Quantcast

ARRRRG People Have To Learn How To Drive SUVs

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
So yesterday i was driving in downtown chicago, and turn onto this one street that is being worked on. They put in new sewers, but are waiting to re-pave until spring. Because of this after they put in the pipes, they just put some gravel and asphalt down and never smoothed it. The street is rough, dont get me wrong, going about 35 in my Discovery your shoulders are constantly moving 2-3 in in every direction, but most people in cars drive down the 2 blocks that are torn up at around 15-20mph. So i take a right onto this road, and infront of me is a guy in a stock H2, which still has the stock BFG All-Terrains. Hes going at slower than idle speed, you can tell because his brake lights are on. At first i think hes looking for something, then i realize that hes just driving like an asshat. I begin to honk repeatedly, and flash my brights, he goes the same speed, then i roll down my window, stick my head out and scream "learn how to drive your truck asshole" He stops gets out and walks over to my window and says to me " If you want to drive like a dumbass and destroy your suspension and pop your tires just go right ahead and pass me, im not going to hurt my car by driving recklessly" ---My jaw dropped, and i just looked at him shook my head, and drove around him and his precious H2.

People like this should not be alowed to have SUVs if you think that bumps in the asphalt that slightly rock your car are going to ruin your suspension and pop your tires of your H2 you should be shot. If you buy a SUV of decient size please learn how to drive it, this includes not reducing speed to go up or down the 1in lips in the road when they are resurfacing it, you dont need to slow to a stop to drive your damn SUV down a 1in drop

:mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: rant off

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I thought the whole point of buying a hummer was so you never have to slow down for speed bumps again. I;m confused

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
johnbryanpeters said:
Sounds like you could stand to be without a license for a while.

J
Hey - you aren't the soccer mom who tried to chase me down to lecture me the other day when I was rallying the fiance's turbo'd Subaru are you?

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
ViolentVolante said:
So yesterday i was driving in downtown chicago, and turn onto this one street that is being worked on. They put in new sewers, but are waiting to re-pave until spring. Because of this after they put in the pipes, they just put some gravel and asphalt down and never smoothed it. The street is rough, dont get me wrong, going about 35 in my Discovery your shoulders are constantly moving 2-3 in in every direction, but most people in cars drive down the 2 blocks that are torn up at around 15-20mph. So i take a right onto this road, and infront of me is a guy in a stock H2, which still has the stock BFG All-Terrains. Hes going at slower than idle speed, you can tell because his brake lights are on. At first i think hes looking for something, then i realize that hes just driving like an asshat. I begin to honk repeatedly, and flash my brights, he goes the same speed, then i roll down my window, stick my head out and scream "learn how to drive your truck asshole" He stops gets out and walks over to my window and says to me " If you want to drive like a dumbass and destroy your suspension and pop your tires just go right ahead and pass me, im not going to hurt my car by driving recklessly" ---My jaw dropped, and i just looked at him shook my head, and drove around him and his precious H2.

People like this should not be alowed to have SUVs if you think that bumps in the asphalt that slightly rock your car are going to ruin your suspension and pop your tires of your H2 you should be shot. If you buy a SUV of decient size please learn how to drive it, this includes not reducing speed to go up or down the 1in lips in the road when they are resurfacing it, you dont need to slow to a stop to drive your damn SUV down a 1in drop

I'm kind of disappointed that you didn't pimp-slap him before driving off - but that's just me. About 85% of the dangerous drivers I have seen on the road have been driving overly cautious.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I agree with xblueballsx. There is no need for those things..........None what so ever. You live in chicago for god sakes. Get a subie. :thumb:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I am glad both the H2 and discovery are available just for the purpose of pissing people off like you guys who cant seem to handle the concept of "who give a **** what they drive"

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
It doesnt piss me off at all, I just don't really see the point of driving an Suv in the city. Any one care to tell me why?

You can drive whatever the hell you want to, I dont care.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
It might have something to do with the fact that my city/valley gets the worst air quality in the US during the winter, eh? Maybe if this wasn't the land of the quad cab diesel pickup, it'd be easier to breathe.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Chicago sucks and the people there are not nice by and large and Im glad I no longer live there.

Go Bears, still though.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
ViolentVolante said:
i would hardly call my Discovery a image car :monkey:
I agree.
Everywhere else in the entire world views the Disco has a great off road truck. I don't see how it can be seen as an image car when it can back up everything with great off-road performance.

I wouldn't put it in league with Infinity, Lexus, Cadillac - those things can barely handle gravel parking lots.

Disco's have been used in the Camel Cup Trans-Siberia race. There is even a NA LR sponsored race down the west coast of the Americas and back up Africa currently going on. These things are the real deal.

Hell I'd buy one if I could afford it.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
johnbryanpeters said:
A freaking Land Rover, for chrissakes, shades of Wierd Joseph Lucas! Cutting edge technology frozen in the 19th century by the Brits.

Lucas has been replace by BOSCH!

Gotta hand it to the Germans, they sure know how to make good cars.

( and revive failing british car companies )

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
DVNT said:
Disco's have been used in the Camel Cup Trans-Siberia race. There is even a NA LR sponsored race down the west coast of the Americas and back up Africa currently going on. These things are the real deal.

Hell I'd buy one if I could afford it.
That doesn't mean you need it to drive around Chicago in...

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
True but if your streets are as torn up as they are hear in Atlanta it wouldn't hurt.

True people do buy these things and they never see dirt ever, but all LR dealerships give you free off-road lessons with every purchase.
They make it into a great all day event where they have instructors show you what your vehicle was really made for.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
chicodude01 said:
It doesnt piss me off at all, I just don't really see the point of driving an Suv in the city. Any one care to tell me why?

You can drive whatever the hell you want to, I dont care.
SUV's do kinda serve a purpose to your avarage American family, they allow you to comfortably haul you and your family around. For us 2 large car seats in the back doesn't leave much more room for passengers, not to mention the 2 strollers we keep in the back. They do drive nice, ours have all wheel drive, and yes we need it when we go to our cabin in Tahoe in the winter time. However the guy in the H2 should get his ass kicked for that comment, plus thats what waranties are for.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
land rovers, discos included, are most definitely image cars in the united states. in europe, where you can buy discos without leather interiors and with wimpy but frugal diesel engines, they are rightly regarded as a good truck for off road use. however, in america, where land rover cultivates an "exclusive" image and only sells the disco with leather, road tires, and a thirsty v8, the disco is the vehicle of choice for 30something wives to drive to the spa.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Brian HCM#1 said:
SUV's do kinda serve a purpose to your avarage American family, they allow you to comfortably haul you and your family around. For us 2 large car seats in the back doesn't leave much more room for passengers, not to mention the 2 strollers we keep in the back. They do drive nice, ours have all wheel drive, and yes we need it when we go to our cabin in Tahoe in the winter time. However the guy in the H2 should get his ass kicked for that comment, plus thats what waranties are for.

While i agree with you about the use of suv in area of say, Tahoe. But in the city you dont need them. You can get a mini van that has just as many seats but twice the gas milage.

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
I really dont like SUV's no point for 90% of people. The best is the people that drive huge SUV's, dont offroad, or tow, and they complain about gas prices. Cars are so much more fun to drive anyway :)

On the way to my school, there is an offroad gravel/bumpy stretch about 200m long. People go walking speeds in trucks and suvs. Then when I keep going the SUGGESTED speed, they think that I'm an idiot.. oh well.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Let's see, honking, yelling (probably obsenities), and waving a finger or two... that's road rage (you are officially taking life too seriously). The moment you've let somebody else's car, driving habits, image, whatever, affect your attitude, you've already lost. Why waste your effort in vain?

Note: My problems with the SUV rant doesn't apply if you're doing it for environmental or comedic reasons.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
chicodude01 said:
You can get a mini van that has just as many seats but twice the gas milage.
maybe for a soccer mom, but no way in hell am i ever driving a mini van :angry: i thinking about getting a STI WRX, but its just a thought :think: (quick Luc, wheres a shameless plug)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ViolentVolante said:
maybe for a soccer mom, but no way in hell am i ever driving a mini van :angry: i thinking about getting a STI WRX, but its just a thought :think: (quick Luc, wheres a shameless plug)
this statement proves that the disco is an image vehicle. :think:

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Toshi said:
this statement proves that the disco is an image vehicle. :think:
not this again. If i wanted a hey look at me im the asshole in the fancy car, i would have got a H2, Escalade, Lexus, or X5. I got the rover because it does have great off road capabilities, and i have taken it off roading before, with much success, not something i could have done with the other SUVs. I also picked a Disco because it can fit many bikes in the back due to its very tall roof line, something all of the other cars listed above lacked very much. If youve ever been inside a Disco and all or some of the above cars, sure the My car has leather, but thats about it, its very very utilatarian inside compared to the above asphalt explorers

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
ViolentVolante said:
" If you want to drive like a dumbass and destroy your suspension and pop your tires just go right ahead and pass me, im not going to hurt my car by driving recklessly" ---My jaw dropped, and i just looked at him shook my head, and drove around him and his precious H2.

i totally agree. their precious f***ing 40 thou bomb shelters could break. what an asshat, as you said. who the hell would buy a 40 f***ing thousand dollar block of f***ing concrete in the first place? just do what that guy in colorado, in like granby or wherever did. get a bulldozer, mount metal all over the outside, spaced from the original layer, and fill the gap with concrete. then mount TV's on the inside with outside cameras so you can see. then put an bunch of guns on the outside and go on a shooting rampage. well skip that. Hummers owners in general are dumbasses, and are totally compensating for something. rant in reply to rant over. :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:

bmorekirby

Chimp
Jul 25, 2004
I have sone some research. some people drive giant SUV's because they feel safe. some people drive them for the "pimp factor" with all the options, rims, and LCD screens, and speakers all over the place. some men drive them as an alternative to mini vans, since that makes them seem less "manly" And about 5 people actualy had a reason for a giant SUV for them, such as pulling a horse trailer.

i walked around baltimore one evening and asked about 25-30 people, and this is what i was told.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ViolentVolante said:
not this again. If i wanted a hey look at me im the asshole in the fancy car, i would have got a H2, Escalade, Lexus, or X5. I got the rover because it does have great off road capabilities, and i have taken it off roading before, with much success, not something i could have done with the other SUVs. I also picked a Disco because it can fit many bikes in the back due to its very tall roof line, something all of the other cars listed above lacked very much. If youve ever been inside a Disco and all or some of the above cars, sure the My car has leather, but thats about it, its very very utilatarian inside compared to the above asphalt explorers
you picked it for its off road IMAGE. that it is spartan and drives like a tank (judging from all available reviews, possibly excepting the latest redesign this year) is only further evidence that image overpowers reason

(note that i'm not some anti-suv crusader. i just think that what land rover has done in the u.s. is obscene)

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
Toshi said:
you picked it for its off road IMAGE. that it is spartan and drives like a tank (judging from all available reviews, possibly excepting the latest redesign this year) is only further evidence that image overpowers reason

(note that i'm not some anti-suv crusader. i just think that what land rover has done in the u.s. is obscene)
lay off, the damn car drives well. and how do you guys know how much he goes off-roading? his image is what he says it is. besides that, this thread isn't about images anyhow. it's about he assholes who won't f***ing drive their rolling cinderblocks like they're made for. :)

p.s. minivans are for soccermoms only. and tom from nederland :evil:

bmorekirby

Chimp
Jul 25, 2004
ViolentVolante said:
i was in baltimore a few weeks ago, that city is seriously lagging in the sexy woman walking around area :dead:
dude, my ex girlfriend is from baltimore! and she's smokin hot! but i agree, DC's better when it comes to women.