Quantcast

Armor: 661 EVO, or POC spine Tee

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
having a tough time with this one. Veryhard to find POC anywheres in stock. I've found one place ........Racewerks but their price is pretty high. I'm located in Canada and there is no distributor. POC is my first choice, but I'm considering going with the 661 EVO as it is readily available and looks like a good product. I've run The D30 knee pads for the past 2 years and very pleased with them.
So what do people have to say about the 661 EVO suit????? Anybody have any suggestions on a reliable retailer with POC in stock????

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
having a tough time with this one. Veryhard to find POC anywheres in stock. I've found one place ........Racewerks but their price is pretty high. I'm located in Canada and there is no distributor. POC is my first choice, but I'm considering going with the 661 EVO as it is readily available and looks like a good product. I've run The D30 knee pads for the past 2 years and very pleased with them.
So what do people have to say about the 661 EVO suit????? Anybody have any suggestions on a reliable retailer with POC in stock????
There is a distributor, POC has product in over 50 shops across Canada. Where are you located? Go to your local bike shop and have them contact KMI the distributor to order your product. If you're looking for online sales in Canada, it will only be at MSRP.

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
Just got my new POC gear in at my LBS (Thunder Bay, Ontario) and apart from not being able to crash test it yet, it looks like a great set of gear.

I think the VPD blows the D30 stuff away. The Spine tee is super comfy to wear when I tried it on and I didn't feel like I lost any mobility. The VPD or cookie dough is actually pretty thick and very easily moldable. There also seems like a more noticeable change from soft to hard on impacts than the thinner d30.

I previously had the pressure suit pro and the feel of one to the other is huge. pressure suit was bulky, warm, it really didnt make me want to wear it, so I rarely did. The POC gear makes the 661 stuff look unrefined.

I'm sure the 661 Evo is a step in the right direction but if you have the money for a Spine Tee it will be money well spent.

godfather

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
What's your build and what size di you end up in? I'm curious about sizing as there isn't anywhere to try POC gear on in my area.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The spine portion of the POC armor is their VPD polymor, which will conform to your back quite well and inhibit your range of motion far less than the 661 EVO - which still uses hard plastic plates.

Personally, I'm ponying up for the POC this season.

I've heard that POC is pretty good about responding to emails, drop them a line and ask about sizing.

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
what's the 'bio-foam' they use made of?
As far as I can tell its just a dense, closed cell foam

I think you guys should take a look at this :

http://www.mtb-direct.co.uk/cgi-bin/index.cgi?item=ITEM100126113641

I started another tread , wondering if its available in NA but from what I heard , I think it would still be worth the $$$ having it ship from the UK
If biofoam is just a closed cell foam then this is not even close to the same level as Visco Elestic Polymer Dough (VPD)

What's your build and what size di you end up in? I'm curious about sizing as there isn't anywhere to try POC gear on in my area.
I am 5' 7" 160-170 lbs pretty normal build maybe a bit wider shoulders
I went off their sizing guide I found on their website I believe ( I ordered my gear in September so I forget how I found sizing) I got a medium Spine Tee and it fits like a glove.

As soon as I tried it on I realized its leagues above a 661 pressure suit. The spine tee is something I'd actually want to wear because of how comfortable it is.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Do you find that the kidney-belt on the Spine-Tee helps the fit at all? It could just be my build, but I just removed it and the overall fit doesn't change at all. Just one less thing to have to worry about.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Interesting link. I was assuming that the main purpose was to prevent the Tee from riding up.

That said, I can't speak for moto use, but for DH purposes I can't really see that reduction of back pain is a valid purpose. If your core is too weak to support your torso riding a bike...work on your core. And I've never noticed kidney bruising after a long day of riding either. Again, maybe more moto applicable. I can see the benefit from a protection standpoint. Certainly I'd rather have it there in the event that a rock/handlebar/whatever makes contact with the lower torso, even though I doubt it's all that much protection.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yea, they're definitely more applicable for moto use. But they're still useful for DH. Some mountains you do get jostled around a lot; I've ridden places like this full day - with and without a kidney belt - and at the end of the day I noticed I didn't feel so shaken up when I wore the belt.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
what's the 'bio-foam' they use made of?
They call it "Sas-Tec" and essentially its the same stuff than the POC stuff... soft under normal conditions and hardens up upon impact.This vest is also moto-rated as well and so much cheaper...Only wish I could get it in north America but it seems like I'll have to order it from the UK.

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
They call it "Sas-Tec" and essentially its the same stuff than the POC stuff... soft under normal conditions and hardens up upon impact.This vest is also moto-rated as well and so much cheaper...Only wish I could get it in north America but it seems like I'll have to order it from the UK.
Sas Tec is not the same stuff as VPD (good stuff but not the same), VPD diffuses the energy of an impact better than anything on the market, thereby eliminating not only the likelihood of breaking a bone but also lower the chances of soft tissue damage. VPD can also change its density, as in the Spine Tee where the spinal cord has a higher density than the surrounding back areas. The Spine Tee also has the CE level 2 rating for motorcycles.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Sas Tec is not the same stuff as VPD (good stuff but not the same), VPD diffuses the energy of an impact better than anything on the market, thereby eliminating not only the likelihood of breaking a bone but also lower the chances of soft tissue damage. VPD can also change its density, as in the Spine Tee where the spinal cord has a higher density than the surrounding back areas. The Spine Tee also has the CE level 2 rating for motorcycles.
Thanks for info sirbikealot, I actually read all of that stuff in a magazine and according to them it was the same stuff.Is Sas-Tec actually a material any manufacturers can buy or is it only a branded name for Oneal ?

I'd like to know more as of where you got that info since it seems to be a new product for Oneal.

Wether its a lesser good product doesnt really matter for me I think.For that price if its good enough for motorbike, I'd feel safe to wear it.The POC spine protector is a great idea but I find it too expensive for a piece of armor that is pretty minimalist.Plus it offers zero protection for the chest compare to the Oneal.Last but not least why a WHITE body armor? That thing must starts looking very nasty after a few ride . . . doesnt it ?

I would love to hear more about the Oneal before ordering one if you have more info, please let us know! ;)

Last edited:

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
Thanks for info sirbikealot, I actually read all of that stuff in a magazine and according to them it was the same stuff.Is Sas-Tec actually a material any manufacturers can buy or is it only a branded name for Oneal ?

I'd like to know more as of where you got that info since it seems to be a new product for Oneal.

Wether its a lesser good product doesnt really matter for me I think.For that price if its good enough for motorbike, I'd feel safe to wear it.The POC spine protector is a great idea but I find it too expensive for a piece of armor that is pretty minimalist.Plus it offers zero protection for the chest compare to the Oneal.Last but not least why a WHITE body armor? That thing must starts looking very nasty after a few ride . . . doesnt it ?

I would love to hear more about the Oneal before ordering one if you have more info, please let us know! ;)
POC does make the Spine VPD Tee with full chest protection and shoulder protection. If you ride in mud without a jersey i'm sure it would begin to get dirty but i know people who put it under a jersey and have ridden it for 50 days with only regular wear and use on it.
The O'Neal looks like great stuff.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
*truncated*
the poc stuff is designed to be worn underneath jerseys. So cleanliness should be a minor issue (make sure you wash it though! the spine pad is removable for washing from what I've been told)

like sirbikealot said, there are 2 versions, spine only, and spine + shoulder cups + chest plates. Personally, I will be opting for spine only. I find shoulder and chest armor to be too restrictive (and annoying). Also, after enough experienced I have mastered tuck and roll, so spine is my biggest concern. I got a DNS at Mt Snow last year because I slammed myself on my lower back during pre-race practice. Mobility was my top priority when evaluating new spine armor, and the POC delivers. Sicklines has a review of the tee (the one with chest and shoulder), and its overall positive. I spoke to jvnixon about it, and he was very impressed by it. The back "plate", which is shared between both versions, may seem odd as it is one large single piece, but as it warms up from body heat it becomes more pliable and will contour to your spine far better than anything else (so I've been told). Its dual density - so the section directly over your backbone/spine is denser than the surrounding area.

Personally, when it comes to protection, price is only a secondary concern to may. Yea, it sucks to have to pony up some extra change for better stuff, but I take a step back and look at the big picture. Any of the armor on the market is a lot cheaper than the medical bills associated with neck/spine/head injuries. I have a cousin who is a quadriplegic from a moto-x accident (back in the early 90's, in the pre neck brace days). Having witnessed how hard (and expensive) it is first hand, I have no second thoughts about putting down a good amount of money for quality protective gear. That being said, virtually all protective gear I will be running this year will be POC - Cortex helmet (because its the only DH helmet with MIPS), as well as knee, elbow, and spine protection.

factorycol

Chimp
Apr 27, 2010

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
just got my 661 2010 vapor suit, but after I saw the 661 subgear, i'm wondering if the vapor suit was the wrong purchase. First off, it's kinda bulky. The spinal protection is a monstrosity compared to the spinal unit on the 661 EVO suit, and it's definitely going to make fitting shirts and my Leatt a bit of a mission. Nothing serious, but who likes to waste time getting dressed, or undressed for that matter ;)

What I like about the subgear, is it provides some shoulder and chest protection, albeit minimal. Reality is, i want some protection, especially in the chest area (broke some ribs and my sternum, which some chest protection would have greatly mitigated), but without the loss of freedom of movement, and without the bulk.

then again, maybe I should just have shelled out some more for the EVO suit. It does have extra clavicle protection, which the vapor suit doesnt offer.
hmmmmm

Only glaring gap in the subgear product, is spinal protection. There is none. I see lotsa reviewers are requesting 661 address that shortcoming, so perhaps v2 will sport something worthwhile. As as long it's not a surfboard that is the vapor suits's spinal unit. :(

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
FWIW i have a size large POC vpd vest top for sale, new, never worn. 1/2 off. thanks.

Last edited: