Votes: 56 29.3%
  • Something Else..(?!)

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
just wondering what dh monkeys are using on their dh beats..

mix means shimano/sram parts mix :)

EDIT: dont mind me dh, fr , xc, street, strails all bikes i mean this pool is for every type of bikes

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Sram drivetrain, Fox suspension and Shimano brakes.

Edit: The new 2007 X9 feels as good as last years XO, give it a shot on a friend's bike if you can. You may like it.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
sram x9 on my chase(lovin it) and some old crappy shimano that came with my jekyll (not lovin it)

edit:i just realized this is dh and neither of these bikes are dh...but oh well, if it makes any difference i have thought about doin a lil dh on my chase

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
Just got my 07 x9 short cage in. I also ordered an 07 8 speed x7 but what arrived was an sx7 or something like that, it is identical to last years x7 but in 8 speed. I should have just ordered x9 8 speed stuff, but im not sure about how strong the clamping mechanism is considering I have broke about 5 of the tradtional ones clean off the bar. Anyway I just took an old broken x9 and replaced all of the plastic paddles/barrel adjusters with the sliver aluminum ones, so I guess im running 06 x9 8 speed now.

I believe sram is better in every way then shimano for drivetrain, I just couldnt bring myself to run a long or medium cage derailleur for downhill, so I went shimano road+ sram attack shifter. Now that they make the x9 short cage, im set on one for all my bikes.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
I want to. I've seen the derailleur but I'm curious about the shifters.
the shifters are amazing huge step up over last years. we have the new x9 shifters on some blurs and nomads at my shop w/ x.0 rear derailer and its amazing i would love to see the new full x9 together. but as i said new x9 shifters are the shiz

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
It's a mix. I've got '01 Deore shifter with an '06 XT rear deraileur (came with the new hanger :D), and a LX front chainring, with an '02 Sram X.7 cassette and chain. When I have enough money saved up I'm going to revamp the whole thing, replacing everything but the deraileur and moving up to 9 speed. Hell, I might even get a chainguide while I'm at it so I stop losing my chain after every landing. Oh yeah, cranks are '04 (I think) Travativ.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Sram XO trigger and rear derailleur, SRAM 990 chain, Shimano DA cassette, and Saint cranks on my DH bike. SRAM XO trigger and X9 rear derailleur, SRAM 970 chain, Shimano XT cassette, and Saint cranks on my trail, DJ, slopestyle, all mountain bike. :biggrin:

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
Campy all the way!!! woot woot!:happydance: :banana:

I've almost always run shimano... a little sram back in the day...but wasn't really fond of it. I've hear a lot of good things about Sram these past few years & i hear the new stuff is dope as well.

Honestly, i don't think you can go wrong either way these days... they both have their advantages...they both have their issues. people have their own preferences.

...i'll get whatever is on sale! :biggrin:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
SRAM X9 on the Turner.
Shimano on the DOC.

I used to be all Shimano but I've tried the new SRAM and I'm diggin' it. That said, my Juicy 7s still pale compared to my old 755s or the Saints I have on my hardtail.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
sram is definately where its at IMO

DHR
boxxer team
avid codes
x0
sram chain/cassette

RFX
pike 454 coil
avid juicy 5s
x9
sram chain/cassette

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Sram drivetrain (chain, derailleur, twist shifter, cassette) and soon to install Shimano brakes to replace my Hayes.

toby

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
All shimano here. Apart from the cranksets, brakesets, cassettes, and chains all far surpassing any SRAM offerings for quality - I like being able to smack the derailleurs into rocks and have them come back for more.

DH Bike:
XTR CN7701 Chain
XTR M952 RD (normal)
XT M760 Cassette
XT M760 Crankset
Saint M800 Shifter
Saint M800 Brakes

Hardtail:
XTR CN7701 Chain
XT M751 RD (normal)
XT M751 Shifter
XT M760 Cassette
Saint M800 Crankset
Saint M800 Brakes

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
My application is a little unique so I voted Shimano since that's what my 3/4 built hardtail uses. All my DH bikes before had Shimano as well.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
Sram XO shifter, derailleur and PG970 cassette, Durace chains, Truvativ cranks and E13 chainrings, Avid brakes.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
DH Bike:
XTR CN7701 Chain
XTR M952 RD (normal)
XT M760 Cassette
XT M760 Crankset
Saint M800 Shifter
Saint M800 Brakes
Mine is the same setup, sans XT cranks as they are not strong enough for me. The saint shifter will be updated to the new xtr m970 adjustable shifter pod very soon.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
shimano cranks, sram chain, shimano cassette, and whatever i already have for derailleur/shifter. i'm not too picky about shifters and derailleurs. although i do like shifting with just my thumb.

BJ-

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Australia
Sram PG970 Cassette, PC991 Chain, X-9 Derailluer and x-9 Shifter setup at the moment but soon to be Shimano XTR RapidFire Plus Shifter, XTR Derailluer, DuraAce Cassette and DuraAce Chain.

Ive always prefered Shimano for some reason...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Ive always prefered Shimano for some reason...
:stupid: for most stuff, but I do especially hate dual control. Shimano are cool, they have some iconic products under their belt and every now and then they come out with something pretty awesome. Brakes and pedals and stuff.

SRAM are just Rockshox and sh1t. :D

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
all shimano except for some random chainrings.......the stuff just lasts forever..........use cheap Deore deraillers just because deraillers can last 12 months or 12 minutes, you never know......