1ngletrack said:
No kidding - I'm only 5'10" and I couldn't believe how tight a squeeze it was at first.
Yeah and it really sucks cause so many boats I just can;t get into like ALL the new rodeo/playboats lol. The only boats I can say i;m confotable in is a riot domanatrix

Simms

Chimp
Sep 17, 2004
summit county Colorado
I guess I got it made coming in at 5'1. All you taller/bigger guys should try some creeking. much more room than a play boat. And it's just fun! Play boating you gotta wait your turn for the wave and watch for upstream boaters and blah blah blah and then when you finally get your surf you get washed out and have to wait again....too time consuming. Creeking/river running you just go huck it! MY problem is finding people to go with. I'm new to the area I'm in...but all the people around here hit class IV-V on a daily basis. Anything less is too boring to them.

Attachments

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Simms said:
I guess I got it made coming in at 5'1. All you taller/bigger guys should try some creeking. much more room than a play boat. And it's just fun! Play boating you gotta wait your turn for the wave and watch for upstream boaters and blah blah blah and then when you finally get your surf you get washed out and have to wait again....too time consuming. Creeking/river running you just go huck it! MY problem is finding people to go with. I'm new to the area I'm in...but all the people around here hit class IV-V on a daily basis. Anything less is too boring to them.
Nice pics.

Where in CO is that, Happy?

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
s1ngletrack said:
Nice pics.

Where in CO is that, Happy?
Can't really say.... ;) If I did, I probably SOMEHOW draw the same fire that bikers get when they disclose the location of a really cool "secret" trail... :mumble:

PM me and I'll give you details.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
drago52 said:
I've paddled quite a bit in Georgia, but since moving to Colorado, I haven't gotten the boat in the water. Too much biking and climbing.
Same problem here - only I've lived here most of my life - too many hobbies.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
my friends just got back from a gauley trip this weekend. they did cranberry and some other stuff as well. youdont know anyone looking for a killer deal on a boat do ya?

Simms

Chimp
Sep 17, 2004
summit county Colorado
drago52 said:
I've paddled quite a bit in Georgia, but since moving to Colorado, I haven't gotten the boat in the water. Too much biking and climbing.
I used to live in GA. what all rivers did you paddle? Heard of a Kayak shop called "go with the flow"? I want to move to colorado.....but I don't know if I can giveup the waterflow we have.

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
I've done it for 10 years, mostly on flat water and sea and channels. Also a lot of ww kayaking. In Luxemburg, the France alpes and Belgium. I had a Seakayak and a Stipyaks safari for ww.kayaking and for normal flat waters. But i;ve stopped with kayaking because it was going to slow for me. And got really bored with the same spots all over again. :mumble: And i wanted to keep my feet dry during my sports. I;'ve had enough of the watersports.

I sold all my stuff. And went biking, what i also did (for years) at the same time. So i also did not have the time to do both sports at the same time. So kayaking had to go. And that's 5 years from now.