Quantcast

Argyle 318 or Dirt Jumper 2

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
I'm ordering a new bike within the next 2 weeks, so which fork should I get? '07 Argyle 318 or '07 Dirt Jumper 2? I've always prefered Marzocchi stuff over RockShox, and especially since Marzocchi has shaved 1.5 pounds of the old Dirt Jumpers and added the flatter bolt-on crowns, I'm very inclined to go with the new DIrt Jumper. I hear nothing bad about the Argyles, but I've never ridden one, so I need your help reaching a decision between the two.

Lux Interior

Monkey
Jun 18, 2005
I've had a DJ2 since June. I like it. it leaked a little at first but then sealed up. The bolt on crowns seem like a neat Idea, but it does sketch me out some. I did retighten the bolts once. I also like the bolted axle clamp.But like every Marz I've owned it has saved my life or at least facial structure and I wouldn't ride anything else. You know you want one.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I've been meaning to try out the new RS offerings. Their crappy track record will keep me from buying one until I hear some long term reviews. The DJs are good if you're heavy, rough, hate maintaining your stuff, or in my case, all of the above.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
RS only had a bad track record until it got bought by Sram. Personally I've only had bad experience with Marzocchi, performance and customer service wise. Rock Shox on the other hand has always had great customer service and their products have performed great. Also I like the RS Maxle system more than the Marzocchi, it's simple, quicker and easier. This is just my own experience though and I know quite a few riders who swear by Marzocchi.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Yea there are a few riders in my area that only trust Marzocchi. I've only owned a 2004 Dirt Jumper 3, a 1998 RockShox Judy on my old Spec FSR, and my '04 C'Dale Gemini had a Sherman Breakout Plus SPV, which I loved; however, I've seen multiple broken Gold Label dropouts and the new Manitou forks I've come into contact with look, feel, and perform like ass.

I got a chance to ride a Blk Mrkt Mob with a '07 DJ 2 on it, and it felt awesome, and felt about the same weight as a Pike, even though it's heavier, and I hear nothing but excellent about the Pikes and Argyles. If I had the chance to ride an Argyle, then this would be an easier decision.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I'll be in the fork market when my 03 mod'd firefly finally dies. I've ridden a ton of forks in my day and it's the best I've ever tried, not only from performance, but also durability. It simply will NOT die. I'm thinking when, if ever, it kicks the bucket, I'll scower ebay for another 03 and make the same <$20 mod...food for thought.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
right, when I did mine I only installed the bushing and left teh stock spring hoping that it would simply stiffen up my travel but it appears as though it didn't lower the fork quite as much as I had hoped.

Clarify the cut to size tool and die spring for me if you will...