Quantcast

Avalanche users!!

dave.g75

Chimp
Apr 19, 2004
Just purchased a DHS for my Giant, but as I know Craig can only supply two spring rates was wondering if I might have to purchase one more suitable once my shock arrives. I weigh 175 pounds, was just wondering what rates you run for your weights?? Also I heard that Romic springs fit, and being based in the UK they are a lot easier to get hold of is this true? Finally Im also looking into getting a Ti spring once I finally get the spring rate I want dialled would you only recommend getting the one that avalanche sell, or would the soon to be released romic ones be a better bet (assuming they fit).
Cheers for any help
Dave

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Originally posted by dave.g75
Just purchased a DHS for my Giant, but as I know Craig can only supply two spring rates was wondering if I might have to purchase one more suitable once my shock arrives. I weigh 175 pounds, was just wondering what rates you run for your weights?? Also I heard that Romic springs fit, and being based in the UK they are a lot easier to get hold of is this true? Finally Im also looking into getting a Ti spring once I finally get the spring rate I want dialled would you only recommend getting the one that avalanche sell, or would the soon to be released romic ones be a better bet (assuming they fit).
Cheers for any help
Dave

you weigh pretty close to what i weigh so i would say you can use a 450lbs spring on a giant with an avy, go for the 9"/3" its a sweeeeet setup

dave.g75

Chimp
Apr 19, 2004
yeh he has already dialled it in for my weight, but was just wondering if the spring would be suitable. Its a 9" i to i by 2.75. I asked Craig about the 3" stroke when I ordered it but he said he couldnt recommend it as he wasnt sure itd fit. How does ur 3" stroke ride, im a bit gutted that i didnt order it now I know it fits alright. Yehim imagining itd be a 450lbs spring he would supply but just heard that most people run an avy with a lower spring rate than normal. What about the Ti spring guys??
Cheers for the help so far
Dave

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
yeh he has already dialled it in for my weight, but was just wondering if the spring would be suitable. Its a 9" i to i by 2.75. I asked Craig about the 3" stroke when I ordered it but he said he couldnt recommend it as he wasnt sure itd fit. How does ur 3" stroke ride, im a bit gutted that i didnt order it now I know it fits alright. Yehim imagining itd be a 450lbs spring he would supply but just heard that most people run an avy with a lower spring rate than normal. What about the Ti spring guys??
Cheers for the help so far
Dave

dave

the 9/3 will fit, im positively sure because i have fitted a similar jefe onto a natl team guys bike and we ran all kinds of tests.
a lot of guys down here were running 8,75/2,75" fox RC`s on their giants when the selfdestructing prodeluxe thing happened, if you do the math youll see that the fox bottoms out at 6" i2i same as the 9/3 so its safe to do that. i remember it was necessary to switch out the preload collar on the fox for the stock RS for some reason, but whatever reason that was, limiting the travel on the avy wont help. i dont ride a giant but i tested one with the jefe and a 500 and found it a tad oversprung, 450 was spot on.

the only thing you would have to mind is the clearance between the links, i dont know the diameter of those avy springs, the jefe ones clear barely so give that a check.

dave.g75

Chimp
Apr 19, 2004
Jefe, is that a stratos shock???? I already know that the avalanche will fit. Didnt running an 8.75 x 2.75 ruin the giants angles a bit since it was designed to run with a 9 x 2.75. Does anyone have any info on the new Romic Ti springs like prices or expected availability, in the US or preferably the UK.
Cheers
Dave

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Jefe, is that a stratos shock???? I already know that the avalanche will fit. Didnt running an 8.75 x 2.75 ruin the giants angles a bit since it was designed to run with a 9 x 2.75. Does anyone have any info on the new Romic Ti springs like prices or expected availability, in the US or preferably the UK.
Cheers
Dave
wel it choppered the bikes out slightly but no biggie, no idea about the romic springs though.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Finally Im also looking into getting a Ti spring once I finally get the spring rate I want dialled would you only recommend getting the one that avalanche sell, or would the soon to be released romic ones be a better bet (assuming they fit).
Cheers for any help
Dave
I think they both use RCS Springs, so I would get whichever one is available in your needed rate, and or is cheaper