Quantcast

Are you Left or right handed, and which foot do you ride foreward?

Handedness, and which foot forward

• Right Handed, Right Foot Forward

Votes: 46 32.9%
  • Right Handed, Left Foot Forward

Votes: 68 48.6%
  • Left Handed, Right Foot Forward

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • Left Handed, Left foor Forward

Votes: 17 12.1%

• Total voters

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I am right handed and when doing a drop, jump, or (dare I say) coasting, I ride left foot foreward, and find a lot of people ride right foot foreward. How abouts you?

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
Funny. I'm right handed & ride left foot forward. If I think about hitting a drop with my right foot forward I get scared. Good question....

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
woof said:
Funny. I'm right handed & ride left foot forward. If I think about hitting a drop with my right foot forward I get scared. Good question....

Yeah, me too! If I find myself coming up to a drop right foot first and I can't take another half a pedal stroke, I stop!

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I am right handed, but I guess before I went to school I was a lefty like alot of my family. But in the name of conformity, my grade school did everything they could to straighten me out. :p

Right handed, left foot forward.

Chimponarope

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
UK
Tenchiro said:
I am right handed, but I guess before I went to school I was a lefty like alot of my family. But in the name of conformity, my grade school did everything they could to straighten me out. :p

Right handed, left foot forward.
I was similar except it was my parents that 'fixed' me ;)

jus

Chimp
Nov 3, 2004
wow, looks like i'm the odd ball.... i'm left handed and ride left foot forward. I can ride right foot forward if i get sort of stuck doing a section that way....but can't bunny hop or ride very well that way.... Can anyone ride both feet forward? (obviously not at the same time :rolleyes: )

SD_TMTB

Chimp
Jun 26, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Right/Left
it feels really weird but I have found that I can hit drops either way If I have to, now bunny hopping is a different story...

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Right handed. left foot forward. I can do either way, though and its not too much trouble, but it still doesn't feel as right going right foot forward.

I specifically remember that when I was a wee lad that I was eating my peas with my left hand. My mom told me to do it with my right hand because "it would be easier". BS. I do a ton of small things that would indicate that I'm a lefty - opening doors, drinking,...etc..

I'm goofy on a snowboard. In a bmx start gate I start left foot forward even though it's weaker (injury), but it's comfortable either way.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
The Lazian said:
do any of you find that your rear shoe wears faster than your forward one. my back shoe wears out about twice as fast, from the pedal pins.

Interesting....... I've never really noticed.

I guess more people right Right/Left than I thought. :)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Usually your dominate foot is back to control the bike. Try riding with your opposite foot back. Its hard. I tried a few times last year, not because I wanted to either.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
Kanter said:
Usually your dominate foot is back to control the bike. Try riding with your opposite foot back. Its hard. I tried a few times last year, not because I wanted to either.
Exactly. I bet there is a much stronger correlation between your front riding foot and your front snowboard/skateboard/surfboard foot.

For the record I am right handed, left footed...ride boards regular.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
h22ekhatch said:
Exactly. I bet there is a much stronger correlation between your front riding foot and your front snowboard/skateboard/surfboard foot.

For the record I am right handed, left footed...ride boards regular.
I am right handed, right footed. I ride regular...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I also wrote lefthanded as a kid but was switched to righthanded by my P1 teacher.
I do everything except eat right handed now, I ride mainly right foot forward, but can ride, jump, bunnyhop etc. left foot forward fine.
I always start (at races, Gates and Dirtjump run-ins) left foot forward.

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
I'm right handed, ride right foot forward
but surf goofy footed (right foot forward, left foot back)
guess it's all right foot forward for me

cheers

Sep 9, 2004
Littleton, CO
Right foot, right handed. It is a good idea to practice riding with the wrong foot foward. It can help when hitting obstacles and can help in corners too. Watch Justin Havukanin(sp) in Earthed 2. During his Vail section with Joel he changes his foward foot all the time.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Right handed.
Left foot forward on the Bike.
Right foot forward (goofy) skateboarding and snowboarding.
Kick with the right foot.
Gate starts with the right foot forward.

I've always thought there would be some correlation with the whole dominant foot forward on the bike or the snowboard thing, but so far there are enough exceptions that I don't think there is. Puzzling question though!

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
I am right handed
ride right foot forward almost all the time
I ride regular stance
I have a lazy right eye and my right ear is more prone to infection than the left.

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
I'm a lefty, ride either foot foward but drop in and jump right foot foward unless I'm pedaling off a drop, then it doesn't matter. Skate goofy footed, can't even push the board with my right leg without almost falling. I rotate to the right when doing 360s, 180s ect...

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I'm right handed and left foot forward. I never really thought about which foot I put forward for drops but every pic I have of me going off stuff the left foot is forward.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
left handed, left foot forward.

the one week i spent snowboarding, i rode left foot forward.

play guitar right handed, and play golf right handed.

swing a bat on both sides of the plate with a left handed grip.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Right handed, right foot forward, skateboards and surf (long time ago) goofy. When riding I used to practice with my feet switched now it really doesn't bother me when I ride into something technical and my feet aren't right.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Right handed, right foot forward on a bike, although I can ride most drops with either foot forward, doesn't really bother me.

I ride snowboards with my left foot forward though, and I ride ramp anti-clockwise (pegs on the right) for preference.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i am left handed and ride with my left leg back, but i am right legged. i am also right eyed. pretty screwed up combination. most of the time on dh runs i do swicth feet, but always have my best foot back for the really hard stuff.
oh yea i corner to the right much better then left. there is got to be a relation between all this.