Quantcast

arrow mtb rims

drumbum540

Monkey
Mar 24, 2008
Stephens City, VA
I made a mistake in the title. Its supposed to be narrow. I've been looking for all kinds of new stuff to buy for my bike, now that I can afford it.
My next addition to my bike would be a wheel set. I would like a narrow rim that I could put skinny road tires on, or 2.3s as a max. I do have disc, and color really doesn't matter to me. I would like to keep it below $200, if thats at all possible. Thanks.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Clarify:

You want a full wheelset that is under $200, or just rims?
What type of riding will you be doing on these wheels?
How much do you weigh?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
1"-2.3" is the usual tire range for most XC rims. $200 isn't much and will mean cutting corners and probably won't get you much better wheels than what you have. If I were you I'd buy some NoTubes ZTR Olympics and have your local shop lace them to your hubs with 14/15 spokes and alloy nipples. Very light and you have the option of running the tape only tubeless system.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
The only problem with that is its only a rim. I need a full wheelset, mine is about to crap out on me.
If you clean, grease, and adjust your hubs they wouldn't cut it? It's just that with only $200 you aren't going to get very good product when you're trying to buy a full wheelset. Weight matters more in the rim than the hub so I figured your heavy hubs built with the best rims, spokes, and nipples would be the best wheelset you can get for $200 (and you'd have to get a good deal on labor to stay under that).

drumbum540

Monkey
Mar 24, 2008
Stephens City, VA
yeah, my hubs are fine, now I understand the rim idea. what all would I need to build a wheelset on my current hubs? and is there any way I could put the flat, bladed spokes on them?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
All you need is alloy nipples, spokes of the correct length, and new rims. Whatever spokes you want will work (if the bladed will fit through the hub holes) but I'd recommend 14/15 gauge round spokes. You'll need to talk to the wheelbuilder at your local shop (bring your wheels in to show him the hubs) to find out what they charge and what spoke length your hub and rim choice dictate.

stuntmanmike

Chimp
May 20, 2008
Get a set of Transition Revolution rims they're 26" & they come in 32 or 36 spoke variations.The best part is that they cost like $289.00 per set w/hubs & there are many different colors to choose from.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Get a set of Transition Revolution rims they're 26" & they come in 32 or 36 spoke variations.The best part is that they cost like $289.00 per set w/hubs & there are many different colors to choose from.
Those are really heavy, and not at all narrow.

I'd get some Mavic 717s on XT hubs.

Edit: saw that the OP is talking about DH. So are you planning on putting skinny road tires on a DH bike? :crazy: We need a better idea of how you're going to be riding.

Last edited: