Quantcast

ARRGH! Damn you training wheels!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
So for those of you keeping scroe, my older daughter has autism right?

As such, she's very....particular about stuff. And she can be pretty timid about some things.....including her bike

This spring she was kicking ass on it.....but then as she progressed, she got going a little too fast, tipped over...and wanted nothing to do with her bike until a couple of weeks ago. She finally worked the nerve back up to give it a try. Tonight, once again, kicking ass. She was standing up in the pedals and everything....with training wheels....and tipped the bike over again. No tears or anything....but decided that was enough. So I don't know what will happen tomorrow....whether the bike hiatus will resume. I hope not. She was SO pleased with herself until she dumped it over.

Stupid training wheels.

I may try to take the pedals off her old tiny bike and try the push-bike approach.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Nathan's first ride.

He wanted nothing to do with a 'push bike' so we got him a scooter. He got the hang on the balance thing zooming up and down the street on that. I built the push bike back up with training wheels and pedals/crank, and I noticed he wasn't using the training wheels at all. Took them off and first try he got it. He quit for a week or two and then jumped on again and hasn't stopped.

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
My son has pedaled his bike since he was 2 with training wheels. This summer at three I knew he could make the transition to no training wheels. I took the training wheels off and he just wasn't having it. I bought him a push bike and he rode it for four days. The fourth day I knew he could ride his bike without the training wheels, I told him that if we took the training wheels off his bike the training wheel fairy would come and leave him a toy. Viola, 5 days after trying the push bike and one kick a** Wolverine action figure my son can ride his bike and proudly tells everyone "without my training wheels".

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Hot damn!!

She asked to ride her bike again today! unprompted. I rushed her out in her jammies to ride......before she changed her mind.

She was a littlem ore reserved. But she did it....She stood up in the pedals again....more gingerly. But it was incident free. She's happy again. Which means I'm happy again.

Oh AAAAAAND she asked about taking off her training wheels!

So we'll see how that goes.....maybe later today.