Quantcast

AVALANCHE single crown upgrade cart out!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
OK so single crown fork guys the Avalanche cartridges are being fitted into single crowns now so mini DHFs...
The weigt added 6 ozs to the 66 but also went from 245ccs to 50ccs in theleft leg so its just a lubricated leg now and so the weight is a push now...

Marzcchi 66s are ready to roll and the Totems are being worked on as well as 36s and the 40s also in progress...
Review shortly to follow

They have a shortened rod so if you decide to go to a dual crown you order a longer rod and the adapter kit it fits right into your other fork as well..

The same cartirdge as the dual crown forks and has HYDRAULIC bottom out as well.... HUGE plus...

Cartridges, there will be 3 lengths:
203mm version (in 66 210ccs damp leg and 50ccs non damper side)
180mm version
160mm version

They are all the same as far as internals, speed sensative etc... YOU WILL be able to retrofit them to other forks by ordering a longer rod and tube if you have the 180mm version or 160 you can go up or down then get the adapter kit OR you can do like I did and get a 203mm version with a shorter rod so all I have to do is swap it to a dial crown and order a longer rod.
Either way Craig has made this totally interchangeable and with just a little more you CAN retrofit it to other forks as well so theres no need to sell it off if you decide you want a different fork chassis or you destroy your chassis.

Marzocchi 66 2011 CHASIS

Avalanche 66 Cartridge

Oil lock ring from Avalanche make sure tapered side is down

2011 MArzocci 66 lowers slotted bushings

Golden Spectro 85/150 cartridge fluid 200-210ccs for cart side and 50ccs for non cart side

210ccs so 200-205 after rest is left in container

Compression knob

Installed

2011 66 with AVY cart

And the parts that came out. These will retrofit the knobs as well for the adjusters and hopefully a replacement cap for the other lower leg to get rid of the rock nipple sitting there...

INITIAL setup and pics: Going to do some stair
Ordered a 2011 (platinum ) chasis it will be here monday so till then Ill rock the 09

Tips: First off the adjuster nut does not come close to hitting frame, when installed take Avy adapter back it off so its open push down fork 1-2"s hold it then rethread adpater back in when its tight then let nack up it gets rid of any air in there ion the single crown stuff... Also the air assist Im running 2-3 psi for preload with a yellow spring 238lbs...

Group ride with tuning and ride report... (ALWAYS make sure fork has enough preload, OTB into the rocks today)

Heres the group

Last edited:

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Awesome! So who wants to buy my blown 66ATA and slap onna these bad boys in? :fans:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
None yet but if they are similiar to a totem im sure it will be an option.
cost is the same its the same cart from the dual crowns with a shortened rod. Outside and internals are identical. If you vet a 888 or boxxer pull this add a longer rod and adapterkit needed and install it. Raced this weekend and the fork (bxr) was insane handled amazing and the faster i pushed in the rough the better it performed.
Amazing performance...,

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Nice, good to see Craig moving fast on this stuff(I thought Elka was gonna come out w/their single crown 36 conversion first). I know my bro would be interested in doing this to his 55. Seeing how cheap I've seen Lyriks go for lately(and 55s for that matter), once the Lyrik kit comes out that might be a great option for people(much like the boxxer race + ava kit).

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Im wondering if this will be available/doable for an older 66? I have on 06 RC2x, but those have dual springs (+ Air) and with my gigantic butt, will 1 spring w/ air work..

hmm..

Last edited:

Panda

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
Louisiana
Im loving my boxxer + avy cart. Cant wait to put this on my 66. Just got a brand new 2011 36 for my Blur LTC. I would be hard to imagine that fork feeling any better but worth a shot IMO

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
now if only he could make one for a short travel fork...
Lol he just did...,
I think he was referring to the lengths you'd find on a "trail" bike and up. (Basically, 140+ mm)

If the only additional new parts that need to be manufactured are a new damping rod and top cap, Craig can look forward to making quite a bit of money from these units.

I don't see myself purchasing one of these for my 2010 66RC3 Ti, simply because the stock damping is "good enough" for me and Marzocchi's 3-year NQA warranty.

However, I'd definitely buy one for my Pike, if available. Motion Control is horribad.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
actually, i was thinking more like <130 mm. real short travel. as far as i'm concerned anything more than 4" is long travel... i've got a marzocchi 4x and an older talas that would probably both feel loads better with a little different damping setup...its just so cool cause the basic cartridge doesn't have to change, just the adapter on the top cap!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah but the issue is that the 35mm 66s have springs in both legs if I remember correctly.
So is the comp and rebound all on the same side AND can a firmer spring be used in place so only one like the newer...

There are forks on the workbench being fitted right now as well as measured literally... I know Craig has been slammed as well as doesnt answer all the time with assembly, orders and prototyping but as soon as I can egt through I have a couple of questions...

My Avalanche 66 is here today, pretty damn excited......
So I will tear it apart and inspect it like usuall to look around and get familiar with it.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Heres what I know and Ill put it in the first post as well:

Cartridges, there will be 3 lengths: (thats the plan at this point)
203mm version
180mm version
160mm version

They are all the same as far as internals, speed sensative etc... YOU WILL be able to retrofit them to other forks by ordering a longer rod and tube if you have the 180mm version or 160 you can go up or down then get the adapter kit OR you can do like I did and get a 203mm version with a shorter rod so all I have to do is swap it to a dial crown and order a longer rod.

The reason for the shorter rods is this, with the longer tube you need more oil to cover it and this in turn adds a bit of progressiveness to the fork from the air ramping up with the oil amount. By running a shorter set up you have less oil and less progressive. On a single crown Im not too worried about it getting a bit progressive just compress the fork 1-2" then screw the damp side cap back on.

Either way Craig has made this tottally interchangeable and with just a little more you CAN retrofit it to other forks as well so theres no need to sell it off if you decide you want a different fork chassis or you destroy your chassis.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Dude you are a total fiend!
How do you ever have any $$ left over at the end of the month!:D

I want to say something witty but your right! LOL
No Wifes got a good job and I have shops...Im in the toy accumulation mode right now, and Im a accumulating!!!!!!!:thumb:

I will be doing a complete tear down, and reshim then mount it and the left side guts into a new chasis this week so Ill get pics. Its pretty straight forward but I think a cart. tear down and a reshim how to would be beneficial. Im adding a bit more rebound and compression as well as going to tighten the mid speed up a bit on the fork.... Its PLUSH right now but with my weight and the less travel I need to dial it in a bit as well as reducing hte oil 10ccs to see if it cavitates. So It will be a dial in session that hopefully helps people....
Ive got my race fork so Ill play with this one a bit and get used to tuning and dialing it in... So if Im off I still have the other and dont miss a beat...

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
There would have been better pics but no one else wanted to do a night ride in the rain :thumb: so just a couple of pics...

OK went out and got a ride in tonight Night DH not too bad... Actually its rained all day and drizzling while I rode. Good ride fork performed flawless off the drops and berms/rocks. Forgot how nimble a single crown is almost got a bit outa control a time or two, went to muscle it and realized a steeper and shorter (HA/fork) is faster on response... LMAO what a rush...

I thought the comp was a bit soft till I opened it up through the rocks and it handled perfectly. It did not ramp and pack trying to throw me forward it soaked it up controlled and the tire stayed WELL placed and tracked. The rebound is good but Im going to up it a bit (SHIMZ :D) and ELIMINATE the air assist and add nylon washers (spacers) to preload the spring Im not a huge fan the ramp up the air chamber adds...
I like Night DH because you cant see whats coming very well and your forced to stay in an attack position while hoping for the best sometimes, you have to really rely on suspension to assist you incase of bad choices.. (that and a death grip while being layed back :D)
it had incredible small bump and mid size hits (7-10" rocks) it mowed over no big deal. It handled navigating up and over rocks and rock gardens really well, theres a definite difference between a dual and single as far as feeling... Or atleast there has been for me, sinles are always a bit more progressive and I run duals a bit more linear.

So I am going to add a smidge more rebound to it and I think Im leaving the comp alone... Its always abit hard for me because they behave so differently to begin with...

Heres a couple of OWLS in the tree, Im not camera literate so the shot is grainy I should have slowed the shuuter speed...

Last edited:

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
BC - sent you a PM regarding a Jedi with a single crown but now that you have a single crown on the Jedi after a long stint on a dual what are your thoughts. My frame has arrived and I am looking to order my fork and wheels within the week. The delays have me jumping between and Boxxer and Totem/66. Hope to be running the Avy cart and a Woodie early next year but still not sure which way to go on the fork. Does the Jedi feel balanced with the single crown and do you miss the 20mm of travel or stiffness? Never run a dual so I dont know what I am missing. If it was only for SOuth Korea then single for sure but I am not sure what trails are waiting for me in Soouth Africa.