Quantcast

Arrgh! Someone rear ended me!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Last night after work I decided to go to Borders and see whats new. Some dude in a work truck behind me rear ends me as I'm stopped at a light. We pull over and take a look at it. He admits guilt (duh! I was just sitting there!) coughs up all his info.

The damage is really minor, two small dents in my rear bumper, the mounting brackets are still good.

Anyway, he offered to do this outside the insurance companies and just cut me a check. I'm inclined to do this, since I need the cash and my bumper will just get jacked again anyway (no point, since I just bought a NEW bumper last year!).

Am I a fool to go outside the insurance companies for this? its about $300 for a bumper and doesn't legally have to be reported.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've done it before. It's a great way to handle things if the damage is minor. Just have someone check your car out and make sure nothing but the bumper got damaged - things like the trunk hinges sometimes get screwed up and you don't notice until 3 months later.

Make sure you have legit contact information, and get it taken care of right away - the longer you wait, the less likely you'll get the money.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I'm gong to get some estimates at lunch today.

No police report yet, accidents under $500 damage don't need to be reported in Ca.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Zark said:
No police report yet, accidents under $500 damage don't need to be reported in Ca.
Not really what I was concerned about. My concern was more about what happens if you call this guy with your estimates and he says, "Huh? Don't know what you're talkin bout dude. F off..."

With a police report, you could then threaten to get his insurance company involved. Without one, its your word against his.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
pixelninja said:
Not really what I was concerned about. My concern was more about what happens if you call this guy with your estimates and he says, "Huh? Don't know what you're talkin bout dude. F off..."

With a police report, you could then threaten to get his insurance company involved. Without one, its your word against his.
I see your point, he seemed really cool, but people can put on an act. Santa Barbara isn't that big of a town, and if he did screw me, he'd probably regret it:devil:

J

JRB

Zark said:
I'm gong to get some estimates at lunch today.

How do you know when you have an accident that the damage will be under $500??? What if you are injured, but didn't know it at the time. I would always report the accident. That is part of what police officers do.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Jus tget a couple of estimates to get it fixed and and tell him you are going to use ____ body shop. He should just cut you a money order or something. If you have his info and he doesn't make good with the cash just report it.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'd say it's cool as long as he doesn't send you an email saying:

GREETINGS,MY NAME IS MIMBABU HIDOKAL, I HAIL FROM HAITI.AM INTERESTED IN FIXING YOUR{rear bumper}.BEFORE I PROCEED I WILL LIKE TO HAVE TRUST CAUSE I DONT WANT A SITUATION WHERE BY SOMEONE WILL COME AND BE ARRASSING ME IS THAT OK BY YOU. I WANT YOU TO SCAN THE {rear bumper]FOR ME OK?I WILL LIKE TO ASK IF YOU ACCEPT CASHIER CHEQUE AS A MODE OF PAYMENT CAUSE ONE OF MY CLIENT IN USA IS OWNING ME SOME AMOUNT OF MONEY AND SHE AS PROMISE ME TO PAY ME BACK WITH CASHIER CHEQUE OK.TELL ME THE FINAL ASKING PRICE? FORWARD ME THE EARLY CONDITION IT IS OK.HOPE THIS IS UNDERSTAND BY YOU .I WAIT FOR YOUR REPLY ASAP.
MR MIMBABU HIDOKAL

J

JRB

Echo said:
I'd say it's cool as long as he doesn't send you an email saying:

GREETINGS,MY NAME IS MIMBABU HIDOKAL, I HAIL FROM HAITI.AM INTERESTED IN FIXING YOUR{rear bumper}.BEFORE I PROCEED I WILL LIKE TO HAVE TRUST CAUSE I DONT WANT A SITUATION WHERE BY SOMEONE WILL COME AND BE ARRASSING ME IS THAT OK BY YOU. I WANT YOU TO SCAN THE {rear bumper]FOR ME OK?I WILL LIKE TO ASK IF YOU ACCEPT CASHIER CHEQUE AS A MODE OF PAYMENT CAUSE ONE OF MY CLIENT IN USA IS OWNING ME SOME AMOUNT OF MONEY AND SHE AS PROMISE ME TO PAY ME BACK WITH CASHIER CHEQUE OK.TELL ME THE FINAL ASKING PRICE? FORWARD ME THE EARLY CONDITION IT IS OK.HOPE THIS IS UNDERSTAND BY YOU .I WAIT FOR YOUR REPLY ASAP.
MR MIMBABU HIDOKAL

Dude - did JMAC get your login???

J

JRB

Echo said:
Give it a minute... maybe you'll get it... people don't generally like to tell you jokes on Saturday night, huh?

Sorry - I was just using this as yet another oppurtunity to mock his grammar.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Zark said:
I see your point, he seemed really cool, but people can put on an act. Santa Barbara isn't that big of a town, and if he did screw me, he'd probably regret it:devil:
Good luck with that. Hopefully he's a standup guy.