Quantcast

Austin Freeride/Downhill

Oct 12, 2004
Austin, TX
So, here's the deal.

I took at job at UT and moved from Seattle, WA. I'm jonesin' for some riding, bad.

I'm looking to hook up with anyone from the FR/DH scene in Austin. I'm living in the Arboretum area. I'm up for anything, including building. I just need to get out and ride. I've looked around, but it seems that most of the trails are pretty well guarded secrets.

Anyone interested to have some beers/ride?

Hit me up either here or at yurcinaj@gmail.com

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Not going to find freeride, you'll find technical riding.

The barton creek greenbelt has some sections, city park has some features, but you just won't find the elevation.

My site has all the austin data.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Emma Long (City Park) is awesome and a real gem.

The Greenbelt is okay, good linear trail of XCing.

TRU = R.I.P. Those were some fun, fun trails. Too bad they aren't around anymore.

Bandera State Park has some good technical riding.

Comfort Ranch also has some good technical riding and some small DH runs.

For real DH/Freeride, you need to move back to Seattle or just get into dirt jumping or BMX. The BMX scene is legit.

igotabike

Chimp
Nov 8, 2003
atx
austin does have some stuff for you but its not what youre used too. nobody is goiing to post on here where there spot is but there are 10-15 guys that ride dh and dj around here and when they go to races they post good results. just keep looking. (HINT- start at the clock tower and head east downhill and see how many gaps you find)

Oct 12, 2004
Austin, TX
Oh yea, what shops are the better ones to visit? I've run across a few, and all but one have been pretty decent, no DH type stuff, but the staff was pretty cool.

Ozone seemed pretty legit.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
"The greenbelt" is barton creek. There is ~30+ miles of trails there. If you don't have a local guide you will miss all the good stuff.

Pretty sure that twin parks closed but I was never out there.

As for shops, Ozone is good now. The reality is that all the shops in austin in good. We don't have any bad ones, which is really a blessing. Cycle progression and hammerhead are the best for big bikes. But all are good. Some are smaller than others, but none are known for ripping people off and everyone has a cool vibe in the austin bike scene.

Itofigari

Chimp
Sep 10, 2011
Austin, TX
Hello people,
New to the forum and first time mtb rider (coming from a defunct track ready Ducati)...anyhow, I live in South Austin and I am not sure if anyone has riden down here before but ACROSS my house, there are 3 different trails:
See maps

1st image: my backyard basically...real smooth and open...perfect for a newbie like me
2nd image: Mirador drive..."found it" today and goes for ever...real narrow and cliff and great drop to the left...SEVERAL 45 degree + angle drops..definitely over my head here...
3rd image: Mopac and Southwest parkway..this trail takes you all the way to the greenbelt

NMTXLA

Chimp
Apr 6, 2011
ATX
Hey man, I have a cabin up in NM pretty close to Angelfire, Im planning on making a few trips up there this summer so if you want to hook up before to make sure your not a serial killer im down to drive and split gas, also so buddies of mine form Louisiana and I are planning some trips to Co-Winterpark, Sol Vista, Keystone- this next yr as well, Shoot me a response to this and we can meet up at walnut creek or where ever.