Quantcast

Attn: To those who think they own the road:

jvp108

king of the road
Mar 21, 2006
filthadelphia
So I was driving to work on this back road this morning where the speed limit is 25. It's a winding downhill stretch. I was going about 40 and slowing down when I spot this guy standing at an intersection where there are cars parked in the morning (I'm assuming waiting for their kids at the bus stop). Not in the road in my way, but just at the intersection...he starts to wave his hands downward in a "slow down" motion.

I didn’t slow any more than I was already slowing before I saw him, but I just stared him down as I went by. I was thinking "I hope you do that to the wrong person soon, they would stop and get out to punch you in the face"

There are never any kids standing outside...they must wait in the cars or something. It's not a residential development or anything, it's a main road with a wooded hillside on the left and a house here or there on the right.

I'm not here to advocate speeding in residential areas or unsafe driving...but it just annoyed me that some guy thinks he has special powers just because he is standing at a bus stop. If you think a road is dangerous, teach your kids to stay away from it...don't play gym class hero and annoy people. If I get pulled over by a cop...then I'm the azzhat. But until that happens, STFU. Rant over.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
If you were on your bike (or recumbent) I think you would be less of douche for this post....nah not even if you were on your recumbent. ;) :D

jvp108

king of the road
Mar 21, 2006
filthadelphia
I totally disagree with you.
Allow me to elaborate: I realized I was going too fast, esp. with school buses out and about, hence the slowing down even before I saw the guy wave his arms. I was going too fast, indeed. My point is I thought that guy was annoying.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Wait, you were speeding in an area with parked cars and children and you are the one who is pissed off. i agree with Heidi, I totally disagree with you.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Next time, maybe someone will chuck a crow bar through your spokes.

jvp108

king of the road
Mar 21, 2006
filthadelphia
Wait, you were speeding in an area with parked cars and children and you are the one who is pissed off. i agree with Heidi, I totally disagree with you.
The parked cars (2) are on road perpendicular to the main road about 30 feet back. There are never any children on that road in the year that I have driven it twice a day. There are no children standing at what I assumed to be a bus stop. There are no signs saying "Bus Stop Ahead" They may be parked there with no one in the cars at all.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Ok, windshield.

After all, it is the city of brotherly love.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
when thinking of you, the term 'douchenozzle' seems appropriate.

since you are able to actively flout existing traffic rules, i suppose that means you own the road?

jvp108

king of the road
Mar 21, 2006
filthadelphia
when thinking of you, the term 'douchenozzle' seems appropriate.

since you are able to actively flout existing traffic rules, i suppose that means you own the road?
Now, I won't call anyone names here since I'm sure all of you never ever speed, come to a comeplete stop at stop signs, and always slow to a stop when the light turns yellow. In fact, there are so many people doing 55 on the highway, it's great!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Allow me to elaborate: I realized I was going too fast, esp. with school buses out and about, hence the slowing down even before I saw the guy wave his arms. I was going too fast, indeed. My point is I thought that guy was annoying.
Well if you hadn't been going almost twice the speed limit, he might not have felt it necessary to annoy you.

And in a neighborhood where kids may or may not be present, you're damn straight I go the speed limit and stop at stop signs. For christsake it school bus stop you were rolling up on. Did you expect to be showered with flowers and women?

Ok, windshield.

After all, it is the city of brotherly love.
Funny, I didn't feel any love growing up there. In fact, I distinctly remember getting my @ss beat a lot by these three brothers until I literally cracked one of their skulls open with a baseball bat and put him in the hospital :poster_oops: . After that nobody messed with me ever again.

Oh and JVP108, don't feel bad it must be a philly thing. I think it's just the way we get used to everybody doing 90 everywhere and weaving in and out of traffic. Don't ever move to the south - everyone thinks that 55 in a 65 zone is an acceptable speed in the left lane and they refuse to move over. Really ticks me off. I start to look like this :twitch: after 30 minutes in the car.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Why do people have to be an asshat until someone tells them to stop? Why can't they not be asshat's on their own?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
:rofl:

"I was speeding near a kids bus stop, going almost twice the posted limit, and someone waved at me to slow down. What an ass! I hope he gets punched! If he doesn't like my speeding, he shouldn't be near the road! In fact, I'm only wrong to speed if I actually get pulled over - until then, it's totally fine!"

High comedy, I tell you :thumb:

jvp108

king of the road
Mar 21, 2006
filthadelphia
So, you're avatar's a lie. I shutter to think that the number of stretched out dudes riding recumbents is multiplying :shocked:
I only take the recumbent out on paved, multi-use trails where there are many joggers and bikers who can see how awesome I am. People in cars just laugh at me.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Why would someone throw a crowbar into my windshield? That doesn't even make sense.

Not sure why they call it the city of brotherly love...murder rate is pretty high.
For driving like a cvnt perhaps?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Last summer a friend of mine who is a very talented local road racer was out in his front yard (he lives in a quiet neighborhood) and saw a Porsche doing about 70 down his street. He waved his arms asking them to slow down. They stopped and beat him within inches of his life with one of the landscaping rocks from his yard, then left him there to die. He almost died that day and is still recovering.

I suppose you think he got what he deserved?

Well the guys who did it eventually got caught and the court system didn't seem to share your opinion.

jvp108

king of the road
Mar 21, 2006
filthadelphia
Last summer a friend of mine who is a very talented local road racer was out in his front yard (he lives in a quiet neighborhood) and saw a Porsche doing about 70 down his street. He waved his arms asking them to slow down. They stopped and beat him within inches of his life with one of the landscaping rocks from his yard, then left him there to die. He almost died that day and is still recovering.

I suppose you think he got what he deserved?

Well the guys who did it eventually got caught and the court system didn't seem to share your opinion.

there is a difference between getting annoyed and complaining on the internet and assult with the intent to kill. everyone here needs to relax.

jvp108

king of the road
Mar 21, 2006
filthadelphia
I bet you annoyed him more than he annoyed you. And he was in the right.
And sorry about your friend, but there are mean people out there that are evil. That was another point of mine, some people just shrug it off and some people stop and back up.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
next time i'll just post "I punt kittens" and call it a day. Less controversy there.
i have and extra shovel lying around here somewhere that you can borrow.

use it to dig an escape tunnel out of the hole you've dug for yourself.