Quantcast

BeerMe

Monkey
Apr 18, 2008
FOCO NOCO
"ATF" is a broad term these days. As mentioned some have friction modifiers and other enhancers. But for the most part, as I'm sure most of you know, ATF is just a lubricant. And a very good one at that. It won't combust or burn. I know people who have done this very thing for decades with no ill effects. Granted, those were not spanking new DMAX engines with bells and whistles galore.
One of these guys I know drives an old VW that he runs on jet fuel because he gets it for free. He just mixes it with ATF to act as a lubricant and he says it runs no different than diesel ever did.
So the idea that you just absolutely can not and should not ever do this because it's bad and "I said so I work on these things" is an attempt to apply your specific experience with a very broad science. Does it help the OP's truck? Maybe not and you have insight into that. But can it help other diesel engines? The answer is without a doubt, yes.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
atf has detergents in it, I have heard of people putting a quart of it in the engine oil shortly before a change to do some cleaning. But don't some types of atf have friction modifiers in them? seems like those might be kind of hard on an injection pump. for what injection pumps and injectors cost I can't see the cost savings of adding it to your fuel being worth the risk.

Yes, people use it as a cleaner for lifters and such, it works, seen it work myself with noisy lifters that just wont pump up..... Risalone does exactly the same thing though.

On the note of the friction modifiers, thats the part were this gets to be a problem, starting with dex3, they have all had some type of friction modification. This is the stuff that doesnt burn, but instead gums up the pistons, injectors, injection pump ETC...

"ATF" is a broad term these days. As mentioned some have friction modifiers and other enhancers. But for the most part, as I'm sure most of you know, ATF is just a lubricant. And a very good one at that. It won't combust or burn. I know people who have done this very thing for decades with no ill effects. Granted, those were not spanking new DMAX engines with bells and whistles galore.
One of these guys I know drives an old VW that he runs on jet fuel because he gets it for free. He just mixes it with ATF to act as a lubricant and he says it runs no different than diesel ever did.
So the idea that you just absolutely can not and should not ever do this because it's bad and "I said so I work on these things" is an attempt to apply your specific experience with a very broad science. Does it help the OP's truck? Maybe not and you have insight into that. But can it help other diesel engines? The answer is without a doubt, yes.

Transmission fluid does indeed burn and is combustable, used in the old style heaters many times. It is far from just a lubricant, the lubricant side of it is a side effect actualy, ATF, is a hydraulic fluid, that is in fact its main purpose.

Just like additives designed for this purpose, it still has to be done correctly with one that works.... that would be old school type f.....

Still illeagal being it is not designed to be used in this manor, still tints the fuel red which is a whole other list of reasons why not to........

If your not set on it being a terrible lubricant, talk to my coworker who used to use dex for air tool oil......... Ask him about what kind of condition his tools were in after two years.

BeerMe

Monkey
Apr 18, 2008
FOCO NOCO
You are right about the ATF being combustible. I don't know what I was thinking when I put that in there. Memorial day was good to me. Today was not.

A few comments from a hradcore diesel geek:
Dont use ATF. Since the introduction of ULSD in 2007 (less sulphur less lubrication) the best thing for pre 07 trucks is 1oz/per gallon of low ash 2 stroke oil that you can get from walmart. ITs branded as Tcw3 on the bottle.
All the other diesel additives may clean the fuel system and boost cetane but alomost all of them contain alocohol as a solvent and so you are NOT lubricating the injectors which is the main point b/c they cost an arm and a leg to replace.
About a year ago one of the top diesel mags did an all out test of every additive that can be used and thats the bottom line.
As far as other mods , 4" downpipe and exhaust is plenty good un less your start doing really serious mods like bigger turbos and start spraying drugs to light the turbo sooner.
I could go on and on but thats really is the bottom line.
I know GFF knows his sh!t but so do i. I have towed a 34' 14k lbs 5th wheel all over the states during a 2 year trip in my 04 6.0 .
The best value exhaust is MBRP best tuners are SCT with custom tunes by far.
If you dont "need" a diesel F-250 , 2500 then please dont get one. They are expensive to maintain and repair and the latest ones have so much electronics is getting close to space shuttle absurdity.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
If you dont "need" a diesel F-250 , 2500 then please dont get one. They are expensive to maintain and repair and the latest ones have so much electronics is getting close to space shuttle absurdity.
Haha, my truck has only towed a 12ft open trailer with 4 motorcycles in it :p

I do plan on getting a trailer though, haha.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
A few comments from a hradcore diesel geek:
Dont use ATF. Since the introduction of ULSD in 2007 (less sulphur less lubrication) the best thing for pre 07 trucks is 1oz/per gallon of low ash 2 stroke oil that you can get from walmart. ITs branded as Tcw3 on the bottle.
All the other diesel additives may clean the fuel system and boost cetane but alomost all of them contain alocohol as a solvent and so you are NOT lubricating the injectors which is the main point b/c they cost an arm and a leg to replace.
About a year ago one of the top diesel mags did an all out test of every additive that can be used and thats the bottom line.
As far as other mods , 4" downpipe and exhaust is plenty good un less your start doing really serious mods like bigger turbos and start spraying drugs to light the turbo sooner.
I could go on and on but thats really is the bottom line.
I know GFF knows his sh!t but so do i. I have towed a 34' 14k lbs 5th wheel all over the states during a 2 year trip in my 04 6.0 .
The best value exhaust is MBRP best tuners are SCT with custom tunes by far.

For those unsure.... tcw3 would be marine grade 2cycle oil.......

If you still have a cat.... dont use it, itll foul the cats..... well that would be a california statement these days...