Quantcast

August 3-7 Snowshoe, lifts open, let's ride!

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Anybody gonna go to Snowshoe Aug. 3-7, where they will be running the Western Territory lift and have the DH race courses marked off? I'm trying to go up the 3rd(Thursday) and stay till the weekend sometime. I'll be camping out too.

*on another note, who knows what the status of the MTX course is? Mobius? And what trails are the Pro/Experts racing in DH?

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
If there's anyone in/around Baltimore willing to carpool I'm game. But making the drive alone would be a little much for me. If someone wants to pay for some gas my A4 could get us there.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
I'd like to, hopefully I will be able to. I'll be leaving from n.va

-MV

p.s. did u mean the race courses will be MARKED with tape, or marked OFF, as in we can't ride them?

*edit: I would be going for the 6/7th 'cause I got work during the week

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
MikeT said:
I'd like to, hopefully I will be able to. I'll be leaving from n.va

-MV

p.s. did u mean the race courses will be MARKED with tape, or marked OFF, as in we can't ride them?

*edit: I would be going for the 6/7th 'cause I got work during the week
haha yes, marked with tape.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
MtnX is being worked on and will probably be done within a week is my guess. Pro course is going to be pro dh to a new trail kinda to the left of the flat pedal section, back into the slope to a hip jump to the off camber stuff with the log jump from last year. THe lifts are running the weekend of the 7th so everyone come out and kill it on the western side.

meatboot

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Chapel Hell
So will lifts be running on the 3rd through the 5th, specifically the Western Territory lift, or will it just be the shuttle on that side until the weekend?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
The lifts are open the weekend of the IBO not during the week. No pics of the mtn x but its big. part of the bowls from monster park being used.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
ok, got more q's: DS? why is it on the schedule? Are they using the MTX course? And why are people complaining about the expert practice times, when we get 8 hours of it?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
motomike said:
ok, got more q's: DS? why is it on the schedule? Are they using the MTX course? And why are people complaining about the expert practice times, when we get 8 hours of it?

DS no idea we were supposed to build a course but im not sure about it. I'll ask tpro latre.

No idea dont ask me

T-Pro

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
motomike said:
We will be building a seperate course for the slalom event. Which most likely will be on skidder slope. It is being advertised as an "old school" slalom event.

The Mtn. X course has been ruffed in and is awaiting some shaping and general grooming. We will most likely have the finished product within a week or so. Though IBO will have the basin closed so everyone will have to wait till the week after IBO to get their tires on it... It should be way fun for both amateur and pro. I will try to send some pics ASAP.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Need to get some people together from Baltimore. I feel like going and don't feel like driving alone damnit! ;)

So uh, Baltimore....anyone? Anyone? Frederick even (it's on the way)? Beuller?

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
The entire Freeride Park and Ballhooter Lift will be off limits to bikes the week of IBO due to the IBO courses being the same area. The Park as well as ALL of the XC trails will be closed. The downhill trails on the Western side will be open for use; Birdland and Bandsaw are still under consideration.

*The Western Territory lift will be running the 5th and 6th, not all the way from the 3-7th. The shuttle will be running the days that the lift isn't (3,4,7).*

MtnX course is going to be HUGE, once again. It's a mix between last years MtnX course and Monstarr Park. The Pro/Expert course for NORBA is the Pro DH course used for the Mayhem race last year, farthest to the left of the lift after you drop off of Westridge Road. It will be totally marked off the way it will be raced so come and make sure you get PLENTY of practice! You're going to need every bit!

As far as scheduling goes, I doubt NORBA will be making any last minute changes that week and we've got registration brochures here at the shop as well as being able to register on the internet within a week or so hopefully.

See ya on the trail!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
motomike said:
becuase the racers have got to have some thing to complain about. they are like friggin farmers, it didnt rain enough so my crops were weak.it rained too much so my crops were weak. got to hot to early and too cold too late so my crops were weak..................................... ;)

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
AlmostHeaven said:
*The Western Territory lift will be running the 5th and 6th, not all the way from the 3-7th. The shuttle will be running the days that the lift isn't (3,4,7).*
So the lift will be running on Friday and Saturday but not Sunday? :confused:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I have still yet to make it to Snowshoe. I may be able to make it out there becuase I have off from work the 4-8, but.... I think i'm supposed to do somthing with the lady. and excuse the ignance, but what is IBO?

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
International BowHunters Organization. Snowshoe is hosting their world championships.

Last weekend, there were all these life-sized targets -- bears, mountain lions, moose, llamas, elk -- set up all over the freeride side. It was weird haulin ass, rail a corner and pass by a mountain lion crouched next to the trail!

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
BigMike said:
I have still yet to make it to Snowshoe. I may be able to make it out there becuase I have off from work the 4-8, but.... I think i'm supposed to do somthing with the lady. and excuse the ignance, but what is IBO?
Come out ill teach you how to ride a bike.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
BigMike said:
Andrew, you are no fun!

so what do you do up there? do you work in the bike shop?

Overheard from some riders starting down the downhill course...

"Let's hit Hareball, that dark haired skinny kid at the bike shop said it was real smooth!"

:sneaky:

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Dartman said:

"Let's hit Hareball, that dark haired skinny kid at the bike shop said it was real smooth!"

SMOOTH!

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
Dartman said:

i think referring to it as 'smooth' helps him to not think about how horribly hard it is to ride.

:evil:

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
Well that was a good weekend. The weather held up, the trails were in good condition. The new sport course is a lot better then last year's. They cut out a crappy section, and put in Sweet Dreams instead. There a nice rock drop too now on the sport course - tricky for sure. One guy broke his arm(heal up!) :/ and I saw another guy flip over right infront of me.

I saw some forum members there for sure. I was the one with a blue/red IH gspot and an all white jersey with a VT on the front.

-MV

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
yea 'cutties' look easy on the dvd, but they are hard otherwise. I've been working on them on the last 4 rides, and still havn't figured it out :/

super95awd

Chimp
May 17, 2004
Morgantown, WV
MikeT said:
There a nice rock drop too now on the sport course - tricky for sure. One guy broke his arm(heal up!) :/ and I saw another guy flip over right infront of me.

-MV
Is this the rock drop on Sweet Dreams or something else? If it is, doesn't seem too tough to me :p.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
super95awd said:
Is this the rock drop on Sweet Dreams or something else? If it is, doesn't seem too tough to me :p.
It is but it's something that doesn't belong on a beginner DH course. It's only going to reward the sandbaggers who need to be over on the expert course. It was a good friend of mine who got hurt yesterday. He wasn't ready to do a drop like that but felt pressured to do it because the ride around was such a time penalty. :angry:

Mike