Quantcast

Audi allroad

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Check out places like audifans.com and quattroworld.com, as well as audiworld.com for people selling allroads. Your best bet with a car like that is to get one from somebody who's an enthusiast and took very good care of their care.
Agreed, I am leaning towards forum user sellers more since they do generally seem to take better care of their cars. Thanks for the site suggestions, I haven't checked those out yet.

allroads are pretty stout chassis(es) but the suspension can be iffy. It's about $1500 per corner to replace the airbag, but it may be less to do it yourself. It's like 1200 for the compressor, which will need to be replaced if one of the bags has been leaking for a while. A coilover conversion is probably cheaper.
Those may be dealer prices, but there is an alternative supplier that provides equal to or better than OEM parts for much less (set of 4 performance air springs for $1500, compressor for $400). This is certainly a job I can do myself. Gotta keep the air suspension, that is what makes the allroad unique.

Engines are variable...the 2.7t is a good engine and at this mileage, it'll either have already failed or it won't. I guess reliability was hit or miss. I don't know if they offered the 2.8, but that's the most reliable engine for the C6. The 4.2 isn't quite as stout, but it's non-turbo and if it's maintained, should be ok. I think it uses a timing chain too, so belts are less of an issue.
Only 2.7T and 4.2 engines. I read about lots of issues with 2.7T which has me concerned. 4.2 is definitely more reliable, but not many allroads out there for sale with that engine.

The Allroad is a money pit, and I say that gently because I like them. I can still get parts for decent prices and I can do a lot of the work myself, I have a good tool chest and several friends that have lifts that I can use and I'd still run away from the Allroad. They were available with a 6spd trans and the 2.7T which would be a lot of fun but not very reliable; I'd prefer the 4.2 and tip but they are a bit more money.

This is in addition to regular maintenance which can be expensive. I think the 4.2 in the Allroad has a timing belt. I know it does in the A8 and the A6 but the engine sits a little different in the Allroad, the 4.2 in the S4 does have chains and might be the same as the Allroad. If it has a belt expect the 80K service to cost ~$2500 if you have it done at a dealer or good shop.

Take my cynicism with a grain of salt, when I was working at the shop I only saw the broken cars, there wasn't any need to bring it to us if it didn't have a problem. We did a lot of routine maintenance and the Audis always had more issues come up than the Subarus during the inspections.
Thanks for the insight. The 4.2 has a timing chain like the S4, so no regular replacement to worry about. I do read a lot about them being money pits, but like you said mostly people with bad experiences are the ones to write about it, less people join forums to just talk about how problem free their car is.

Get the Subaru, what it lacks in soul it makes up for with reliability. But the head gaskets will fail...I can fill you in on that too if you want.
I thought that issue was taken care of by 2005? Or is it still a problem on the turbo cars? My dad had an '03 Legacy and by 90k the head gaskets started leaking a bit, but never enough to make him replace them.

From a guy who has a 2.7T S4, I'd say get the Subaru. My clutch went out last Saturday (110k on the clock) and I was thinking I'd finally get to go Stage 3 since most people pull the fvcking engine just to change the clutch. Well...I will probably do it still but parts alone for clutch/turbos/fueling are in excess of $5k. I do most of the work myself and it still costs a fortune.

I'd either get a 1.8T Avant (and beef up the suspension - maybe even put a big turbo on it) or the Subaru. Trust me - you don't want anything to do with the 2.7T engine. It's twice the turbos and twice the price of repair than a 1.8T.

Oh...and if it's got 90k on the clock (and assuming it's a 2.7T) you're gonna need a turbo change in the near future. Engine and transmission have to be yanked AGAIN for that. Seriously...I love this car to death which is why I'm keeping it but unless you're REALLY handy then I would get something else.
I'm pretty handy and don't mind spending money on upgrades in the event of failures. In fact the most attractive thing about the 2.7T is the readily available mods. I've never owned a modded car before, but the performance gains available are pretty staggering. That said, this would be my only car so that's probably not the best idea. The 4.2 sounds like it is the safest choice if I were to go with the allroad (no manual tranny though). The Subaru is certainly more reliable, although turbo failures are also possible, but overall it's just not as nice of a car.

I am basically looking at the allroad vs. Outback turbo because my car needs/wants are:
1. Put two bikes and gear inside
B. Tow 1200lb trailer, sometimes into light off-road areas
3. Quick
D. Good handling

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Most of the cars that I dealt with at the shop were 5 years old or older, typically out of warranty so I don't really know what the track record is like for the 2005 Subaru head gaskets but I would still keep $1800 in the bank and plan to need it right around 100K miles. If there are records that the Subaru factory coolant conditioner had been used it extended the warranty on the HGs to 100K, again, not sure about the newer ones but how many of them have hit that kind of mileage in 4 years?

I think the Allroad really fits my needs the best and I have the means to keep up with it but I really don't want to mess with it. I'd rather save my money and spend it on bike parts.

gideon

Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
San Francisco
I have a 2004 4.2, it's been good, got it APR chipped so it's supposed to be 345hp
It's very torqy
It's also a fairly heavy car, So it rides smooth, and I guess handling isn't as quick as a lighter car, but prob better than higher, off the ground suvs such as x5, cayenne, prob a lotta room for debate there too

I get about 16-17mpg of premium, I just got a new job so I drive about 70mi perday so that kinda sucks financially, and for the earth

There was a engine/tranny seal job 35k mi, covered under warranty
I bought an aftermarket warranty till 6yr/100k, AUL Reserve $3,500 and I haven't used 3500 worth of claims, you prob cant get any warranty at 90k and it may not be worth it
I dont have the time, skill or space to wrench it myself, oil changes, it takes 9 qts of synthetic costs $150 at indy in San Francisco. I'm sure there are cheaper options to be found
Eats tires
Front brakes and rotors and oil was $500?
Mines at about 84k and doesnt burn oil

I love the car, we drove it across country in cannoball run speeds
2 days to denver from nyc, 1 day from vail to mammoth
1200 mi per day or so

Its super comfy and quiet, for the rear passengers too, good for snow country even with ski boots on
Heated seats, leather, wood
I've had 3 trays, roof boxes and combinations there of
We did a summer sf to whistler trip and it rocked the hwys at 120+ with bikes up top
Blue headlights
Sunroof

I spent a lot of time retrofitting an 05 audi gps into the 04 dash, gps must have for me at least
I dont like clunky suction cups or extra wires

It's one of the more perfect cars for runs from sf to tahoe, infact I've pulled some 4x4s out of ditches
Its also super stable at high speeds in snow, like 70+
I've passed subys, all kinds of 4x4s and others racing is the snow, they seems to give up cuz theres was slipping more thatn mines

Hitches are very hard to come by, no longer made, there are ones that drill into the sheet metal
Euro ones and a bike rack cost $2k+ to import after all is said and install

Like on these enthusiast forums, bikes, cars whatever, you'll need to learn and tinker, its def not a start up and drive, everyday car like the pathfinder we had

Im liking that 42mpg? new 2010 a3 tdi diesel? that just came out

Bottom line, You pay for the luxury, subys a def alternative, for less $, but like many german cars, if you keep on top of it, the pleasure per dollar ratio is prob pretty high

IMHO The best forum to learn about is
http://forums.audiworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18
Here's some pics of mines
http://forums.audiworld.com/member.php?u=112883

Theres another mercedes 550hp amg 4wd wagon e55 or e63 that looks totally sleeper, 70k used...

If you dig on youtube there a cool actually ski hill hillclimb vid of this versus some others around at that time, they all start slipping, but the AR makes it to the top, could be rigged, dunno

Good luck if you choose the AR route
Gideon

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
We have a 2005 4.2, it has almost 100k on it now, had to fix the suspension last week, other then that it hasn't needed much work other then routine stuff.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Ford Raptor. Done.
Don't really want a truck, especially not in the east. It might be fun in the southwest where it could actually be driven off-road regularly.

What is that?

I have a 2004 4.2, it's been good, got it APR chipped so it's supposed to be 345hp.

I love the car, we drove it across country in cannonball run speeds

Its also super stable at high speeds in snow, like 70+
I've passed subys, all kinds of 4x4s and others racing is the snow, they seems to give up cuz theres was slipping more thatn mines

Hitches are very hard to come by, no longer made, there are ones that drill into the sheet metal. Euro ones and a bike rack cost $2k+ to import after all is said and install.

Bottom line, You pay for the luxury, subys a def alternative, for less $, but like many german cars, if you keep on top of it, the pleasure per dollar ratio is prob pretty high
Thanks for the feedback, that is basically exactly what I wanted to hear. You hit the nail on the head about why the allroad is better than suby for highway trips, the germans design their cars for high speed cruising.

We have a 2005 4.2, it has almost 100k on it now, had to fix the suspension last week, other then that it hasn't needed much work other then routine stuff.
Thanks for the input.

I am def leaning more towards the 4.2 if I can find a nice one. I like the mod-ability of the 2.7T, but the generally maintenance-intensive nature of it is telling me to stay away.

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
We have a hole line up of both Subaru's and Audi's. We currently are driving around in a 1998 A6 Wagon. 180K or something like that. Has been pretty much bullet proof except for a few small things.
It is a 2.6L Auto. The tie-rod Ends have been done and Lower Control Arms. These were just normal wear and tear. The Tranny is starting to whine a little bit but i believe that the fluid may be getting a little low. The engine is still running strong. There have been a few electric issues suck as the Heat fan motor died. And sometimes the Odometer does not light up.

On to the Subaru's. We have a 1998 Forester L. It has of course blown the head gasket! At about 165K, On the way to Whiteface for a race no doubt. After towing it 5 hours home it needs to get the engine pulled out. Since Subaru's are like Lego's we are putting a larger H6 motor back in! It has been a pretty reliable car other then the engine problem. It is also fairly easy to work on.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'll say that my WRX with performance tires and stage 2 turbo f-ing sucks in the snow. Trying to modulate the power to keep the turbo from spinning up too fast and dealing with the tires is a handfull. AWD doesn't mean a whole lot in this situation.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
snow tires?
Yeah.

But it's true, having a quick burst of power can screw you up pretty good in snow. I've never driven a WRX, nor any other turbo vehicle in snow, with or without snow tires. I have had my Jeep gear down on me up a hill in the snow once while on the highway in 2wd. Black ice and a semi next to me. That was scary.

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
I'll say that my WRX with performance tires and stage 2 turbo f-ing sucks in the snow. Trying to modulate the power to keep the turbo from spinning up too fast and dealing with the tires is a handfull. AWD doesn't mean a whole lot in this situation.
Tires is the problem there. Studs will fix that. I drove my 360+hp starion in the snow with studs no problem. Had a couple sketch moments but it was pretty easy going.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Tires is the problem there. Studs will fix that. I drove my 360+hp starion in the snow with studs no problem. Had a couple sketch moments but it was pretty easy going.
Oh I know, but I'm not going to switch to studs or snow-tires for the minimal amount of snow we get. I was just stating that AWD isn't some magic system that makes your car perfect in snow. Tires has a LOT to do with it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Oh I know, but I'm not going to switch to studs or snow-tires for the minimal amount of snow we get. I was just stating that AWD isn't some magic system that makes your car perfect in snow. Tires has a LOT to do with it.
alright, cool. I've driven an Audi UrQuattro and a 200 TQA in the snow, with snow tires, and they were relentlessly grippy and went exactly where I wanted it to. I imagine an overboosted rex would be more of a handful, as you've got 80hp more than I did, but weights would have been similar.

It terrifies me that people think they can get away with summer tires in the snow just because they have AWD. All seasons are doable, but snows make the car so much more capable.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
To update this thread, I did end up buying an Allroad last week. Got a 4.2 V8 model with 38k miles on it from it's original owner in Chicago and drove it back to Pittsburgh. Car has been dealer maintained for it's whole life so hopefully no issues for a while. The overall condition was not quite as mint as the seller made it out to be, but it is still in very good shape. It's pretty fun to drive for a heavy car. It's torquey and quick, has plenty of acceleration at any speed, is so smooth on highways, and handles pretty well. The exhaust note and V8 feel is awesome. There is definitely some body roll when cornering, so I already got some H-sport sway bars on order. I may also do the APR chip next time it goes on sale, but for now I am happy with the power.

Lowered:

Raised:

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
justmtnb44 look at swankmonkey.com for their link they do Audi tuning out in Ar the guy is Lee (know him since we were 12 good guy) and definently knows his stuff for audi and vws being they are like chevy is to GMC..
Cool I'll check it out.

dont bother with a chip, just get the ECU flash from APR. its worth every penny
That's what I meant, it seems everyone calls it a chip but yes reflash is the proper term. I was going to do it right away, but I think I'll wait for now so I can really appreciate the difference.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
hahaha the raptor is a joke! underpowered, ugly, cheap shocks (no resi's), its a FORD, way overpriced, terrible gas mileage
the new 6.2L engine solves the under power issue or the 5.4L and Fox's new shock eliminates the need for a resi. plus, its good because it is a Ford, the #1 selling vehicle in the country for 20 years now.
if the 6.2L 4 door was available now, it would be a no brainer for me.
the Raptor is a helluva truck

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
eh, i'd love a prerunner truck for living in the city, dumb as it would realistically be...tube bumpers for idiot drivers...long travel suspension for potholes galore...sits higher for better visibility/outward visibility...

none on the east coast though.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Tires make a larger difference than awd. I have a 2010 WRX and put Michelin Primacy Alpin snow tires on it. I can go well over the speed limit on snow packed roads. Also, they are performance winter tires, so dry road handling is still pretty good. The 2.0 motor didn't have enough low end torque IMO... the 2.5 can be driven at much lower rpms. I get almost 30 mpg commuting through rush hour traffic around Denver where the 2.0 would be doing a lot worse.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
thats because boxer engines are underpowered without a turbo
I had an '06 non-turbo before I got the wrx. It made 173 hp and got about the same gas mileage as the wrx (as long as you're not on the turbo a lot). So, I think it does ok w/o turbo, but the turbo has the same driveability with a lot more mid to top-end power. It's also smoother than the non-turbo for some reason...

I've also owned a few AWD Eclipse / Talons from the early 90's. The Mitsu 4g63 2.0 is better than the 2.0 Subie motor, but not as good as the 2.5.

I have noticed the wrx is really easy to stall out and the hill-assist starting doesn't disengage fast enough sometimes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
thats because boxer engines are underpowered without a turbo
Whoops, my planes are underpowered? A 911S is underpowered? The H6 subies are underpowered? I would highly disagree with that. 2.0 is a pretty small motor, great on the gas milege, even in stop-and go, (a performance tune helps a lot though), it's not because it's a boxxer, it's because its a turbo 2.0. A regular 2.0 would be better for low end without other modifications, and being small obviously doesn't help. With proper spool-up it's pretty good though.

One of the whole reasons they use boxer engines in airplanes is due to how much torque they can deliver at relatively low RPMs. This in turn doesn't require reduction-gearing and saves a lot of weight and wear. I've noticed the H6 is excellent at delivering usable power (and not needing to be revved way up like some other high horsepower japanese engines).

A turbo engine is low-compression, as such it's not going to make the same power (turbo essentially not adding anything in this comparission) than a normally aspirated engine with the same displacement. It's going to make less actually, then there's also the piping and routing of the air through the intercooler.

The reason it may seem "underpowered" is because it's a turbo engine, and because it's a 2.0L, not because it's a boxer. My brother keeps asking me what size engine I have in my car though, he's always impressed by the acceleration (he has a 3.0L BMW 6).

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Hey Amerikanos...think about Kyoto a bit! ;) Your cars are generally too big. Go smaller, save some dime ;)
Our one car gets 41 MPG at 80 MPH! The commute I may end up having could be 125 miles each way.

Thats why our other vehicle is a 3/4 TON Diesel truck. :rolleyes: