Quantcast

At risk of being mocked...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I have a question. I'm just going to wind up fiddling and fixing this problem, but I'd like it to work...

Symptom: Lots of slack in chain between chain guide and rear derailleur (bottom). Enough that my chain rubs pretty much constantly against my rear tire. Thing is, this only happens while riding downhill on bumpy trails. I couldn't produce the "phenomenon" on level ground bouncing around.

Remedy (?): I figure my chain is just too long. (Installed by my LBS, by the way...) Should I just take out a few links? The chain is a SRAM. Been a while since I've monkeyed with a chain, and the last time, the chain had a stiff spot in it I could never quite get rid of, so I'd like to avoid that.

So?, sound about right? Other suggestions?

Feel free to mock, but 1 useful comment per jab please.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
take out some links, yeah. to get the stiff spot out you need to bend it in a V with the apex at the stiff link, and then twist it back and forth with all your strength. unless you're more manly than i am (answer: no :D) then the chain should be fine.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Toshi's right, you may just need to take out a few links. Just make sure to use new pins (if it's that type), and to use a "GOOD" chain tool. I recommend the park chain tool. Works great. If you're down to get a new chain all together, I like the shimano HG series. They have really easy to install chain pins.... no more of those pesky flat top pins flying around the room at supersonic speeds when you try to install them.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
with the SRAM chain you have a quick link to break the chain this also prevents tight spots, and chain breakage from improperly installed links the SRAM chains rock.