Quantcast

Argylessss?

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
I think I'm gonna put a suspension fork on my new Ruckus UF 24. I hear a lot of bad things about the Gold's, and havent had great experience with Manitou in the past, so I'm thinking the Argyle may be the way to go.

but...I need an 80mm (or 65??) fork. How difficult/sketchy is it to lower the Argyle? If its gonna take some rigging/sketchiness I might jsut go witht he Gold.

Also...which Argyle would you guys recommend?

prana.ferox

Chimp
Aug 24, 2006
Seattle, WA
I have an Argyle 409 at 80mm. I was expecting some degradation of the ride quality when it was dropped from 100mm, but it feels the exact same (i.e. great), just shorter. Highly recommended.

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
I also have an Argyle 409, and I love it. I've always been skeptical of air forks, but this thing feels awesome. It is also the easiest argyle to decrease to 80 mm (it comes with a spacer kit that you have to install in the fork). I was going to reduce it, but I rode it a few times at the 100mm position, and it felt good so I kept it there. Definitely a sick for though, but very pricey if you're paying retail. The gold label wasn't a bad fork, but mine developed a nasty creak in the stanchion/crown assembly after about 10 months. Probably nothing too bad, but the sound was awful.

i have had 2 friends with them and both of theirs got stuck down within a few weeks. one of the guys got a different fork in the meantime and sold the argyle when he got it back, the other waited for his. obviously we have no idea what happened to the one that was sold, but the friend who kept his only had to wait for a few more weeks for the fork to return to it's desired stuck down state. he returned it again and is waiting for it again...

prana.ferox

Chimp
Aug 24, 2006
Seattle, WA
I've been riding my Argyle for more than 3 months (and about a month since it's been dropped), and I've had no problems with durability at all.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
I work at a shop, so I wont be paying retail. I don't wanna pay or wait for a nemesis fork, but I'm sure they're awesome.

How hard is it to lower the other models? Has anyone had any top cap clearance issues like with the pikes?

Keep the bitching to a minimum if you dont mind. I know that Rock Shocks suck, Manitou's break, Nemesis is awesome because Brad is your friend, Nemesis sucks because Brad takes too long, and Marzocchi's suck because they're too heavy. My friends break parts too. I've heard stories.

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
i have had 2 friends with them and both of theirs got stuck down within a few weeks. one of the guys got a different fork in the meantime and sold the argyle when he got it back, the other waited for his. obviously we have no idea what happened to the one that was sold, but the friend who kept his only had to wait for a few more weeks for the fork to return to it's desired stuck down state. he returned it again and is waiting for it again...
My 409 lost pressure when I was out of town. Came home and one of the grey seals had popped out and fork was stuck down. Pumped it back up, pushed the seal in place and tried to ride it. Lost pressure again mid ride and the grey seal just wouldn't stay in place, but I was still out jumping so I just kept airing it up and pushing things back into place.

Then it just stayed working. Haven't had to touch it in months.

:crazy:

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
no need to bother slamming an Argyle, just ride it for a week or so, it will get stuck down anyway and you will have saved youself a step....

I've sold 7 argyle 409's this past year and i have one myself and none of them ever had that problem to my knowledge. But then again crazy things do tend to happen to some forks.

Jul 30, 2007
CT
i have the Argyle 409 it's great i love it at 100mm, i thought about putting it to 80mm but i decided it was fine at 100mm. Also super smooth and worth all the money.
The gold's have sapped on me before after about 3 months.

Also DJ2 with stiff springs and thick oil lower to 80mm kicks ASS too.

Dec 11, 2005
WL Oregon
I've snapped many marzocchi's. then I swiched to a manitou stance static, all my problems of breaking forks went away, go figure. The gold label is a good fork, look for a sherman jumper. those were like THE BEST forks. my friends have never had problems with their argyles. they dont ride nearly as hard as I do though. The marzocchi DJ2 is actually a pretty nice fork.

RS = possibly getting stuck down
Manitou = possible CS issues due to their busy moving.
Marzocchi = more expensive and also more weight.

Jul 30, 2007
CT
I've snapped many marzocchi's. then I swiched to a manitou stance static, all my problems of breaking forks went away, go figure. The gold label is a good fork, look for a sherman jumper. those were like THE BEST forks. my friends have never had problems with their argyles. they dont ride nearly as hard as I do though. The marzocchi DJ2 is actually a pretty nice fork.

RS = possibly getting stuck down
Manitou = possible CS issues due to their busy moving.
Marzocchi = more expensive and also more weight.
I had the stance static it SUCKED big time it was too loose even after i put titanium extra stiff springs in it and the extra thick oil. I say Argyle :lighten: or the DJ2 even though it is might be a little heavier i haven't broken one yet and i have been riding on the DJ for 2 yrs, plus i ride almost every day unless i can't for some reason. Also i have taken some hard hits on both the DJ2 and my new and haven't had any problem. Well i did snap the maxle axel on the Argyle from hitting a tree.:shocked:

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
Bottom line: all forks have issues. Any fork will break. I'd go with the company with the best CS, so when they do break, you don't get screwed. Then there's always mixed experiences with CS. Personally I have 5 or 6 forks warrantied by Marzocchi no questions asked. My buddy has had a couple RS's fixed no questions asked. Don't know bout Manitou CS, but I do know they are scattered due to the move. Also, they seemed to have dropped all their sponsored riders. Their future seems a bit unsure at the moment.

Or you could just get an RST!!:lighten:

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
Bottom line: all forks have issues. Any fork will break. I'd go with the company with the best CS, so when they do break, you don't get screwed. Then there's always mixed experiences with CS. Personally I have 5 or 6 forks warrantied by Marzocchi no questions asked. My buddy has had a couple RS's fixed no questions asked. Don't know bout Manitou CS, but I do know they are scattered due to the move. Also, they seemed to have dropped all their sponsored riders. Their future seems a bit unsure at the moment.

Or you could just get an RST!!:lighten:
:poster_oops:

Actually the RST Space Jump is preety decent

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
:poster_oops:

Actually the RST Space Jump is preety decent
Yea, I have seen their new line. Looks like their trying to get into the market with Manitou, zocchi, and RS.

This fork actually doesn't look half bad. I still have a hard time trusting their products for some reason.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Who's selling them? Do any of the big distributors carry them?

Why shouldn't I get a Gold Label, someone remind me again. The price is much tastier.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
rode with some of the tonicfab team that are on the space right now, they seemed to be liking them. my argyle 318 is doing a bomber job right now though