Quantcast

ATT problems

bfranke

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
San Diego
Was there yesterday and the ranger chick was turning riders away, saying it's national forest land, private property, tribal land, blah blah blah. We got there early enough to get a ride in, but had some problems going back to the top to retrieve the other truck. Luckily she let us through, but we did see a couple of guys get shut down. Those guys mentioned something about a gate being put in that would be for the residents only. Looks like another cool spot is going by the wayside....

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
bfranke said:
Was there yesterday and the ranger chick was turning riders away, saying it's national forest land, private property, tribal land, blah blah blah. We got there early enough to get a ride in, but had some problems going back to the top to retrieve the other truck. Luckily she let us through, but we did see a couple of guys get shut down. Those guys mentioned something about a gate being put in that would be for the residents only. Looks like another cool spot is going by the wayside....
Damn. It seems like the developers and the forest service is in cahoots and neither side will be happy till all of So Cal is covered in concrete and the rangers are out of jobs.

I just moved out to Riverside county and it's sad to see all the development out here. When I was a kid there wasn't much of anything out here, except the race track. Now it's all houses or bulldozers flattening hills to put more houses on.

It's really sad.

wirly

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego
We had the same experience on Saturday. Heard that same thing about the gate as well.
Very disappointed to this happen. It was a great place to ride.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
You can still ride up from the bottom though can't you? I haven't been out there since I moved in Februrary but as far as I know the go around at the bottom is still wide open. It's a tough climb on a downhilll bike but it's manageable on a freeride bike and might even be fun on an XC or Trail bike.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Aquaholic said:
UHMMMMMMMM....because there's pedals and a crankset on our bicycles?
Meh... some days you ride up the hill, some days you shuttle. Ride anyway you can and don't limit yourself.

Don't bitch about how people ride their bikes. Just be glad that they are riding their bikes.

dft

Chimp
Apr 27, 2004
Ciaran said:
Meh... some days you ride up the hill, some days you shuttle. Ride anyway you can and don't limit yourself.

Don't bitch about how people ride their bikes. Just be glad that they are riding their bikes.
ahh used to do the every wednesday climb with the 42 pound rig.
sack up shuttle boys, that will be the only way soon to do it:)
or just ride TW:)

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
Aquaholic said:
Nothing warms my heart more than seeing peeps climbing on their big beast bikes.

JUST SAY NO (to shuttling).
Haha, this was a hot subject back in the day.

Shuttling is as much a part of mountain biking as lycra and skin suits. Honestly though, what harm comes in shuttling a trail that is shuttle-able/legal? :-)think: ) I've been riding mountain bikes for a good 5 years and have enjoyed all types of riding. I've raced up noble on my 21 lb hardtail with pro XC riders and have also done a little downhill racing/riding :-)rofl: ). When I'm out at my local spot and see another cyclist, I'm stoked...whether they are on a Karpriel with 12 inches of travel and a Super monster or a Surly Steamroller with 1.85 tires.

With access issues such as this one (ATT), it does not seem right to go out on an unnecessary tangent just to diss another type of rider, childish really.

dft

Chimp
Apr 27, 2004
Fonzie18 said:

Shuttling is as much a part of mountain biking as lycra and skin suits. Honestly though, what harm comes in shuttling a trail that is shuttle-able/legal? :-)think: ) I've been riding mountain bikes for a good 5 years and have enjoyed all types of riding. I've raced up noble on my 21 lb hardtail with pro XC riders and have also done a little downhill racing/riding :-)rofl: ). When I'm out at my local spot and see another cyclist, I'm stoked...whether they are on a Karpriel with 12 inches of travel and a Super monster or a Surly Steamroller with 1.85 tires.

With access issues such as this one (ATT), it does not seem right to go out on an unnecessary tangent just to diss another type of rider, childish really.
a couple things to remember:
1. almost nothing said on these forumns is taking seriously, all pure enertainment.
2. aqua is just razzing you, having a good time. (unless you mess with noble!:)
3. i agree, why does anyone care if people shuttle, ride, hike or helicopter to the op, who friggin cares. do whatever works for you.

i just think that the shuttle option might go away here, nothing against shutteling.

GunShow?

Chimp
May 12, 2004
Fonzie18 said:

He thought he was on MTBR when he posted that reply.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
dft said:
a couple things to remember:
1. almost nothing said on these forumns is taking seriously, all pure enertainment.
2. aqua is just razzing you, having a good time. (unless you mess with noble!:)
3. i agree, why does anyone care if people shuttle, ride, hike or helicopter to the op, who friggin cares. do whatever works for you.

i just think that the shuttle option might go away here, nothing against shutteling.
Oh, then I seemed to miss the sarcasm on the two replies...my bad I guess.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Actually having lived on Peutz Valley Rd and meeting some of the other people who live out there, shuttling is a bad idea. The locals don't like people driving trucks full of bikes down their driveway. That road takes a lot of mantinence and the county is very slow to respond so most of the work get's done by locals with tractors or locals with money to hire a contractor. Nothing would frustrate me more than watching a 17 yr old kid in his daddy's truck doing doughnuts on the road I just spent 3 days grading with a bobcat.

Seriously if you have legs, pedal up the hill.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
Kornphlake said:
Actually having lived on Peutz Valley Rd and meeting some of the other people who live out there, shuttling is a bad idea. The locals don't like people driving trucks full of bikes down their driveway. That road takes a lot of mantinence and the county is very slow to respond so most of the work get's done by locals with tractors or locals with money to hire a contractor. Nothing would frustrate me more than watching a 17 yr old kid in his daddy's truck doing doughnuts on the road I just spent 3 days grading with a bobcat.

Seriously if you have legs, pedal up the hill.
Peutz Valley, that's the road that crosses under I-8 is it not? If I remember correctly, that is where all riders stage. When I would do XC rides at Anderson, we would park there and ride up Peutz to the trail head.
I believe the problems were at the top, where the ranger lady would make her guest appearances.
As for parking in driveways? I don't think there were many driveways between the "staging" area and the old trail head. Maybe you did not mean "driveways" literally, but rather parking on Peutz. I wouldn't see that as much of a problem..considering that, as mentioned, there was always construction and heavy machines parked along that stretch of Peutz (not to mention that it is legal to park on Peutz)
But I'm rambling...

The only beef I had with the situation is the countless times my life has been threatened, guns pointed at me and my friends (while on a XC bike, without lycra), and many broken windows while parked under the bridge at Peutz. The situation was not good out there, which is why I have not gone to Anderson for the past 3 years. Trail access affects all of us.

Viva East County.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Fonzie18 said:
Peutz Valley, that's the road that crosses under I-8 is it not? If I remember correctly, that is where all riders stage. When I would do XC rides at Anderson, we would park there and ride up Peutz to the trail head.
I believe the problems were at the top, where the ranger lady would make her guest appearances.
As for parking in driveways? I don't think there were many driveways between the "staging" area and the old trail head. Maybe you did not mean "driveways" literally, but rather parking on Peutz. I wouldn't see that as much of a problem..considering that, as mentioned, there was always construction and heavy machines parked along that stretch of Peutz (not to mention that it is legal to park on Peutz)
But I'm rambling...

The only beef I had with the situation is the countless times my life has been threatened, guns pointed at me and my friends (while on a XC bike, without lycra), and many broken windows while parked under the bridge at Peutz. The situation was not good out there, which is why I have not gone to Anderson for the past 3 years. Trail access affects all of us.

Viva East County.

Actually I was referring to Anderson Rd where it turns to dirt past the gate, not peutz valley rd, which also turns to dirt about 3 miles from alpine blvd. Anderson rd is essentially a driveway for a couple dozen homes back in the hills, the residents do a lot of the mantinance on the road just like I did a lot of mantinance on Peutz Valley rd. It's their driveway more than it is a public road. Respect the locals and keep as many vehicles off the dirt road as possible, it may seem fun to drive the dirt road once a month but it's not so fun to drive 3 miles of washboards every day.

Park where you want on Peutz Valley rd, where it's legal to park and ride where you need to go, rather up alpine blvd to victoria to anderson, or skirt around the wall of bofus and ride the trail up. Shuttling is an annoyance to those who live on Anderson Rd. especially when you're shuttling at mach 3 and tearing up the road.

Anderson isn't that fun of a trail anyway, there are plenty of places to ride without the headache. Leave the trail to Aquaholic and his gang of knuckleheads.;)

bfranke

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
San Diego
Kornphlake said:
Shuttling is an annoyance to those who live on Anderson Rd. especially when you're shuttling at mach 3 and tearing up the road.
I HIGHLY doubt the mountain bike shuttlers are doing donuts and going mach 3 with bikes that cost over $2,000 in the back of their trucks. I've seen plenty of "kids" in 4X's racing through the roads back there, but as usual, blame it on the bikers.....

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
bfranke said:
as usual, blame it on the bikers.....
Which is why it's important to be considerate, everything will be blamed on the bikers. I'm sure if they hadn't caught the guy who started the Cedar fire, it too would have been blamed on bikers taking a smoking break. Show the world that bikers aren't 2nd class citizens and maybe in 20 years that will change.

wirly

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego
Kornphlake said:
Anderson isn't that fun of a trail anyway, there are plenty of places to ride without the headache.
Huh?:confused: I know it's all a matter of personal preference, but Anderson not fun? Maybe not on a fully rigid, or if you just don’t like that sort of thing, but I'm hard pressed to think of another trail in SD that, when ridden in the gravity-assist direction, offers the uncontrollable-grin inducing variety over that distance. TWP is fun and more challenging, but WAY short. It's more of a jump park in comparison. Noble is amazing, but it's a totally different kind of trail so no comparison. Morena is a blast, but, again, the gravity-assist sections are short and require a lot of shuttles.

I must admit, however, the friction out there has taken almost every bit of fun out of Anderson for me (again). I have no interest in pissing off people, and I’m pretty bummed things are this way again. I have to think the anger toward bikers is misguided (as has been noted, I think few of us are out there to break into homes, drink a lot of beer, conduct activities requiring condoms or drive our vehicles (4 wheeled) off the cliffs), but as a home owner, I’m sure I wouldn’t want to spend the time to sort out the “bad” from the “good” either.

Just my take. :)

Have fun ridin’!