Quantcast

armor/pads info sought

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
so as some of you know, I am the proud owner of a Kona Cowen as I had a fork lying around and NEEDED another bike. so, It has Kona stainless flat pedals on it and they've already forced me to give a blood donation or two to the bike gods.

so, for urban/DJ/playin around, what do y'all wear? I dont have loads of cash and think that knee/shin guards would probably be the best way to go...for now. any advice?

also, Im planning on gearing it down to more SS friendly gearing (34:20 or so) to turn it into a SS DH HT sled. thoughts on this as well? I know that Im nuts. no doubt!

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
Skookum said:
i've always tried saving money buying cheaper armor and always wound up just forking over the cash for Dainese anyways.
cool info. what about the Fox 911 pads or something from 661? im just thinking about what Im possibly able to get thru QBP.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Skookum said:
i've always tried saving money buying cheaper armor and always wound up just forking over the cash for Dainese anyways.
I love Dainese lowers as DH armor, but do not trust them for protection against flats. I would get a chep set of BMX shin guards. They come down to the tongue of your shoes and protect all the way up to the botttom of your knee. Or the 661 (freeride I think?) pads. They cover from your ankle to the top of yout knee. The are a little warm, but very cheap and protect very well.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
slowSSer said:
cool info. what about the Fox 911 pads or something from 661? im just thinking about what Im possibly able to get thru QBP.
yah i'm thinking i'll just copy and paste that ad infinum for all inquiries about armor. i rode with the 661 4X4's for a while, and they would provide sufficient protection from pedal hits, but they are black absorbing heat, when i took them off a quart of sweat would come bursting out. They're not as burly as the plastic shell, so big impacts still hurt. My prob with the design is that the velcro straps fray and starts to chafe, and that sucks. i'm thinking of getting the 661 elbow pads since they're so light, and my dianese knee/forearms finally bit the dust after 6 years of abuse. here i go again....take my advice i'm not using it. :rolleyes: :)

tenderfoot

Chimp
Jun 21, 2004
I've had the Roach Rally FR knee/shin pads for a little less than a year now and haven't had a problem with them yet. They don't slip/slide while you're riding or when you crash. You hardly even notice that you're wearing them and they look cool as hell. If you're looking for elbow/forearm pads they make them too. I think Pricepoint sells the two together for around $100. They're definitely worth checking out. Good luck.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
Skookum said:
yah i'm thinking i'll just copy and paste that ad infinum for all inquiries about armor. i rode with the 661 4X4's for a while, and they would provide sufficient protection from pedal hits, but they are black absorbing heat, when i took them off a quart of sweat would come bursting out. They're not as burly as the plastic shell, so big impacts still hurt. My prob with the design is that the velcro straps fray and starts to chafe, and that sucks. i'm thinking of getting the 661 elbow pads since they're so light, and my dianese knee/forearms finally bit the dust after 6 years of abuse. here i go again....take my advice i'm not using it. :rolleyes: :)
thanks skookum. maybe someone here will take your advice! :rolleyes: :D

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
Fox 911 are pimpin. They've never slid, the pad goes all the way down to your ankle and side protection is pretty good. AND they're the best looking knee/**** guards out there.