Quantcast

Arrow FRX rims

Reptile

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Colorado
Interested in hearing from those who have run these rims.

Specific questions:

-What is the largest tire size you have used? I would like to run 2.5 or 2.7 Minions.
-Is tubeless conversion a viable option with these rims?

I've had a great experience with the DHX rims (with Maxxis and Arrow 2.5 - 2.7 tires and downhill tubes), but I'm a light rider and would like to avoid the extra weight.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Interested in hearing from those who have run these rims.

Specific questions:

-What is the largest tire size you have used? I would like to run 2.5 or 2.7 Minions.
-Is tubeless conversion a viable option with these rims?

I've had a great experience with the DHX rims (with Maxxis and Arrow 2.5 - 2.7 tires and downhill tubes), but I'm a light rider and would like to avoid the extra weight.

I rode FRX's on my old Cove G-Spot for about 4 months (bike got jacked....otherwise I'd still be runnin' it) .... They were basically mini-DHX's...stout, burly, etc. but, yes, lighter!!

I ran Arrow 2.35 Ramped Bite Slow-React's (more like 2.45's...). Unless specifically stated as a no-no from Arrow, I'd say that running 2.5 Minions would not be a problem.

The tubless option might get a little wierd. Since they're an eyelet-less rim, I'm not sure how the tubeless rimstrip would work....the pressure might make it cave into the cross section of the rim...I'm not sure. They do make tires in a tubeless option though....so I suppose it's in the realm of possiblity.

I'd say give Arrow a shout and pose the tubeless Q to them.....

Contact Info

Feb 13, 2006
I've had a 2.7 Minion DH F roll off an Arrow FRX rim. The 2.5 High Roller DH on the rear never had any problems, though.

A Kenda 2.5 Nevegal DH worked fine on the FRX. Strange, because it's about the same size as the 2.7 Minion that rolled off. Maybe because the Kenda sidewall is softer and absorbed the rolling forces?

Tire profiles for anything above 2.35 or 2.4 tires seem to be a bit compromised, though.

For reference I weigh about 165 ready-to-ride, and I tend toward finesse riding but sometimes plow when I'm coming into a section too hot.:biggrin:

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
had one as a front rim for a long time, was pretty solid. Would buy again in a heartbeat :)

I run the DHX's, rims don't really get stronger than those. If Arrow used rims with eyelets I think the burley rim war would be done with. But with their service and support (gus is easy to get a hold of) they seem to work out well.

The ONLY problem I had with the FRX's was mounting 2.4 tires and larger. They'd be good for anything 2.5 and under (like maxxis tire sizes) but get a little narrow for those bigger tires. For a trail bike rim you couldn't go wrong with them though.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Ran a 24" FRX with a 2.7" High Roller for a long time. Rode DH, FR, all that jazz (though I didn't corner as hard as I do now, still learning and all). Tire never gave me any problems on that rim, ever. Rim was awesome. I only sold it to get a 26" rim, and decided to go lighter since I never hurt the dang thing, and I could save some weight...
Oh yeah, tubeless, as long as you buy the right rimstrips, or cut the tube right, I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work. There's a good deep channel in the middle for mounting tires, so that was never a real problem. Plus, if you're running Arrow tires, Double BeadLock is a GO!