Quantcast

avid code or code 5 question?

mtbrider106

Monkey
May 23, 2009
auburn
i tried to change my pads on my 2008 codes and the bolt holding the pads in stripped,has any one else had this problem and what did you do to fix it?

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
i tried to change my pads on my 2008 codes and the bolt holding the pads in stripped,has any one else had this problem and what did you do to fix it?
I encountered the same problem on that 2.5mm hex bolt. I think there was a bad run of them at the factory.

I used a dremel and made a slit in the top of the bolt then used a flat blade screwdriver to unscrew it. This has held up fine.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
grab the head of the bolt with some pliers or small vice grips and gently turn see if you can break the threads until it is finger loose.

djivotno

Monkey
Oct 3, 2008
Pretty much every Code owner i know (me incl. back when i had those cr*ppy brakes) has this issue, and have solved - removing the bolt by hamering in a Torx key and after the bolt is gone they use a bend cable or a split pin to hold the pads.

When my codes did this i got a pair of Formula K24 - the best solution up to date :)

mtbrider106

Monkey
May 23, 2009
auburn
well i love my codes! i used a drill bit 5/64 and a easy out that size. you can find them at ace hard ware. so ill explain the method. and easy out turns left so you drill a hole in the bolt head and tap the easy out in the hole you drilled ( as straight as possible) and turn it left with a set of vice grips and they will come right out. and then you use a cotter pin to hold them just like shimano brakes. the only complaint about my codes and the pot metal levers that do do good with trees.