Quantcast

Audi S4 Should i Buy

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Just got word from insurance it would kick my bill up 300 a year...not really that bad i guess...i think the jetta numbed me to it...damn thing is $$$

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
SkaredShtles said:
Ahhhhhhahahahhaha. If you think the bike habit is killing you............... just wait. :rolleyes:
i buy alot of sh1t for bikes man...think about it, we all do...my bike parts per year easily surpass my car repairs...atleast on the vw...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
manhattanprjkt83 said:
i buy alot of sh1t for bikes man...think about it, we all do...my bike parts per year easily surpass my car repairs...atleast on the vw...
Interesting.

I put a pair of brake pads on my bike this year....... $15.

Oh, and a couple tubes and a tire.

I think I need to ride more. :(

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
manhattanprjkt83 said:
hahha im not a teen. And i worked for my cars...paying every penny.

its that bike habbit that is killing me, anyone wanna buy a pair of mavic crossmax's, fox vanilla fork, or mono minis to help me raise moneay?:)
i know, i just like trotting out my fave 1/2 japanese song.

but i'm being hypocritally in typing it; i was certainly far better off @ a young age relative to my parents, and the US standard living typically marches onward and upward.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
SkaredShtles said:
I now realize why it's dudes in their 50's who are driving 911s.
Maybe it's a regional thing. I see more 30 and 40 somethings in 911s than the over 50 set.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
the S4 is pimptastic but unless you have access to mass fundage it's gonna kill you. My first real car was a white Corrado G60 with a black leather interior and as much as I loved it it was a complete POS. I mean it was beautiful to drive and immaculate looking but mechanically it was a total lemon. I still miss it but my 4Runner has been ridiculously reliable even now at 164k. The Corrado was already on it's second life (all new parts) at 70k when I sold it. Get a Toyota, you might be bored compared to the S4 but at least you won't be broke....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
punkassean said:
the S4 is pimptastic but unless you have access to mass fundage it's gonna kill you. My first real car was a white Corrado G60 with a black leather interior and as much as I loved it it was a complete POS. I mean it was beautiful to drive and immaculate looking but mechanically it was a total lemon. I still miss it but my 4Runner has been ridiculously reliable even now at 164k. The Corrado was already on it's second life (all new parts) at 70k when I sold it. Get a Toyota, you might be bored compared to the S4 but at least you won't be broke....
Nothing like being young and broke. :thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
manhattanprjkt83 said:
toshi how is that wrx working out, esp being pre modded and all...an sti was on my plate for a while, but i just love the styling of the s4...im a german nut.
it's working out. if i had to do it again i would not buy a car with the same mods, however. that's more due to autocross classing concerns than any problems that the car has had (current mods place me in a class where i don't have the skill, $$, or equipment to be competitive)

that said, don't stretch funds to buy a car. there'll always be cool cars later, and clutches/tires/random maintenance/TAX and registration adds up really quickly.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
hmmm.....rover or S4?

that's like telling someone they need a kona stab for cyclocross racing.
i think he's saying that if he wants to be broke he should buy a rover?

:dead: :think:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Toshi said:
i think he's saying that if he wants to be broke he should buy a rover?

:dead: :think:
He was trying to imply that his Rover Disco is somehow superior to my 4Runner. Silly midwesterners. :rolleyes: ;)

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
punkassean said:
He was trying to imply that his Rover Disco is somehow superior to my 4Runner. Silly midwesterners. :rolleyes: ;)
Im just trying to screw with ya. I still prefer my rover over your everyday 4runner, but yours is an exception. What I really want is your Tacoma with coilovers :thumb:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
why is it that curb hucker comes in and derails this thread to a rover thread...:rolleyes: ;)

Rovers are just a torrential waste of money, and they cost a boatload to fix...;)

get an s4

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
punkassean said:
i bet 9 out of 10 soccer moms would find his disco more desireable than your 4runner

:oink:

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Rovers are just a torrential waste of money, and they cost a boatload to fix...;)

get an s4
Ha yes they are. And because of this ive been able to sell all of my old OEM parts for more money than the off road aftermarket parts cost :cool:

and screw you toshi :nuts: :blah:

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
Idk if someone's gave you the complete insider info on S4's (I didn't read every post) but here's everything you need to know in a nutshell. ( I personally wouldn't buy that car due to the rieger front..probably a replica anywho) and it's slammed which means the previous owner didn't know how to properly mod, probably ragged on it and took the chipped ECU out to sell leaving the next owner with soon to be blown turbo's.

60k Timing belt change *important!!!!*
turbo timer/boost gauge to be safe
2 diverter valves aftermarket (more maintenance) or 2 TT 710N's will work
Throttle body boot is now to tear when the car is chipped, strong aftermarket ones are available/ bi pipe if k04'd
cheap laptop and a VAG COM diagnostic tool
watch 2nd gear syncro, it will go if shifted hard even a few times
can't go wider than 255 with sport springs (rubs with a person in the back) unless you roll the metal
The colored alacantra is a bitch to keep clean

I've heard of turbo's going out in 20k and seen them go 100k before being replaced only because the guy was going k04 so it all depends on your driving style and the previous owners.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
punkassean said:
My first real car was a white Corrado G60 with a black leather interior and as much as I loved it it was a complete POS.
Masochist.

My windows go up/down when they want to.

Engines are great until the charger goes "boom".

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
narlus said:
i think it's funny that a 22 y/o can already be a brand whore when it comes to vehicles.
Im not a brand whore, i just realize a good clean product when i see one. I mean how can you say that esp on the monkey...we got 15 year old kids on this board, with what brand snobs we are, those kids will be asking questions about what lambo to get when they are out of college...:dancing:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
my comment was more to curb hucker's infatuation w/ the Rover badge.

i think dexter's the only young pup on this board w/ a realistic fetish of exotics, no? and although it's at odds w/ the content of his posts, he's not 15.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
Out here 9 out of 10 times you'd be *mistaken* for a soccer mom in that. :think:
Those are still better odds than when you're driving your minivan.:nuts:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Im not a brand whore, i just realize a good clean product when i see one. I mean how can you say that esp on the monkey...we got 15 year old kids on this board, with what brand snobs we are, those kids will be asking questions about what lambo to get when they are out of college...:dancing:
Yeah. An S4 is a "good clean product"? An S4 is a poor man's exotic. :rolleyes:

Why don't you go for a 10-15 year old S and use all the money you saved for repairs? More sensible, IMO. ;)