Quantcast

Audi allroad

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
I'm looking at a 2004 Audi Allroad, and am having trouble finding a trailer hitch that would work with a sportworks rack for the car. does anyone have any experience with this car, and if so how did you go about fitting multiple downhill bikes on it. Thanks.

(hopefully this isn't out of place in this forum. If so go ahead and move it).

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'm looking at a 2004 Audi Allroad, and am having trouble finding a trailer hitch that would work with a sportworks rack for the car. does anyone have any experience with this car, and if so how did you go about fitting multiple downhill bikes on it. Thanks.

(hopefully this isn't out of place in this forum. If so go ahead and move it).
Good luck finding one thats trustworthy. I was between that car a BMW 5 series, landrover discovery se7 and the suburban. After all of the deliberation and another kid on the way I opted for the suburban, its the only way to get 5 DH bikes in the rear and still carry 5 guys.

The allroads are great cars, if you get it enjoy. :thumb:

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
How many bikes are you looking to haul?

If you only need to move one or two just get a roof rack. I've never trusted hitch racks.

One could get a small trailer and set up a bike rack and gear box in that.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
the best way is the thule racks that go over the front wheel so they fit any downhill bike.

my buddy currently has 3 on his 96 maxima its an amazing setup because his cars tuned a lil bit and u dont have to worry about the bike flying around up there even when your going balls out. his cars also lowered so its easy as hell to just toss the bikes up there.

he could fit a 4th rack on the roof but then it starts to get real crowded up there and prolly kills the gas mileage.

i also liked these racks because they have a little lock built in, so u can use a big cable along with a small lock and the locks that come on the racks and i have no problem leaving my downhill bike in a well lit parking lot over night cause its just near to impossible to get them off without ripping the rack apart at the seams.

the individual carriers run about 300$ once you have bars on your roof that they will fit so expect to spend at least 900 with a 3 bike setup........ at least.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Good luck finding one thats trustworthy. I was between that car a BMW 5 series, landrover discovery se7 and the suburban.
If you're in the market for these 3 cars you were probably looking at the allroad for all the wrong reasons ;) Get the all road if you want a toy hauler with solid handling at higher speeds, stuff a suburban would never give you. Now a suburban is unbeatable for room but I could never trade the **** handling for the extra room myself (but I am ONE not FIVE ;) ).

Mileage is good for such a heavy/quote powerful car too. Easy to get 25mpg+ on it!!

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I've got an Audi S4 and I have a Yakima roof rack that will hold 3 DH bikes. It's all preference but I think the roof rack looks great on the car and you don't have to worry about the bikes flying off when you're driving way too fast.

As far as a trailer hitch...I know that Uhaul can usually hook something up for you but it won't be cheap on an Audi.

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
my mom has an 2006 4.2 liter audi allroad. sweet car. and we had trouble finding a hitch but i think got audi to put one on. it works great

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
I've got an Audi S4 and I have a Yakima roof rack that will hold 3 DH bikes. It's all preference but I think the roof rack looks great on the car and you don't have to worry about the bikes flying off when you're driving way too fast. .
In my experience (with only 2 bikes) the bars (and the bikes) start moving back along the factory tracks above 110mph.. Not too sure how much faster you could go before ripping the whole thing off. :banghead:

Joey

Monkey
Feb 8, 2002
West Tennessee
A rear end "fender bender" with your bikes on the back would suck. I've seen it happen a time or two. Terrible Vegas drivers . . .

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
if you're super tired and you're trying to lift your DH bike onto your roof, you might drop it and seriously jack up the car. that is another aspect of how a roof rack can damage your car, as well as what skatetokil said about the feet marking your roof. also, having them on your roof will effect your gas mileage a lot more than on the hitch.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
if you're super tired and you're trying to lift your DH bike onto your roof, you might drop it and seriously jack up the car. that is another aspect of how a roof rack can damage your car, as well as what skatetokil said about the feet marking your roof. also, having them on your roof will effect your gas mileage a lot more than on the hitch.
On my old acura i didn't notice much of a difference. lots of bugs stuck to my bike though. and parking garages were a serious problem.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
My friend's Subaru had the roof dented from the weight of two DH bikes on his Yakima King Cobra trays.

Most car manufacturers don't spec anything more than 150 lbs on the roof. Three DH bikes plus the rack is really pushing that number.

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
yeah the car does have rails on the roof. that said the audi roof race blows for any bike with a tire over 2.0. i've been using it for almost a year now with straps. i can get 5 bikes on the car. the only problem i've had with my hitch rack (thule i think) is that i have to have the car up 3(airsuspension thing) for the front wheel of the bike to clear most people driveways.

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
Thanks for all of the advice, guys. Right now I'm shifting back and forth between a 4.2 Audi Allroad (for the handling and looks) and a Land Rover LR3 (for the size and offroadability), both used. The rover might be a bit more logical, but I still realy like the power and handling of the Audi. The bike factor may end up as the clincher.

Dirttastesgood: you mentioned that you got a hitch intalled by Audi. I've heard about this but could never find whether the hitch was a 2" or 1.25". I'd much prefer a 2" as I've heard of 1.25"s bending under the weight of multiple DH bikes. What was yours?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In my experience (with only 2 bikes) the bars (and the bikes) start moving back along the factory tracks above 110mph.. Not too sure how much faster you could go before ripping the whole thing off. :banghead:
Yeah, 120+ is not a problem with the T2 :D

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
The Allroad is a great wagon and what I use to move two DH bikes. I use a Yakima King Cobra Rack with the longest channels that will fit. The Allroad is particularly useful because you can lower the air suspension for 95% of your driving and raise it to SUV-like levels when you need it. This helps when parking underground with bikes on top.

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
I was going to post on this a couple days ago, but then figgured you were looking for rack info not car input. But now that I see you're looking at a couple different vehicles, and buying used; I gotta say somethin. Used Suby Legacy 2.5GT wagon. I have a WRX wagon and wish I would have found a way to buy the legacy wagon at least once a month. The car moves out, has FAAAAAAAR better reliability than the Audi, will be cheaper on insurance, and is well supported in the aftermarket if the speed bug hits harder. Need the "all road" type look/clearance, they make a 2.5turbo legacy outback wagon too. I used to be a diehard european car proponent (I've had a BMR, VW, and a Porsche), and after buying our WRX wagon, I am definitely sold on Subaru's.

As for racks, if you get the Landy, look hitch mount, but on a lower vehicle go with the roof racks. Use Thule or Yakima Crossbars and mounts to hook up to the factory rails, then use some Sportworks Bobratchet carriers. They are an "over the tire" type clamp, but they're beefier than the Yakima Cobras. Honestly, if you have the room in the car for the front wheels and don't mind the hassle, running a fork mount rack with a 20mmTA adapter is a solid way to go.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Agreed. I have a Forester and lifting a DH bike up there is a pain. I usually throw it in the trunk. I think I once put a dent/scratch in the roof from a pedal and I've almost smashed my windows a few times (gotta open the door to get up there and the windows in the back don't go all the way down). And, yes, it kills the mileage with lots of bikes; one isn't too bad, it seems.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
i second the suby. i have an 06 wrx wagon with the thule t2 hitch rack. 3rd gear on the mountain roads at 4500 rpm's with 2 bikes on the back while you're passing a porshe like they're tied to a tree is about as much fun as ripping a sweet slalom course.

gideon

Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
San Francisco
start searching for the unavailability of hitches for that car here
http://forums.audiworld.com/allroad

and see recent post here (and my sig for some pics)
http://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/204171.phtml

roof racks are twitchy on any car, esp with heavy bikes, unless they are super securely mounted (most factory roof racks arent that strong)

hitch racks put a lot of weight on the rear and hurt the car over time
(had a pathfinder)

if you get a roof rack, and have bikes with 20mm fronts, I personally dont want to be pulling the wheels on and off every time you rack it. yes, there are workarounds, but you put wear an tear on the bolts/threads, as well as possibly loosing brake pads, unless you anchor them, plus the time of removing/installing wheels

either way, you shouldnt drive on bumpy stuff with bikes on

and if you only have 1 bike, put it inside

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Thats why I got my GTI, but up that number to around 135. :biggrin:
He said 120 because he was reasonable. Even the A4/passat 2.8 will get you to 145+mph if you remove the limiter (135 with the limiter).
The 2.7T without the limiter should be good for more than that!

paranoid56

Monkey
May 23, 2004
San Diego, CA
i have a 06 wrx wagon and have roof mounts. like people have said, it gets old using them. after a long day of riding you have to pick up your bike to put on top. also, gas millage takes a huge hit. i almost dropped 10mpg with two bikes on top. I am currently looking at getting a hitch mount to see how that fairs with the gas millage. my last trip up to mammoth i got around 27+ with my bike in the back of the wagon, but with the two bikes on top i was at 18mpg and the car was struggling. it didn't like having all that wind resistance up there.

Shane

gideon

Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
San Francisco
He said 120 because he was reasonable. Even the A4/passat 2.8 will get you to 145+mph if you remove the limiter (135 with the limiter).
The 2.7T without the limiter should be good for more than that!
wurd, my car is chipped at 340hp, 353 w/ 93 gas what the vdub got?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I should also add that a roof mount also adds noise to the ride with or without one of those wind deflector deals.

And I add my voice of recommendation to the Subaru. I've had great luck with mine.

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
Thanks again for all of the help. Still haven't made up my mind as to the car. I've looked at the subies, and unfortunately, the WRX wagon is a bit small (I play the drums, and generally have way to much sh!t in my car), and the legacy is a little low for any offroading. As far as maintainance goes, both cars are certified, and as they are being bought through a dealer, will come with pretty bomb warranties. I know everyone loves cars and has their own oppinions, so keep the advice coming, its been really helpful.

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
You can get the turbo motor in the Legacy Outback which will give you better ground clearance and more interior space than the WRX. About the only downside and I could be wrong on this is that I don't think they offered the 2.5 turbo with a 6 speed manual in the Legacy platform wagons. If you didn't want a manual then it is a moot point, but for some it's an issue.

Seriously though, warranty or not, if you're going to have the car for a while, do your homework on the Audi in terms of repair costs and their propensity to need more attention than some other makes. Don't get me wrong, Audi makes nice looking and performing cars. But just like with women, keeping a high maintenance piece around just because the occaisional joyride gets you off will start to wear on you when you have to put up with the B.S. down the road;)

Chris

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
okay. i just talked to my dad who got the hitching system done. and his friend who makes race cars welded a costume peice onto our thule rack to make it work. he said it would be pretty easy to get done. i'll take some pictures of it 2morrow and send them to you. i said 120 because there's not really any good roads to go faster than that in ct. but when we lived in california he did 140 taking me and my friend to a lacrosse game. the kid almost pooped h is pants

skibum3789

Chimp
Aug 12, 2005
Massachusettes
Subys are great, but I personally own a saab 9-5 wagon and love it. My family has owned numerous saabs and the reliability is great. my first car was a 9000 with 250k on it. unfortunatly i blew the clutch at 300k, which totalled the car and i sold it to our mechanic for 200$. The 9-5 wagon has more trunk space than any wagon i looked at. The rear seats fold flat and there is enough room for a twin mattress in there with the trunk closed, no joke i've done it. i am 6'4" and i can lie down with my feet touching the trunk and my head doesnt even reach the back of the front seats. If you look at any, the 4 cyl's are the reliable ones, the v6 turbos have been know to issues with sludge and also have the added pain of timing belts. the 2002 on aero's get 250hp stock with a 2.3T 4cyl, great engine. just my 2 cents, keeping in mind some crazy fv@ker put a million miles on an old 900 petrol engine. also consider some of the diesel vw's and such if you want gas mileage and reliability. european cars are great, audi's aren't know more their cheap maitenance though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Subys are great, but I personally own a saab 9-5 wagon and love it. My family has owned numerous saabs and the reliability is great. my first car was a 9000 with 250k on it. unfortunatly i blew the clutch at 300k, which totalled the car and i sold it to our mechanic for 200$. The 9-5 wagon has more trunk space than any wagon i looked at. The rear seats fold flat and there is enough room for a twin mattress in there with the trunk closed, no joke i've done it. i am 6'4" and i can lie down with my feet touching the trunk and my head doesnt even reach the back of the front seats. If you look at any, the 4 cyl's are the reliable ones, the v6 turbos have been know to issues with sludge and also have the added pain of timing belts. the 2002 on aero's get 250hp stock with a 2.3T 4cyl, great engine. just my 2 cents, keeping in mind some crazy fv@ker put a million miles on an old 900 petrol engine. also consider some of the diesel vw's and such if you want gas mileage and reliability. european cars are great, audi's aren't know more their cheap maitenance though.
Yep, saabs are so good that they had subaru make a car for them, the 9-3x, same car as the wrx.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i have a 06 wrx wagon and have roof mounts. like people have said, it gets old using them. after a long day of riding you have to pick up your bike to put on top. also, gas millage takes a huge hit. i almost dropped 10mpg with two bikes on top. I am currently looking at getting a hitch mount to see how that fairs with the gas millage. my last trip up to mammoth i got around 27+ with my bike in the back of the wagon, but with the two bikes on top i was at 18mpg and the car was struggling. it didn't like having all that wind resistance up there.

Shane
Yeah, the milege kind of sucks bad enough when I'm driving it fast, if you drive fast you'll notice a much bigger hit in the milege when you put a bike on the top (drag increases as a square of velocity, and power required increases as a cube). But for those times when I *need* to go fast, the hitch rack is the way to go. I just got the cobb AP for my WRX...SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO nice not having detonation anymore.