Quantcast

Avalanche Mtm-8 vs Dhf-8

supros88

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
Australia
Whats the difference between the Mtn-8 and DHF-8 forks & Mtn & Dhf shocks & do they boath feel the same to ride?
how do the above compaire to dorados & 888s?

ALso i would use them for hucking & a bit of racing.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I would check Avalanches website www.avalanchedownhillracing.com for the details. I have never even seen either of them, but I had ridden his rear shocks for several years. If you can you might call Craig or email him and ask your questions. He is very willing to explain the differences and which he thinks will suit your riding. From what I can tell, the MTN-8 is the end all of custom forks. It has every bell and whistle. Whereas the DHF-8 is a little more assemble line. But take that with a gain of salt. Nothing Craig does is too assemble line. He does custom tune each product to you, your ability, you terrain, and your bike. Hope this helped.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Originally posted by supros88
Whats the difference between the Mtn-8 and DHF-8 forks & Mtn & Dhf shocks & do they boath feel the same to ride?
how do the above compaire to dorados & 888s?

ALso i would use them for hucking & a bit of racing.
wow man, with the austrailan exchange rate, and the fact the the mtn-8 fork is $3300 US to begin with........whew, why not buy an 888, and with the extra cash, buy a formula 1 team or something??

(nothing worthwhile to conreibute to this thread):D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
if private joker still frequents this board, ask him...he's owned both of those forks. from i recall, the MTN-8 was an absolute beast of a fork; it was really an MX fork. the DHF-8 was lighter by a few pounds but still no lightweight.

alternately, you can likely get in touch w/ him via his gforce photo site

mikedee69

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Van City
Originally posted by narlus
, the MTN-8 was an absolute beast of a fork; it was really an MX fork. the DHF-8 was lighter by a few pounds but still no lightweight
From what I know, the MTN is a smaller version(only slightly) of a moto cross fork. With all the good stuff that comes along in them. Fully adjustable High and low speed compression and well as adjustable high and low speed rebound. Where again, the DHF and DHS series of products are smaller, lighter and more affordable for a greater range of riders. Now, don't get me wrong, the avalanche equipment is still the best. The MTN series is, well the best of the best. I've ridden Craig's DHS dampers for a while now, I've been spoiled. Anything else just feels bland. I rode a friends bike that was equiped with a DHF Ti 8 and it was very very very nice.
The main difference between the Dorado and a DHF is the maintenance issue(Ihaven't yet ridden a 888). The DHF is virtually maintenance free, just keep it clean. The Dorado you will have to pull apart every month or two and clean out and re lubricate.
Call or e mail Craig, he'll fill you in further.
later

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
i own a DHF-8 , to be honest i cant see anyone deriving much benefit from owning a mtn-8 apart from having more knobs to twiddle with.

The fork takes everything i throw at it, 15ft drops , 35ft doubles , Dh racing on all manner of courses and performs faultlessly constantly with utterly no maintainence.

I've spent a bit of time on dorados and 888s , i wouldn't swap:).

having said that , im not small , i weigh 200lbs , im 6ft5 and ride a 50lb bike , if i was smaller i might think differently about the fork and find the other options more appealling.

The best feature is the anti-bottoming system(read details on the avy website) , i've never actually felt the fork bottom

:)

hope that helps.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
The MTN forks have ridiculously oversized everything; from what I understand they are more or less the same fork as the C-Cycle (the motocross suspension hop-up company from which Avalanche spawned) YZ80 fork, but with lighter legs and crowns. The only MTN fork I ever rode felt incredible, but I don't know if the performance was enough to justify the 15 - 16 pound weight. The DHF 8 weighs about 9 pounds out of the box, so it's not unreasonably heavy. They also feel great and use most of the same internal damping system as the MTN forks. It still has hugely oversized stanchions (37mm if I recall) so the fork is pretty solid.

CTR

Chimp
Sep 1, 2002
Australia
Originally posted by Fulton
wow man, with the austrailan exchange rate, and the fact the the mtn-8 fork is $3300 US to begin with........whew, why not buy an 888, and with the extra cash, buy a formula 1 team or something??

(nothing worthwhile to conreibute to this thread):D
the aussie dollar is actualy really good at the moment compared to the US, 2 years ago we were lucky to get 60 cents, now we can alomst get 80, thats a pretty big increase.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Yeah, have a friend who got an Mtn 8, - it is massive ! Quite heavy and the stanctions are huge ! I guees it is quite ultimate if you do not consider the weight, but I am not sure if the overbuild justify spending an extra 1600$ compared to the DHF ?!?!?!

supros88

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
Australia
Thanks guys
I have already been to the Avalanche site & have searched the ridemonkey fourms, but not all my questions were answered so that is why i posted this thred, but i probley will email Craig & Private Joker.

According to this Go-Ride page the mtn-8 is only 11 lbs & that the mtn-8 & dhf-8 have the same internals so why is there such a big price hike & whats the diff between the dhf-8 & the dhf-8 ti? http://www.go-ride.com/prod_susp_chart.html [ i tried to post a link but i think i buggered it up LOL]

The thing that made me interested in the mtn-8 was on the avalanche website they said that Doug Henry rode a set & said that they were better that his works motocross forks. Having come from a moto background i realy liked the sound of these forks.

I was thinking of buying a set 2nd, but i suppose i would have to send them to avalanche to get them setup for me.

Has anyone had any experience or got any opions with the new custom, hand assembled, factory works 888?

also thank's for all the help guys!!!http://www.go-ride.com/prod_susp_chart.html

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
My mtn-8 is around 14lbs. The 11lbs must have no gaurds or headset. My dhf8 is a hair under 10.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Has anyone had any experience or got any opions with the new custom, hand assembled, factory works 888?
The what? Are you talking about a stock 888? Or is a suspension tuner doing work on them already?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Originally posted by Bulldog
The what? Are you talking about a stock 888? Or is a suspension tuner doing work on them already?
I thought I overheard somewhere that you could purchase an 888 direct from Marzocchi and they would "custom" tune it to whatever your weight/riding style is. I think that is what supros88 is talking about.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Originally posted by sikocycles
My mtn-8 is around 14lbs. The 11lbs must have no gaurds or headset. My dhf8 is a hair under 10.
ten pounds? hm thats lighter then mine. on the scale here it weighed about 4.8kg (10.6lbs)
ok that scale is not the most precise ever made :)

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Acadian
from what I remember...

it was a Limited Edition, Hand Assembled, Custom Tuned, Factory works 888's!!

you just call them and tell them exactly what you want...give them your weight, Age, Height, Riding Ability, Style, Terrain, Fork feel you are looking for and how much travel and Marz will custom build you an 888.

for $1350...

Don't know closed cart system or not..
Age? LOL ;) That's a pretty cool deal. $200 for works tuning. Only a 'lil bit more than the same from Push for the rear. :thumb:

Hmmmm...wonder if they'll offer that service on the 66 fork?!!! :D

supros88

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
Australia
it was a Limited Edition, Hand Assembled, Custom Tuned, Factory works 888's!!

you just call them and tell them exactly what you want...give them your weight, Age, Height, Riding Ability, Style, Terrain, Fork feel you are looking for and how much travel and Marz will custom build you an 888.

for $1350...
yeah thats what i mean.

sounds like mtn-8s are just too heavy.

Whats the diff between dhf-8 & dhf-8ti?

How do dhf-8s compaire in performance & feel to say dorados & 888s?

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
the difference between the two DHF8 versions:

DHF8: steel springs in both legs and two damping units
DHF8 Ti: one tianium spring and only one damping unit. softer valving for racing only and only for riders below 180lbs

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
According to this Go-Ride page the mtn-8 is only 11 lbs & that the mtn-8 & dhf-8 have the same internals so why is there such a big price hike & whats the diff between the dhf-8 & the dhf-8 ti? http://www.go-ride.com/prod_susp_chart.html [ i tried to post a link but i think i buggered it up LOL]

also thank's for all the help guys!!!http://www.go-ride.com/prod_susp_chart.html
That is definitely a typo, the last MTN-8 we had here was about 15 pounds out of the box.

supros88

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
Australia
The main question is what is the difference betwene the mtm-8 & the dhf-8?
I know the mtn has larger stantchions & wheighs a lot more but are the internals the same, & if so why does the mtn-8 cost so much more?

What applications could you use the forks in ie: can u realalisticly use mtn-8s for dh?

How strong are the dhf-8 & dhf-8 ti & has anyone herd of them breaking?

I know some of you will consider some of these questions dumb, i realy appershate your info & i can't ride a set so i just have to ask.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
not sure whether the MTN 8 has different internals, from what the website states it should. best is to ask the guys who have one.

personally i think the MTN8 is to heavy for dh (racing). imho the nearly 11 pounds of my regular DHF 8 is maximum for racing.

the DHF 8 is very strong, though a friend of mine bent the uppers on his fork last year (no crash just a stupid landing)
we told craig what happened, no "just riding along! bull****.
sent the uppers back and they were replaced, no problem at all.
Craig was awesome to deal with. two thumbs up.

Avy Rider

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Muskoka,Canada
There are 2 differences between the forks you are talking about that haven't been mentioned...

1. The mountain 8 has rider adjustable HIGH SPEED compression dampening.The DHF doesn't but does come with SLOW speed compression to help with fork dive and slower technical descents.

2. The Mountain 8 also IS tuned to the rider specifically by Craig unlike the DHF (which I own). They are still quite tuneable,but that must be done by the owner.Oil height and spring weight are the 2 adjustments that make the biggest difference on the DHF.

dhdescender

Chimp
Oct 3, 2001
QB - BC
My Team's DHF-Ti seems to blow all the other "production" forks out of the water, its working lieka champ. It would be nice if it were lighter, but thats getting pretty picky, a pound per inch of travel is about right. I have the 8" version.