Quantcast

avid codes

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
i've been reading alot of posts saying that the codes are avid's real DH brakes and that juicy7s arnt. any reasons why other than brake fade? i'm still planning on using juicy7s just if theres some critical problem whcih i dont think exists it'd be nice to know

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
awsome i guess i might have to talk to qbp soon then and see when they are planning on getting them. hey atleast avid acctually has there 07 stuff on there website and we can expect the stuff before christmas.:biggrin:

originally posted by jcook90
any reasons why other than brake fade? i'm still planning on using juicy7s just if theres some critical problem whcih i dont think exists it'd be nice to know
avid has never said that the juicy 7's were for dh use. the reason i would assume that the codes are considered real dh brakes is that they have more power, same modulation as the juicy line, and well of course less brake fade and all of this is due to the 4 pot design i am assuming.

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
^like i said, i talked to quality (QBP) this evening and they said it would be between a few weeks from now and mid-november

of the big three suppliers, hawley seemed the most enthusiastic about getting them somewhat soon....

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
banchee man said:
forgive me if i ask who are the three big supliers and who do they supply to?
QBP is the biggest, BTI is number two, and I would hazard a guess that KHS is number three (not Hawley). These are the wholesale distributors that only sell directly to bike shops. The general public can't order from these companies.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
QBP? BTI? ftw? forgive me for sounding like an idiot what do these mean, did i miss the memo?
they are companies. They each have a catalouge in 99 percent of bike stores. They are bike shops main 2 suppliers for medium-high end goods, i.e. suspension products, 8-9 spd drivetrain systems, high end wheels etc. They usually arent the best prices for lower end stuff like generic seatposts/handlebars, cheapo derailleurs, 50 dollar wheels, etc. qbp= quality bicycle products, bti=bicycle technology international?? not sure. Google them.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
originally posted by ridefast
^like i said, i talked to quality (QBP) this evening and they said it would be between a few weeks from now and mid-november
yeh sorry missed that post when i posted. although i find it hard to believe that a distributor like hawley is gonna get a set of codes before bti or qbp ???????? ohh well i dont work for them so i dont care who gets them first as long as i can get them soon.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Qbp will have them first for sure. They are the 'official distributor' for the sram brands. They implement any employee purchaces programs for sram as well. They had the new x-9 stuff first and are still the only guys with new R.S.

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
hey no need to bust my balls or anything, im just trying to help out and let everyone know when distributors are expecting the product

general public can't order from these companies.
true, but you can order from your lbs

Since when is Hawley on the list of the "big three suppliers"?
ok ok, maybe 4 or 5....they are still up there though

jake133

Monkey
Jan 21, 2005
SLC, Utah
Transcend, do the codes sorta have that on off feel like the shimanos (imo) or do they modulate more? Is the power about the same?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Transcend, do the codes sorta have that on off feel like the shimanos (imo) or do they modulate more? Is the power about the same?
The ones I rode had modulation. It wasn't the same type of feeling as my saint's, but it certainly was far from on off. They felt solid, controllable and powerful. You didn't seem to get the same sort of "feedback" you get some shimanos for whatever reason. They felt a little vague. Hard to explain.

The levers themselves felt amazing. Nice shape, good fit, the avid mechanism for the lever is really cool and is much more ergonomic than any other brake on the market (literally). It doesn't simply pivot in due to how it is placed outboard of the pivot point. Absolutely no slop due to the 3 bearings they use at the pivot...no bushings in sight.

All in all, very cool brakes and i would highly recommend them as longa s all of the durability issues that brakes can see pan out.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
The Codes are sweet, I've been riding mine all weekend. Lever feel is really good, modulation is great, and the overall power is even better. I put mine on, cut the lines, rebled and got them dialed quickly and they were pretty solid right away. The new breakaway design is cool too, top notch brakes. QBP told me that I god their last set for the time being, they sold out really really fast.

InsideMan

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
On an Island
what does that red dial do? Does it soften up the lever for people with short fingers? Im in the market for some new DH brakes and these look to be the ticket.