Quantcast

Attention all MTB Street Riders

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Originally posted by dromond
I think it depends. There are certainly people bigger than you who ride that size bike, but whether or not you will like it is another story. If all else fails and you can't get used to it you can get a longer stem. Word on the street is that Fit makes a nice longer one.
I'm not being a dick, but does 1/2 " really make that much of a difference?

Knuckle

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
Originally posted by Knuckleslammer
I'm not being a dick, but does 1/2 " really make that much of a difference?

Knuckle
Why don't you ride your bike and tell me?

It's half the difference between a long bmx and a short one.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Yeah, it sucks caus I really like the bike and I don't want to spend 1200 to build one, the only other one they had was a dk I think which I diddn't like as much. I only rode one that was 21 inch and it felt ok. I'll have to try them out again. Thanks man.

Knuckle

PaulE

Chimp
Feb 7, 2003
Sheffield, England
knuckle, I'm taller than you and happily ride street on a 20.5" bike. I do use a longer than normal stem though, but they're cheap.

As for the gearing, if you've not yet bought the cassette hubs, I'd be tempted to go for a rear G-sport hub, with an odessy 13T freewheel and 36T chainring. The g-sport hubs are loads stronger and more reliable than any cassette, and only a few grammes heavier. My brother's been running this setup for a few months now, and loves it. I'm waiting to get enought cash to upgrade to a g-sport myself as my present 14mm hub is already on the way out after 3 months :(

Unless you're going to do loads of crooked grinds, then I'd personally avoid going for really tiny gearing.... from what I've seen, it's a lot more susceptible to wear, and more likely for the chain to slip under load.

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
Originally posted by Knuckleslammer
Yo, I ordered an Eastern Jane. But it only comes in 20.5. I'm 6'0 tall. Is this a no no or do you think I'll be able to cut it?

Knuckle
I'm 6' 2" and used to ride a 20.5 with no problems, even though now I like my 21" a whole lot more:D

Apr 29, 2004
culpeper VA
So I teach a beginners mtn bike ride, and after 6 years of it, I started getting bored. So I pull out my 20", and start riding in mtn. biking while teaching. Talk about fun, you can't really go as far, but things that a mtn bike just bounces over, you suddenly have to play with. Logs, dips, all the like.
Any way, was fun on that ride, but I couldn't keep up with the fast guys. So I got a redline monocog, ss. Its like a bmx bike with 26' wheels, and its beefy. Either way I just love riding, but the simplicity of bmx, or single speed is just great!

dirtbrosrule

Chimp
May 8, 2004
i ride mostly mtb urban and skatepark now but im coming from a bmx background of atleast 3 years. but it is nice to ride a small bike every once in a while so i have a bmx that i ride sometimes for street.

This thread makes me happy.

The main reason that I stopped riding my BMX seriously was that there was a definite lack of the type of terrain I wanted to ride.
(I am a vert ramp rider).
Now granted there are far more skateparks than in the late 80s early ninteys.. which is great, but with older (my age) people starting to ride BMX again.. I can forsee the day again when I will be able to access a real 12 foot vert halfpipe..
:) :D

This is something I miss more than I can describe. I have done alot of diff. things on my MTBs but none will ever compare to an alleyoop turndown eight feet out.
I have never felt as comfortable on any MTB as I did on my BMX and I still think twice about attempting the same tricks I can do without thinking on the bmx on the bigger bike.

I still have my BMX although it is not with me at present (it is back east), and I am glad to hear that more people are "getting back to the basics" of where tricks on bikes started..