• one year

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • one month

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
Depending on the summer (wet) I can run about a set of pads per month. Roters I have never had to change. I moved through pads pretty quick with my Code's. Nothing crazy, but like I said often enough.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I got a season out of my saint stock pads, but I don't ride crazy often. Say one or two days every other weekend. Rotors look fine, alligator sawblades.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Depends on the brand. I've never had avid pads last more than a few months, that goes for Codes and various rotor sizes of BB7s, no significant experience with juicys with pad life. Avid always seems to make ultra-grippy pads, but poor life seems to always be the case. Shimano and hope pads seem to last me much longer.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I can squeeze a season out of pads. I don't put my downhill bike on the hill enough to require more than that. (codes) My xc bike on the other hand gets alot of use, usually atleast 4 days a week in the summer, but those pads also last a season too. (juicys)

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
My Juicy Ultimate pads lasted like 8 months and since Sea Otter they survived Whistler, Euro DH Champs, and SC shreddin

Magura Marta SL 8"/7" rotors, 4 months old

It has a lot to do with how/where/what you ride

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
My stock Code pads lasted 6 days of moderate DH riding in Morzine/Chatel. That applies to the front, with the rear dying 2 days later. I've been truly disappointed as my previous pads on other brakes always lasted much longer. I changed them for BBB golden and blue pads, those seem to last a bit longer.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I burn through a set of Gustav pads in about a month. That's riding 4 days a week, and I am 220lbs.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Depends on the brake. I get a lot of life out of Shimano pads. Formula and Avid pads it seems like I'm replacing all the time. 1-2 months of fairly regular riding. I usually get about 6 months out of Saint pads.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Fastest time i burn through a set of pads was after 6 runs on alligator windcutters with my Formula The one brakes with swiss stop pads.Everage i do 3 month's with swiss stop pads.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There's a lot of factors that go into pad wear:

-how often you ride
-how often you brake / how much you use your brakes
-what kind of conditions (wet/dry/hot etc)
-brake compound

That being said, I was running metallic compound shimano pads on first gen saints, riding on the wet muddy east coast, and I brake a fair amount (I don't drag my brakes, but I can't count on one hand how many times I use them in a run) and was able to get a whole season out of them riding 2 days a week 3-4 weekends a month from may to late october.

I tried a pair of the other shimano compound (sintered I think? maybe they call it organic? idk. either way its the non-metallic ones) and I got maybe 2 1/2 months out of them under similar conditions. However, they did perform better.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
For myself, rotor life is highly dependent on your terrain. Plattekill's flying shale tends to end rotor life for myself more than wear, for example.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I like to think I ride fairly often, though not downhill as often as I would like, and brake pads seem to last me a long time, at least a full season, if not longer.

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
I got about 3 months a set out of my Code pads.
I'm on the new Saint brakes now and got roughly 9 months out of the front pads,the rear pads are still going,they're about 11 months old.
And I typically ride once a week,all day long,all year.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Wet weather my brakes only lasted 4 months or so.

With mostly dry riding, I can get a year + out of mine.

I usually ride about 5 times a week (when I am not broken).

Jucy 5's on my 5 inch bike have now lasted 3 season (2 seasons racing).

mtbrider106

Monkey
May 23, 2009
auburn
There's a lot of factors that go into pad wear:

-how often you ride
-how often you brake / how much you use your brakes
-what kind of conditions (wet/dry/hot etc)
-brake compound

That being said, I was running metallic compound shimano pads on first gen saints, riding on the wet muddy east coast, and I brake a fair amount (I don't drag my brakes, but I can't count on one hand how many times I use them in a run) and was able to get a whole season out of them riding 2 days a week 3-4 weekends a month from may to late october.

I tried a pair of the other shimano compound (sintered I think? maybe they call it organic? idk. either way its the non-metallic ones) and I got maybe 2 1/2 months out of them under similar conditions. However, they did perform better.
i should have been more specific about the climate and the style of riding and the amount of riding you do i ride every day any where from 10 to 35 miles on my xc or dh bike. i had codes last me 2 months riding in the pnw and as you know it rains 9 months out the year here so that has a big deciding factor towards pad life. how much do you guys spend a year on pads and or rotors?