Quantcast

Avalanche Suspension?

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Just wondering about Avy for susp.. I hear alot about the Cane DB but not to much about avy.. Just wondering for a rear shock is the Woodie the way to go or the DHS. Also does anybody run the DHX 8.0 is it worth the $$$ I know AVY makes great stuff, I just dont see alot of people running it.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
cane creek are some sweet shocks, but avy is top quality too. I've been running avy forks and rears for 4 yrs now. you will not be displeased

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
never ridin avy suspension, but i had my suspension set up by a giant tech and it rides sooooo good. maybe you guys need to adjust your suspension?

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
You don't see many people running them because he doesn't sponsor people.

Woodie and DHS are basically the same. Same internals, just that the Woodie's reservoir is part of the body instead of being attached by a hose.
I rock a Woodie on my Transition, and have run DHSes on other bikes. The forks feel aweswome, too.
If you get one, go for the seperate high/low speed comp adjuster. Makes a nice difference.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
my buddy has a roco and has had nothing but problems.... maby its just a lemon.. idk .... go with the dhx
meh, I've got a Rocco and its been great to me. Maybe it was an early production run?

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
el gordo, first off you are new here, you joined in august of 07. Maybe you had a different sn before maybe you didnt. If you were a member for a while(3 years or so) you would know about the avy cult

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Anyway, like I said I just dont see alot of guys rocking AVY from what I have seen.. I know Avy makes killer stuff just wondering if its worth the $$. I was thinking of getting my DHX sent to Push for some tuning but was also thinking of getting a Woodie. My question with the DHF 8.0 is is it worth spending the money on it compared to getting a 888 WC or a Fox 40? Also wanted to see who was running one to get there opinion on it. Its for my Blindside that I building for next season I want to race with it but I dont mind spending some $$$ if the fork is gonna be awesome. I mean weight wise I am 240lb and the bike is gonna be heavy as is just feel like adding a 10lb fork is alot of weight.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
el gordo, first off you are new here, you joined in august of 07. Maybe you had a different sn before maybe you didnt. If you were a member for a while(3 years or so) you would know about the avy cult

Yeah I am new, no doubt. Just got back into DH since having 2 years off cause i tore my ankle real bad. All I wanted to know was about AVY dude whats the big deal, maybe its been covered 100 times whatever I still have questions.. Yeah I know nothing about the AVY cult..

So should I get a AVY Fork? Just wanted to get the insight from someone who rides one to see if it is worth the coin or should I look more into a 888 WC or Fox 40

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Anyway, like I said I just dont see alot of guys rocking AVY from what I have seen..

You don't see a lot of people rocking AVY anymore because (like me), they realized you can get a stock Fox, Marz, CC or Manitou shock for less than 1/2 the price, less weight, and infinitely more adjustability. I swore by Avalanche shocks when I had them on my bikes, but ever since going to a DHX coil on the DH bike, DHX air on the trail bike and RP23 on the XC bike, I haven't looked back.

However, if stupid big drops to flat are your thing, AVYs are your best friend.

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
Both are nice shocks. In my very biased opinion it all depends on what you want. If you love to fiddle with adjustments, and tweak different things then the CC BB is for you. On the other hand if you want a really durable shock that you can set it and forget about it, look at the Avy.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
just as stray says, avys are about putting, setting and forgetting. They are stupid simple in the way they function and they never let you down. If you want more ajustability (what for if you normally set your shock and never touch it again) there are many options.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
I don't think I would get a AVY fork due to weight and price, and there is simply better out there IMO. But I wouldn't hesitate to get another AVY DHS rear shock, or similar, as they are awesome.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Why not just try riding the bike that you built 20 minutes ago so when you change the shock you can make an educated comparison?

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Why not just try riding the bike that you built 20 minutes ago so when you change the shock you can make an educated comparison?
Are you serious Bro... Here is one of your posts..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which 36 do I need?

I'm looking for a fork for my SX Trail and would like to get a 36, but am basically confused as to which one is best suited to my riding. I'm trying to decide between the Float and the Van since I'm told the Talas likes to shart its guts out if you hit it too hard in a lowered state.

-I plan on using the bike as a lightweight/mini DH bike, more or less.
-I'm a fan of faster flow trails more so than giant piles of rock.
-Also, I'm not the smoothest rider ever, but I'm by not means a total hack.
-I weigh 137lbs.

The website has all the sales-points and such, but I guess I'm looking for anybody with some first hand experience with the actual product rather then all the manufacturer sweet talk. I've read anything I have been able to find about the fork line, both on here and MTBR (though sometimes the MTBR reviews seem to lack any insight. e.g.,"...this product sucks nuts. The end." or, "This is the best fork evAr!") and the main problem people mention is that the forks tend to bottom out easy, as well as rather hard. Is this just the result of an ape trying to follow fork setup directions, or do they actually blow through travel too easy? Will this not be an issue at my weight? The only "drops" I would be doing are ones found on DH-type trails, not hucks off of houses or anything.

Anyway, right now I'm leaning towards the VAN RC2 because it is a coil fork and I have no experience with air forks. Anything I should know?

Seriously, let me hear your opinions, I know you've got them, but please keep the hearsay to a minimum, if at all possible.

I believe we are both asking questions about forks and people experience with them.....Unless you have something to add about my questions go post some where else .. Really why come to my thread and hate, obviously you dont know anything about AVY Forks so why waste a reply with your stupid comment.. I am building a DH bike for next season genius and debating what fork to run.. You weigh 137lbs I take Sh*ts Bigger than you STFU...

Seroiusly dont understand this SH*T.. I dont waste my time and go into people threads just to talk Sh*t if I think its a gay post I just dont reply to it..

Ah what can you do.. Hey CKxx I hope your like a 12 yr old asian boy weighing 137lb and not a full grown man..

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Anyway, like I said I just dont see alot of guys rocking AVY from what I have seen.. I know Avy makes killer stuff just wondering if its worth the $$. I was thinking of getting my DHX sent to Push for some tuning but was also thinking of getting a Woodie. My question with the DHF 8.0 is is it worth spending the money on it compared to getting a 888 WC or a Fox 40? Also wanted to see who was running one to get there opinion on it. Its for my Blindside that I building for next season I want to race with it but I dont mind spending some $$$ if the fork is gonna be awesome. I mean weight wise I am 240lb and the bike is gonna be heavy as is just feel like adding a 10lb fork is alot of weight.
at 240, i say go with the avy shock, it would be hard to argue that there is anything more reliable available

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
never ridin avy suspension, but i had my suspension set up by a giant tech and it rides sooooo good. maybe you guys need to adjust your suspension?
seriously though man, your right. I just cranked up the preload knob of my 01 jr.t, and it rocks now. most bestest suspension ever. dang, think off all the stupid people that dropped cash on "good" forks...

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Have you seen MSRP on this years new Marz forks? Avy sure doesn't seem very expensive now...

I run a DHF8Ti, single damper. Great for me, but you're a big guy and would need to run the more expensive/heavier dual.

Check out your options: talk to other clydes and see what works for them, and what doesn't. Maybe check into '02 Marz Monsters. They can be setup to run sweet, and can handle the abuse you will give them.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Have you seen MSRP on this years new Marz forks? Avy sure doesn't seem very expensive now...

I run a DHF8Ti, single damper. Great for me, but you're a big guy and would need to run the more expensive/heavier dual.

Check out your options: talk to other clydes and see what works for them, and what doesn't. Maybe check into '02 Marz Monsters. They can be setup to run sweet, and can handle the abuse you will give them.
Yeah i would go for the Dual damper which is $1800 or i can get a new 08 888 WC for $1400.. I just want to make the decision based on which fork is gonna be reliable, forgiving and plush. Like I said i just want it to barrel thru stuff I am just not sure I need a AVY to do it. It seem like AVY was the SH*t a few years ago and now the new forks offer more.

Do you really think the DHF 8.0 is better than a 888 or a fox 40?

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Can't compare it to the '08 888 as I haven't beaten on one yet, and they are all new.
The DHF owns my '07 888, though, I have on my other bike. Feels like a Shiver, only more solid. The Avy is much more supple over the high frequency bumps. Like night and day...

For the plowing you say you're planning on doing, I'd say steer away from the 40. They feel nice but are maintainence intensive, and the lowers are thin as fvck. Big guy scraping a rock will blow through them, and you'll be down for warranty.

Like I said, you may want to look around for an older Monster. Cheap and strong, and the older ones aren't that heavy.

FLdragon

Chimp
Oct 22, 2005
in the area
I love my Avy.
Had a Fox DHX on my R9 while I was waiting for my AvA to come back from an oil change...After 1 ride I couldnt wait to get the Fox DHX off the bike!..The shock felt "lost" back there. Completely overwhelmed by the frame. The Fox DHX felt like a paper-clip compared to the AvA. The Fox pedals nice though.
Cant say anything about the CaneCreek. Never tried a CaneCreek.
I have spent a season on a Fox RC, Romic, two years on a Swinger 6-way & Fifth Element. Those shocks aren't bad but the AvA blows them all completely out of the water in performance.
To anyone who disagrees with me please
No use flaming me unless you spent a full year on an AvA. thanks in advance.

FLdragon

Chimp
Oct 22, 2005
in the area
Avalanche will be coming out with the "Avalanche Advantage"
Keep your eye out for it...!
Basically AvA will upgrade your 888's(& other brands rear shocks too)
with the "Avalanche Advantage". Sort of like what Push has been doing for rear shocks but Avalanche is gonna pimp up the 888's too!!
Craig is a perfectionist so you know it is gonna be an amazing upgrade..If you want more details about what exactly the upgrade is then go call Craig at Avalanche. I'm not sure the details. I just ride.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Avalanche will be coming out with the "Avalanche Advantage"
Keep your eye out for it...!
Basically AvA will upgrade your 888's(& other brands rear shocks too)
with the "Avalanche Advantage". Sort of like what Push has been doing for rear shocks but Avalanche is gonna pimp up the 888's too!!
Craig is a perfectionist so you know it is gonna be an amazing upgrade..If you want more details about what exactly the upgrade is then go call Craig at Avalanche. I'm not sure the details. I just ride.
So he takes a perfectly damped fork and overdamps it?:busted:;)

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
one question though... you want a fork that can plow through things and that can handle your weight? don't get me wrong, but you could loose some weight which will improve your skill and riding ability and will decrease the servicing amount on all your bike parts. It's just cheaper to loose some weight.

On the other hand, you can't go wrong with the avalanche suspension. If you want something a bit lighter, cheaper and supper stiff, you could go with the new 888. Seriously, if the DHF would be two pounds lighter, the thing would be everywhere!

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
one question though... you want a fork that can plow through things and that can handle your weight? don't get me wrong, but you could loose some weight which will improve your skill and riding ability and will decrease the servicing amount on all your bike parts. It's just cheaper to loose some weight.

On the other hand, you can't go wrong with the avalanche suspension. If you want something a bit lighter, cheaper and supper stiff, you could go with the new 888. Seriously, if the DHF would be two pounds lighter, the thing would be everywhere!
I always get the loose weight thing, I cant use the term Body Building cause its "gay" I have been lifting for years my waist is a 34 , 12% BF I am into powerlifting as my other hobby.. So the weight isnt a issue cause I am bulking right now cause I do a Bench Competition at my local gym every year in January so I will get to like 245-250lb and then cut done to like 225 - 230lb for the summer..

I mean going with the new 888 WC is $1500, I talked to Craig today awesome guy and he suggested the DHF 7.0 dual damp with 1/2 caps for the Blindside he said it would be perfect for the type of riding I will be doing, yeah its 9lb fork but at 240lb does it matter, I rather have something that is bulletproof over something that is a bit lighter. Transition recommends a 578 axle to crown for the BS which is 22 3/4 inches with the DHF 7.0 and the 1/2 caps i would be at right around 22 inches which would be perfect. Going with the 8.0 I would be over 23 inches axle to crown a bit to high for me. Plus for $1495 I will take the DHF 7.0 and I know it will take all I can throw at it.

ZUMBI

Chimp
Mar 22, 2007
Myslenice, Poland
I love my avalanche setup.Woodie with ind hi/low comp adjuster in the back and dhf7 in the front.I got mine set totally for racing so they are fast and sensitive.Just perfect!