Quantcast

Attention WRX owners

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I just want to say that I think you all suck. Not really, but I test drove an STi and had a blast in that car. If I could justify another car right now, it would be mine.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I still don't like them. I don't fit that well in them and for what they cost, I can't justify it.
I'm 6'2" and 225 lbs and I wasn't uncomfortable at all. But then again, maybe it was because I was pinned back in the seat most of the time. I didn't think the price was that bad, either. This one was a 2004 with 7000 miles on it. They were asking $25,900 for it.

tmoney727t

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Madison, CT
STi's are too highly tuned for every day driving. purebread cars made to go fast. plus with that turbo in them i would only expect one to last boaut 3 years.

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Subarus driven sensibly will last a lot longer than most things built in the US. 300,000 miles is not an uncommon phenomomen.

Turbo models last as long as they are given quality fuel amd regular oil changes and servicing. When people cheap a$$ their refills then flog the turbo hard on old oil , what do you expect.

My eight year old Legacy still has panel gaps like factory and A1 mechanicals. Still yet to change the brake pads for the first time too! And it just ticked over 111,000. Name me anything than Ford or GM make that matches that.

As for Sti's being tuned too hard for normal driving, stop reading the conservative car mag articles and subscribe to something a little less grey hair oriented. Yes, they are tuned to run harder than a standard rex. But thats what people who really buy it want out of it and expect so.

You may as well say a Corvette Z06 is impractical as a daily driver which it is, but it is not meant to a daily.

Sure people drive them daily but they have chosen to live with the small downsides for the big upside when you suddenly get a long, empty, twisty section of mountain road infront.

Right tool for the job.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Joeray, get back to us when your head gasket blows. Should be any day now given your mileage. I've had 3 subies and they're good machines but they're not infallible.

jvp108

king of the road
Mar 21, 2006
filthadelphia
I agree with dan-o. Within 3 years of 60K of highway driving (still have 50% of OEM Brake pads left) i had to change the Wheel Bearings, Radiator (defective), clutch (defective), etc. not to mention putting up with dash creaks and driver's window squeal.

I drive the car like it's a civic so no abuse and regular Mobil 1 changes and 93 octane. If i didn't hate having a car payment so much I would be rid of it. The car feels solid and drives great, I just think Subaru comes in last place when it comes to Japanese mfgs which is still ahead of any US mfg.

BillT

Monkey
In my 4 years and 65k mileage, the only non-routine maintenance that has been performed on my WRX was the replacement of the rear O2 sensor about 2k miles ago. The only other things I have had to do are replace tires (once, though I need to replace my current ones soon) and get new rotors and pads up front. Head gaskets were an issue with some of the slightly older Subarus (either the SOHC or DOHC 2.5L engines during a certain period, can't remember the details), but the current crop of turbo and NA engines have been pretty solid.

Nov 4, 2003
80,000 miles and 5 years of AutoX. Brake pads and R-compound tires (AutoXing) are the only thing I've worn out so far. JDM Sti struts and springs, MRT strut plates, rotors, and stainless hoses, Perrin rear sway bar, 3" stainless turbo back exhaust, JDM Sti RA gear set, Exedy street clutch, USDM Sti intercooler, and 230 awhp via self tuned ECU (~20 more when I can tune with a wideband O2 sensor). My experience with the reliability and quality of Subaru parts has been nothing short of excellence. Although I must admit I don't drive every day (that's what the bikes are for) and only use the car to race, get groceries, and road trips.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm 6'2" and 225 lbs and I wasn't uncomfortable at all. But then again, maybe it was because I was pinned back in the seat most of the time. I didn't think the price was that bad, either. This one was a 2004 with 7000 miles on it. They were asking $25,900 for it.
A guy at work just got a 04 350z for 22k and I would have to say it's a lot more fun to drive (and it's lacks turbo).

Maybe it's the all wheel drive thing, but for me it's not as fun to drive as a solid rear wheel drive car. Hell, my '72 240z was at least twice as fun as my friends STi.

Different strokes I guess.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
80,000 miles and 5 years of AutoX. Brake pads and R-compound tires (AutoXing) are the only thing I've worn out so far. JDM Sti struts and springs, MRT strut plates, rotors, and stainless hoses, Perrin rear sway bar, 3" stainless turbo back exhaust, JDM Sti RA gear set, Exedy street clutch, USDM Sti intercooler, and 230 awhp via self tuned ECU (~20 more when I can tune with a wideband O2 sensor). My experience with the reliability and quality of Subaru parts has been nothing short of excellence. Although I must admit I don't drive every day (that's what the bikes are for) and only use the car to race, get groceries, and road trips.
which R comps are you using? what width, and on what width rim? i'm trying to decide whether to go with Azenis RT615s, RA1s, or Kumho 710s for next season...

Nov 4, 2003
Kumho VictoRacer V7 225/50ZR16 on painted black stock rims (2002). They are the only tires I've ever used besides Azenis ST615's in the rain ( 1-2 " of water in certain sections of the course ). Just watch the tire pressure in the Kumhos, once it gets above ~45ish they can get pretty slick on really hot days. I normally try to go 38 front, 40 or 42 rear. I suggest checking out the forums at www.nasioc.com for more info on tires, WRX's, and Off Topic laughs...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Kumho VictoRacer V7 225/50ZR16 on painted black stock rims (2002). They are the only tires I've ever used besides Azenis ST615's in the rain ( 1-2 " of water in certain sections of the course ). Just watch the tire pressure in the Kumhos, once it gets above ~45ish they can get pretty slick on really hot days. I normally try to go 38 front, 40 or 42 rear. I suggest checking out the forums at www.nasioc.com for more info on tires, WRX's, and Off Topic laughs...
thanks. i'm shikataganai on nasioc, btw. in fact, you can read my thread on autox tire choice over there (and vote on the poll!):

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1092739

WSR Crash

Chimp
Apr 21, 2006
White Pine, Tn
the subbies are sharp but I have an 02 GMC 2500 hd 4X4 with a utility bed and is worked hard Changed the brakes at 145,000 miles. This truck now has 231,000 miles and everything still works original engine and tranny. For the person who wanted an example of an American vehicle lasting:bonk:

Mar 9, 2006
behind you !!! ARRRR...
the subbies are sharp but I have an 02 GMC 2500 hd 4X4 with a utility bed and is worked hard Changed the brakes at 145,000 miles. This truck now has 231,000 miles and everything still works original engine and tranny. For the person who wanted an example of an American vehicle lasting:bonk:
American quality can suck my balls, I have a Chevy Colorado now with 31,000 miles. I probably will not buy american again.