Quantcast

Avalanch AVA boxxer hi speed mod arrived and shock

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Pretty awesome when UPS gives you a woodie! :D

So after reading and going through all the stuff on the site and having tried alot of other shocks and forks over the last 4 years I pulled the trigger on a Avalanche Woodie and couldnt go without modding the Boxxer so I had them do the High speed mod.
Had the Woodie done with light valving, a 450 ti spring and hi/lo speed adjuster put on it.

Now I dont have any real time on the DH on it as it came in yesterday I will after this weekend. We did pull the comp out of the boxxer and stuck a original one in so we could side by side ride it and initial is it feels more like a coil than before, its more plush (quite a bit) and the hi speed soaks up a curb head on better than before and mobbing it at full speed. I know thats not an accurate test LOL but it tells me what its going to do to get me started on dialing it in.

The mod makes the Hi speed adjustment just that, a high speed adjustment and leaves the low speed alone. So when you adjust the hi speed it doesnt make the low speed all out of whack and compromise it. It actually keeps them more like independent adjsutments with little to no effect on each other as well as the oil flow is increased so it acts like it has lighter weight oil in it but with the plushness at high speed of a thicker weight oil.

So we'll see Ill have a full ride report this week with a mixxed bag of terrain and styles as well as drops and the jump park.

I will add the Woodie is ridiculous, it literally soaks up everythingidentical to the DHS. It comes in at 544g with bushings and hardware so not much heavier than a fox, elka or marzocchi.

Still semi light with hopey and avy LOL 37.38

Last edited:

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
Isn't the new Boxxer Mission control already suppose to make the high and low speed independent? Ive had no issues with mine correlating with each other.

Also what does avalanche actually do with the Boxxer dampner? is there a new shims? You should just post pictures on how Avy re-shimmed the dampner to save some people the money and time.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
You just suck BULLCREW. :)
You lucky dog.
Im not liking my 2010 Boxxer so far. I might have to do the mod.
Tell Craig to return his phone calls. My buddy left messages last week.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
No he opens up some stuff and reshims it. No matter what I did including lighter weight oil it kept packing up on the 5k descent on the rocks. I tried backing it off, oil weight less air more air and nothing it jackhammered at certain points everytime and usually at FULL speed through the rock gardens. It was spiking or locking up and wasnt alot of fun lol.
Like the blackbox they modify whats there and thats what hes doing hes replacing a certain item, reshiming and opening up a port or flow.

On this note I have a couple of other buddies who have the same issue as wel locally here as well as a buddy in Socal with the same issue on the high speed runs he can back it off but then the low speed is compromised and it still spikes on the fast square edge hits.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
You just suck BULLCREW. :)
You lucky dog.
Im not liking my 2010 Boxxer so far. I might have to do the mod.
Tell Craig to return his phone calls. My buddy left messages last week.
Will do, yeah injured himself last week pretty good in a shoulder at that.
Yeah I dial the low speed in and back the high speed off slam some square edge hits and theres a difference between it and the stock no question....

DAMN I love that avy on the rear light valving and softer spring........ Craigs got it dialed there isnt squat Id change on the way it feels so far, Ill know tomorrow but its bottomless feeling with little to no progressive ramp. Love the speed sensative shocks....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Now maybe he'll have more time to check his email ;)
I sent him one a month ago and haven't got anything back
LMAO!

Yeah he has an additional set of hands that hes guiding through it and moving forward. I am pretty damn excited for the cartridge kit..... Im on him to get the adapter kit ready so I can gut my boxxer completely. I will say this mod that I had done has a noticeable difference so far and Im really excited to get it out and open it up wide open on the 5k run..... :thumb:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
hopey <3 very nice.
Yeah its pretty cool for when its needed, either a TON of shuttle runs and you cant hang on anymore it allows you to get a little more of your moneys worth by 1 more run. :D

Hell the bikes 37.4 lbs with avy and hopey so I am still good on weight...

Thats a pretty sick pic of you dropping off that roof on your trials bike! NICE rep +1 for that good for you..... Thats pretty damn big LOL

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Can't wait to hear your post ride report. I have been thinking about getting the woodie for my M6 if it fits.
Ive ridden the DHS in years past and the best shock Iver idden to date, the thing takes a beating and the reliability is incredible.
Its basically a DHS without the remote resevoir and yeah Im pretty excited to get some seat time on an avy again...

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
"dude, i noticed you have a woodie."
"nice woodie man, how long is it?"
"mind if I sit on your woodie to see how soft it is?"
"what's the stroke on your woodie?"
"I couldn't help but notice, but the shaft of your woodie is longer than mine."

Ok, enough, I could probably go on but it will only start to get more disturbing. Anyway, that set up is schweeet. Very nice. :thumb::thumb:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
"dude, i noticed you have a woodie."
"nice woodie man, how long is it?"
"mind if I sit on your woodie to see how soft it is?"
"what's the stroke on your woodie?"
"I couldn't help but notice, but the shaft of your woodie is longer than mine."

Ok, enough, I could probably go on but it will only start to get more disturbing. Anyway, that set up is schweeet. Very nice. :thumb::thumb:
Theres a ton LOL... But the best part was my wife wasnt impressed with my woodie. by the way I talked about it She thought it would be bigger.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
OK got some drops, rocks, jumps, berms, single track etc out of the way today for several hours rode and barely needed to dial it in.

First the fork was incredible the Mod made it stupid plush, I did need to add a little rebound off the double and jumps I was front end high and with 15-20 mph winds it was blowing me sideways ontop of that which was intresting in itself. So I added a smidge of low speed and upped the comp a little bit and that was it, it leveled and flew even off everything from there on out.

Rocks:
Front end was quiet no chattering zero packing like before, it tracked absolutely smooth. It handled the drops into the rocks at full speed and I overshot the double at the bottom by ALOT and flat bottomed way past it and the fork was butter completely smooth didnt bottom out and soaked it up. It still handled the chatter and the small bump absorbtion was flawless....

Jumps:
It handled the jumps like before but was alot smoother through the stroke and didnt have tha dry feeling like before it was plush. Not too much difference aside of the smooth handling, jumps and trannys are basic on most forks.

Corners:
It tracked the berms spot on and the chatter in them didnt cause it ti wash out like before as a matter of fact I dont realy remember hitting tham it was smooth at speed and no lack of control the front end just smoothed it out. Corners again are corners but its the chatter and the rocks in there I couldnt quite get the front to play nice with so that was the big improvement with it. It stayed the course but the dampening was alot more precise and worked better between the hi and low speed and its probably the fact he seperates the influence of them on each other with the mod..
So it cornered alot better with the front tracking better and not bouncing all over. The good part is I could run a bit more rebund and the dampening slowed the front end down so there was no fast return poping from lack of rebound. It was a really evened out effect.

Drops:
Not too much to say here it always performed good on those so that was never the issue. (obviousley the rear was really NICE and plush)

Rear shock:
The front matches the rear shock extremely well they are both absolutely butter, the bike was almost silent going through the rocks and literally I was blowing the corner at speed and dropping the railroad tie drops off into the rockgarden without slowing down at all and not once did I feel the front or rear get unstable as a matter of fact the faster I went the smoother and more in control it was....

Overall it was a good day I did need to adjust the dials a little bit but it rode like a completley different bike and not just the rear the front acted like a totally different fork altogether. The Mod definently opens up the boxxers potential and makes it ride a hell of a lot better than before...

Only downfall is Shep came down from Wyoming to ride with us and he (for some damn reason) failed to pull up the front end and went WAY to slow off a ladder drop.
He plummeted 7' to the front wheel took the bars too the chest and went over and down the landing folding in half and not in a good way.
Scared the hell out of us and he thought he broke his back because of the loud snap noise between the shoulder blade.
After 4 broken backs I have become a bit familiar with the following and the amount of pain involved so we kept him down for an hour laying there (just to let him relax) and proceeded to get him up slow. LOL then I do what I do best, got all agro told him to get on his bike and ride out slowley on the tame trail.... Based on the amount of pain he was in I dont think he broke it, I broke mine in that area T7/T8 3 times and $hit its a WORLD OF PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So hes going to chill and we'll take his buddy out riding tomorrow while he kicks back and recoupes, none the less the poor bastards going to be hurting for a while....

So overall it was a good day and Im impressed with how well the front end rides and the rear avalanche well that needs no explaining....
Ill try and get some pics tomorrow and put some more time on it, not that I need to it handled the stuff today alot better than before so Im pretty excited...

Last edited:

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
First, glad to hear your buddy is ok. Hopefully he will recoup enough to be able to enjoy a couple more rides while he is there.

Sounds like you are pretty happy with the new set up and things seem to be working perfectly. Earlier you implied that you might be getting the Boxxer cartridge when it becomes available for your model of Boxxer. Just curious, is it worth it or really necessary since the High Speed Cart you just installed seems to solve all the issues you previously had? Seems like the rest of the stuff on the new Boxxer is pretty solid now that they have the rebound sorted out and you got the HSC to work properly now.

Having ridden the older Boxxer, I can definitely see how the AVA Cartridge would benefit that fork.

Good stuff, glad you like your new toys.:thumb:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
First, glad to hear your buddy is ok. Hopefully he will recoup enough to be able to enjoy a couple more rides while he is there.

Sounds like you are pretty happy with the new set up and things seem to be working perfectly. Earlier you implied that you might be getting the Boxxer cartridge when it becomes available for your model of Boxxer. Just curious, is it worth it or really necessary since the High Speed Cart you just installed seems to solve all the issues you previously had? Seems like the rest of the stuff on the new Boxxer is pretty solid now that they have the rebound sorted out and you got the HSC to work properly now.

Having ridden the older Boxxer, I can definitely see how the AVA Cartridge would benefit that fork.

Good stuff, glad you like your new toys.:thumb:

I want to ride it to try it and get some time on it, as far as is it neccessary after the mod "No" the fork kicks @$$ and I mean its probably one of the things similair the blackbox program does. Not speculating but just comparing it to the way it handles now over the way it did and how its an advantage over stock production stuff. Its a huge improvement over the chatter. Its literaly a flawless fork now and i couldnt be happier :thumb:

BUT a Avy DHF is probably the plushest thing Ive ever ridden and Id like to see how the cartridge it is in the new boxxer.
I am completely happy with the mod I love the fork now its a fricken beast now...

Shep went back to Wyoming this morning and on his way to his local hospital his sternum is all jacked face is bruised with a mark through it and his back is pretty bad he passed out getting off the couch this morning... So hes out for a bit...

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Wow, someone besides me running a Hopey. Anyway, are you running the Hopey arm down by the direct mount stem? Did you have to grind anything to get clearance?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Wow, someone besides me running a Hopey. Anyway, are you running the Hopey arm down by the direct mount stem? Did you have to grind anything to get clearance?
No but because the twenty6 stem is adjustable and the mounting plate sticks back I had to run it at the 55mm spot and space the damper up a bit to allow the clamps to move between the arm and the plate... It was close but after hammering trails and the park this weekend it works spot on and couldnt be happier....

Yeah theres times I need it and it works out for the best the rest of the time I turn it off.... 2 compression breaks and 167 sparrow fractures on the right arm have left it worse for the wear at times this assures i can still pin it and get agro with the guys. Love that thing, forgot how it helped...:thumb:

Are you running a direct mount with yours???

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Are you running a direct mount with yours???
yeah, I have been running direct mount on my various boxxers since around 2003 or so, first with a Romic stem/crown and a RS crown/SIC stem since 2005. With the SIC, I had to grind the hopey to clear the stem running the minimum amount of spacers. It was still a little wack so I spaced it up a bunch when I got a new Boxxer in 2006. Kept it the same spaced up on my 2010 Boxxer last year.

I just got a Truvativ direct mount stem. Looks like I will need to keep it spaced up still. Not a big deal.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
yeah, I have been running direct mount on my various boxxers since around 2003 or so, first with a Romic stem/crown and a RS crown/SIC stem since 2005. With the SIC, I had to grind the hopey to clear the stem running the minimum amount of spacers. It was still a little wack so I spaced it up a bunch when I got a new Boxxer in 2006. Kept it the same spaced up on my 2010 Boxxer last year.

I just got a Truvativ direct mount stem. Looks like I will need to keep it spaced up still. Not a big deal.
Good to know its not just me spacing it up LOL
I was irritated at first but it was pretty straight forward as far as fitting it. The steer was a tad under where it touched the threaded to the tube but not enough I need to worry.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Hey! great to read your review! sounds like it works magic! Heres a pretty ignorent question, can you retrofit this to a boxxer race or does the rebound of motion control work completly different to the one on a mission control type fork? Can't wait to hear how the new AVA cartridge works. It would be a logical upgrade to my boxxer race (even though its 2010).

Hey! great to read your review! sounds like it works magic! Heres a pretty ignorent question, can you retrofit this to a boxxer race or does the rebound of motion control work completly different to the one on a mission control type fork? Can't wait to hear how the new AVA cartridge works. It would be a logical upgrade to my boxxer race (even though its 2010).

The rebound upgrade Bullcrew has will NOT work on the Race. For the Race you will need to purchase the full cart conversion. If you do that and buy the air spring conversion parts you will have the holy grail at a discount no less, ha, ha...:rockout:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
hahah okay, thanks for setting the record straight. How much is the mission control cartridge running for?
He's right on, the Hi speed mod is for the team and WC, the cartridge that replaces the whole guts on the right leg is $399 installed and then yeah get the air cart etc you will have a air sprung monster fork. As soon as the cartridge adapter kit is available for the 2010 Ill do my other WC over to it...

I have 2 2010 WCs so this one will remain with this kit so I can beat the HE!! out of it long term and get a good review as well as its amazing.:thumb:

I will do the cartridge in the other WC and the same thing beat the HE!! out of it too and that way I can make a educated review and long term on both...

Last edited:

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
He's right on, the Hi speed mod is for the team and WC, the cartridge that replaces the whole guts on the right leg is $399 installed and then yeah get the air cart etc you will have a air sprung monster fork. As soon as the cartridge adapter kit is available for the 2010 Ill do my other WC over to it...

I have 2 2010 WCs so this one will remain with this kit so I can beat the HE!! out of it long term and get a good review as well as its amazing.:thumb:

I will do the cartridge in the other WC and the same thing beat the HE!! out of it too and that way I can make a educated review and long term on both...
No offense Bullcrew but you seem pretty excited about this whole thing so I suspect there will be some "placebo effect" and therefore bias your review. So, we expect nothing but a positive review from you anyway. Might I suggest you send me both forks for back to back testing for a completely objective review? ;):D

P.S. sorry to hear about your buddy's condition....healing vibes to him.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
Craig should start selling Boxxers direct- Race models upgraded with his cart, decals and the air spring for less than the WC.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
No offense Bullcrew but you seem pretty excited about this whole thing so I suspect there will be some "placebo effect" and therefore bias your review. So, we expect nothing but a positive review from you anyway. Might I suggest you send me both forks for back to back testing for a completely objective review? ;):D

P.S. sorry to hear about your buddy's condition....healing vibes to him.
LOL yeah if Josh didnt have a AVA 5th and a DHF on his bike we beat on Id have been OK. But its pretty hard when you ride your uber set up bike and it feels really good then a clapped out bullit with avy suspension rocks it in the nasty stuff. Damn well knowing my bikes faster that Josh and I are on par speed wise in the rough and his Bullit was that smooth leaves only 1 thing, Suspension! I knew better than to start riding it, custom tuned suspension is the next level of equiptment and its literally set it and forget it. Eliminates alot of tinkering trying to dial stuff in.

Runner:

As far as Craig replacing stuff he's been trying to work with Rockshox to get parts direct that way he can service the worn parts for the upgrade and you dont have to send it to Rochshox then send it to him. It literaly would make it a seamless service and upgrade. Apparently they aren't willing to work with him at all on this even though they apparently do work with 1 person like this. Buying 100k worth of product to save money from taiwan isnt an option for most (or the 1 person they work with) but apparently thats Rockshoxs answer for tuners. You cant really rely on BTI of QBP stuffs not always in stock and has been know to take some time for them to order stuff in at times. He was trying to make it as fast a service as possible so the forks only down for a brief moment.

I dont now the whole story so I wont go into it, the fact is the cartridge is a monster upgrade and Craig as always wants to make sure its the best possible experience for his cutomers even if its not his parts (castings, bushings etc.).

On the lighter side of things the hi speed mod literally made it a super stable fork, no spiking at all. We will be doing the 5k trail tomorrow night rain or shine so Dirty Dans are going on and we are shuttling it, Its cold again so if theres going to be a hint of spiking anymore it should reveal itself in the cold weather. I havent had the packing issue at all since the upgrade even at speed or greater on the places it did before(rock gardens, fast multiple square edge hits). Tomorrow nights ride the Oil will be thicker due to cold, theres snow right where the start of the trail is again.

Last edited:

slopoke

Chimp
Jun 17, 2009
Tx
so, if I wanted to do this mod to a boxxer race, could I get the hi and low speed adjust as well?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
so, if I wanted to do this mod to a boxxer race, could I get the hi and low speed adjust as well?
I would think so if you swapped in the right leg parts from a team or WC then yes... It basically would be a team then you cold do the Hi speed mod... Its for the 2010 forks only at this point the cartridge kit is for alot of different forks but the only adapter kit is for the older boxxers for the moment then the other adapters will be out for the rest of us...

Id be curious if you could upgrade a new race to a team and what it would take.....

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
thats my doubt as well. How much does it cost to upgrade from race to team? But just on the cartridge side, not with the "antibottom thingy" the team has

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Got some mtn ride time today flawless, unfortunently I rpiied a rear der. off it went into the spokes and sheered 1 spoke and the chain is useless for the moment...

So the boxxer ripped it up literally kicked @$$, of course the woodie rocked but the biggest gain on stuff was the NO PACKING up on the boxxer.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
A couple pics from today we didnt get much further up the mtn to the bigger drops as a result of the last photo. The rocks got me dammit......

Anyone have a couple of I9 spokes they want to sell me???? DH wheelset so DH spokes. I need a X9 rear der medium cage as well LOL

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
OK heres a update as well as a pic of the Avalanche blessed SC bullit... LOL

The run is the Lucky peak trail part fire road, goat trail and 2-3' water bars and one thats 30'+ between and trying to double it at that speed proves to be intresting. They are build like kickers so they all spit you up and out the run in on them was lengthened a bit and the average speed is FAST the 36th is usesless literally its gone long before you hit the cruising speed on the steeps.
Anyhow there are corners for big drifts, 20+ water bar/kickers, HUGE ruts on the back side of the bars, tight single track and an area strewn with rocks in and out of corners.

So this part of the review is not for huge drops or DJ its for high speed: jumps, hard hits, cornering, rocks, and overall high speed control on all of the above with multiple hits.

Fork:
Performed FLAWLESS no packing whatsoever total control and didnt bottom out slamming into a couple of the water bars that usually send 1 person over the bars from the high speed buck. I did open the low speed for better slow hits and turned the high speed up a little to take the hits and the low speed stayed plush with no noticeable effect from adjusting the high speed (which was not the case before). As far as cornering there arent many berms so you use whats available at that speed to hold a line which isnt smooth it consists of rocks, edge with bush roots and a bit of dirt and usually not alot so get it and push off it while its available to get the corner done and drift if needed.
No issues it didnt skip a beat and I coiuld pack the fork and use it to push off whatever was available at that speed and kept it rippin the whole trail.. I messed with the adjustments a bit on the lower section to see and cranked the high speed on and left the low speed out, there was a little bit of effect but so little it was nothing. Before it was too much that you had to rely on the hi speed and low speed and find a nice medium where there effects on each other played nicely and left a little bit to be desired... Now theres a GOOD amount of seperation so I can adjust it more specific and less compromise.

As far as the woodie: LMAO Nothing to say there aside of the fact its a freaking MONSTER.... Absolutely amazing and soaks up everyhting multiple hit after hit and fast shaft speeds consistently it was amazing. NOT 1 time did I feel I didnt have control of the bike or worried at the bigger square edges of a few of the Wbars...

I pushed on Mike a bit too hard who was pushing on Alan and Mike launched a good 25'+ and landed front wheel in a diagonal water rut that was 20"+ (not quite 2 feet almost as tall as a tire) deep and grabbed his front wheel and slammed it to the side... Over Mike went sailing through the air 2 complete cartwheels and missed his head going into the rut down further I got lucky I was right on him and ready to monster truck his 951 should it pop infront of me, I was going through it if need be fortunently it layed out and slid.

So aside of some road rash and a Kneecap that looked like a sliced open lobster tail with all the fat and whatever flapped over and the blood all was good...

THis happened at full speed

Wifes back next week so we are doing some hard rides and will do pics as well as a more thourough look at the adjustments and settings on both then its off to Socal to beat on it some more...

Heres a pic of Joshs Bullit all decked with a Avy DHF and 5ht Thats Avy tuned as well.

Last edited:

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
nice write up, sounds like a fun weekend! Im jelous! I want my bike to get here so I can ride and put some time on it. Hopefully, Ill buy a used DHS soon enough.

Dominator13

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
Sounds like fun! We gots to ride soon....

On another note, I really hammered the DHS on the DT last night and all I have to say is, WOW! That shock is amazing once you push it to the limit. It really does perform better the faster and harder you make it work. Time to step it up!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Sounds like fun! We gots to ride soon....

On another note, I really hammered the DHS on the DT last night and all I have to say is, WOW! That shock is amazing once you push it to the limit. It really does perform better the faster and harder you make it work. Time to step it up!
LOL its pretty amazing how well they work the faster you go...
Im on my way starting June and will be down alot so Ill take a route your direction one of the trips down. :thumb:

Once Im back we'll be looking to open places up north so its inevitable that Ill be there alot...

george

Chimp
Sep 14, 2001
Boston MA
Just adding a little Avy stoke to the thread - finally replaced the stock dhx3. w/ a chubby on my Bullit & couldn't be happier. I struggled w/ pushing / mx'ing the dhx. cane creek, elka etc - went w/ the Avy, bolted it on & just rode it. Haven't touched any adjustments - shock just works well in all conditions - slow speed tech, big drops, drops to flat, high speed chop & I swear it pedals better too - thanks Craig!

Now if I could get an avy cart for the 66!!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

Now if I could get an avy cart for the 66
!!
Yeah you me both!!!!! Id like to see a single crown version down the pipe at some point that would be nice...

Yeah thanks for the stoke on Avy, it is amazing how diverse the shock is as well as the amount of damping and consistency is untouched currently buy other shocks Ive rode... Yeah it does seem to pedal better as well....
I had a DHS on the F1 when I rode TUnnel the first time and 4 runs later between it and CS it was still rockin the same from beginning to end each run.

Tip for those with Hi/Lo speed adjuster:
Close the Hi speed off it will block all 4 holes allowing you to pedal really hard up hill and create a threshold... Remember to back it off to your settings for the trip back down...
:thumb:

Last edited: