Quantcast

Avid Elixer Brakes

Ringer

Monkey
Mar 4, 2008
Besides the PinkBike and BikeMag reviews, has anyone used these? Tried them? how do they compare to other juicy brakes? I see they have become available and im tempted

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I rode them for 2 days straight. They have a bit more modulation than my juicy carbons, and they pumped out much less under sustained braking. The full power point seemed about the same as my juicies.

The no tool reach and engagement adjustments were sweet, I have small hands and pretty much continuously played with them until I had it just right over the period of a day of riding.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Aren't they supposed to be more powerful than juicies? I was kinda hoping that they would be, and on paper they really should be given that they have bigger pistons. Could the pads be the culprit or were they the same as your juicies?

I'm also curious about weight, if someone has a weight for lever/caliper/hose assembly (no adaptor/rotor) I'd like to hear it.. to compare with sevens/ultimates/codes etc.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Aren't they supposed to be more powerful than juicies? I was kinda hoping that they would be, and on paper they really should be given that they have bigger pistons. Could the pads be the culprit or were they the same as your juicies?

I'm also curious about weight, if someone has a weight for lever/caliper/hose assembly (no adaptor/rotor) I'd like to hear it.. to compare with sevens/ultimates/codes etc.
One of the heavier riders in the group had 6" rotors and didn't know it, so they could very well be more powerful, I just didn't notice it at all at 145lbs on a nice light turner rfx (vs dh bike with juicies). I don't exactly require truck brakes, as I am a small guy.

The effective piston size at the lever is still 9.5mm, moving the same amount of fluid as a juicy, but the taperbore deal makes it have a bit more modulation. (Or at least says SRAM's lead brake engineer). You can mix and match juicy and elixir calipers and levers in fact.

I am honestly not sure what pads were in the brakes, I will assume the sintered compound. We were told the compounds are the same, but they have a different shape thus new pads.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yep that's sweet, my plan was to run ultimate levers on the elixir calipers if there's a significant weight saving - but I'll try the stock levers too.

If the caliper pistons are larger and the lever piston is still 9.5mm then yeah they really should be more powerful than juicies.

Oh and I just read the pinkbike article (here for anyone that missed it: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/2008AvidElixirCR.html), the elixir is 21g lighter than the juicy carbon - and the elixir didn't even have a carbon lever in that comparison. Looks like a winner to me so far, if there are no glaring issues once people have ridden them for a while.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Do they still have the crazy way of bleeding? and does no one else find they are just overdoing it with all this adjustment stuff???

Do you not think there is just more to go wrong and more to brake?? Just piss on all your bonfires...hehe

Just make it simple will last and work a lot longer! I think

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
They are available but will go fast. Qbp went from full stock(50+) on 185 rear to 0 in a day and a half and they have very few(<6) 203's f or r. I've got a set on order and hopefully they'll be in soon. As for weight, should be very light. If all the listed weights are correct with the carbon levers and additional ti hardware, should be 70 grams+ lighter per set than the juicy carbons.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
They are available but will go fast. Qbp went from full stock(50+) on 185 rear to 0 in a day and a half and they have very few(<6) 203's f or r. I've got a set on order and hopefully they'll be in soon. As for weight, should be very light. If all the listed weights are correct with the carbon levers and additional ti hardware, should be 70 grams+ lighter per set than the juicy carbons.
They come with stainless hardware, or? So you buy the ti hardware separate?

Does anybody know how much a carbon lever saves over an aluminum lever (at e.g. a normal Juicy)?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Damn, wish I would have known they were going to be available so soon after buying a new set of Juicys.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
They come with the standard hardware. I was going to get the ti bolts from HBC . No idea on the carbon lever weight savings (heard around 10g) but I'll post the weight of them soon, I learned the order was just placed so they should be in friday, monday at the latest.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
I just got my set a few minutes ago, when i go home I'll post some pics and a weight. hot damn, they look sexy!

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
did you get the cr's? If so did they come with the carbon levers or the alloy? I've been on the elixers c for the last couple months now and they are by far the best brakes I've used. not very light but great power/feel/bite

Ringer

Monkey
Mar 4, 2008
got mine today. put them on and rode them (cr's) on my normal 14 mile AM ride. 203 rotors on my 34lb nomad and these things are rad. def stronger than my old 7's, but without the harsh initial bike. rad brakes.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
Front with out any mounting hardware 253g, rear 262g. Rotors 190g and 186g. Yeah they come with the carbon lever blades, just not the ti hardware like the juicy carbons, HBC here I come.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
JewBagel -
Just to clarify when you say without any mounting hardware, do you mean brake lever + brake lever clamp/bolts + hose + caliper all bled (but no adaptor / adaptor bolts / caliper bolts)? Pretty sure that's what you meant, just checking.

And what size rotors are those rotor weights for?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Do they still have the crazy way of bleeding? and does no one else find they are just overdoing it with all this adjustment stuff???

Do you not think there is just more to go wrong and more to brake?? Just piss on all your bonfires...hehe

Just make it simple will last and work a lot longer! I think
reach and engagement adjustments are essential if you're picky about how your brakes are set up. RR levers had both 8 years ago (more?), allowing you to set the position and throw of your brakes. every brake system should have it these days...

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
Yes, everything except the hardware to mount the caliper to the bike since some (myself included) buy Ti hardware. Rotor size is 203mm.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
JewBagel -
Just to clarify when you say without any mounting hardware, do you mean brake lever + brake lever clamp/bolts + hose + caliper all bled (but no adaptor / adaptor bolts / caliper bolts)? Pretty sure that's what you meant, just checking.

And what size rotors are those rotor weights for?

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
203 rotors on my 34lb nomad
Why on earth do you run 203 mm rotors on a NOMAD?!?!?! I run 6" on mine and its more than enough for the bike.8" are very heavy, especially if its on your trail bike no?

I run 180mm on my Demo 8 for the bike park and its enough but Im fairly light...

Last edited:

Ringer

Monkey
Mar 4, 2008
Why on earth do you run 203 mm rotors on a NOMAD?!?!?! I run 6" on mine and its more than enough for the bike.8" are very heavy, especially if its on your trail bike no?

I run 180mm on my Demo 8 for the bike park and its enough but Im fairly light...
how much weight diff is there between 6 and 8 inch? I still take the bike on 30 mile rides with over 5k feet of climbing, then shuttle with it as well, and in no way feel hindered by the weight gain over the 6inch k24's i ran previously. I feel safer with the 203's than the 6 inchers. I got the brakes for such a good deal i figured i might as well spring for the 8's.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
how much weight diff is there between 6 and 8 inch? I still take the bike on 30 mile rides with over 5k feet of climbing, then shuttle with it as well, and in no way feel hindered by the weight gain over the 6inch k24's i ran previously. I feel safer with the 203's than the 6 inchers. I got the brakes for such a good deal i figured i might as well spring for the 8's.
Well you'd be surprise...there's a quite a bit of weight diff between the 2...like a lot.

I dont see how having a bigger rotor makes your brakes safer , but I can see what you mean ,you cant pass on a good deal.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
Yeah, I was quite disappointed with that, they said the rotors were going to be lighter. They have 12 2" "spokes" which probably could have been reduced to 8 or 9 easily along with doing the same for the 12 little 3/4" spokes. They do look better IMO, the actual braking surface is more similar to the formula rotors with the shaped outer edge.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
going 8 to 6" on avid G2's is about 180 grams difference, add in the weight of the rotor adaptors and you get very close to a half pound difference of mostly rotational, and all unsprung weight. I do have a friend who is always lightly feathering his brakes so he runs larger rotors because he claims to feel brake fade with smaller rotors. He runs formula 220/200 on his 6" bike, just one of those odd cases I guess.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Larger rotors cool faster, helping to keep up brake performance on longer sustained braking sections. They also have better modulation. That said, they also get hung up on stuff a lot more, leading to funny bent rotor wobble.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Larger rotors cool faster, helping to keep up brake performance on longer sustained braking sections. They also have better modulation. That said, they also get hung up on stuff a lot more, leading to funny bent rotor wobble.

I cant recall exactly where but I'm pretty sure I remember reading something about this theory being false.

I think the article was basically saying this might not be "so" true or partially true...maybe someone here would remember , perhaps I just had a dream about all this as well:imstupid:

To me it makes a lot sense that a larger rotor would cool faster but I remember being shocked when I read it and Ive been running smaller rotors on my bikes ever since without any troubles

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Iit does cool faster, but on bicycles it doesn't make a huge difference unless you drag your brakes everywhere. Heat management is a big deal, SRAM even grooved the back of the piston in order to give it more surface area to cool.