Quantcast

avid flak jacket/disc break question

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
on the avid website it has a chart with the specs of each cable set they offer. in this chart there is a "disc break length" column. i am assuming this column indicates if the particular cable-set comes with enough cable to run full-housing front to rear. has anyone bought the flak jacket cable set and used it to run full housing? if there is not enough housing to do so, how does one set up some avid disc breaks w/ flak jacket housing? what are some other options for compressionless break cable housing that come with enough cable to run full housing?

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Huh. I wasn't aware you had to order lengths, I always assumed it was a big length you cut down to size. Interesting. I'm running regular cables/housings now, but want to move to Gores or the Flak Jackets when I do my spring tune up.

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
i dont know. hehe my friend ordered my breaks for me and they just came in today. im pretty sure she just got the standard size, whatever the 2001's were (six inch?) maybe she got the bigger ones im not sure...

so your using normal housing? they work well?

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by diesel
i dont know. hehe my friend ordered my breaks for me and they just came in today. im pretty sure she just got the standard size, whatever the 2001's were (six inch?) maybe she got the bigger ones im not sure...

so your using normal housing? they work well?

Yeah, I have been using regular cables and housings for a year now, I just make sure to keep them up. I'll be changing them this spring, and was thinking of goint to the FJ or the Gores, just to try.

But, I love the feel I get. I use Shimano XT integrated shifter/lever pods...I think the lever feel is great. I have the engagement perfectly set...my brakes have made a convert of one of my riding buddies who uses Hayes hydros for his new build.

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by edoz
I wouldn't worry too much, I got a set of Full Metal Jacket cables, and I got enough regular housing for three bikes!
hey i do NOT understand how the fmjs work. are the flexible? like metal links? or is it just a stright tube? if so wouldnt that mean you have this long metal tube thing jabbing up towards you as your front fork compresses? can someone post some pictures of thier full metal jackets all set up?

hey i do NOT understand how the fmjs work. are the flexible? like metal links? or is it just a stright tube? if so wouldnt that mean you have this long metal tube thing jabbing up towards you as your front fork compresses? can someone post some pictures of thier full metal jackets all set up?
They are stainless steel tubes that replace long runs of housing.
I hope the pics help.

They are stainless steel tubes that replace long runs of housing.
I hope the pics help.

Attachments

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
dude! you rule. heres my ? when your fork compresses doesnt that send that long metal tube jabbing upwards at you? just seems kind of annoying.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Just an update from my post about using regular cables/housings....my f'ing cable snapped on Sunday as I got ready to slam into a corner at mock 10!!!:eek: :eek: That was some scary $hit!! But, the beauty of Avids #2976549988: five minutes back at the truck, and i was good for the rest of the day!;)

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
There may not be enough housing to run full length to the rear brake unless you get the new disc brake version. That said, I had no problem using the standard brake version last year on a 19" frame.

I bought the FMJ set a few months back, and used the flak jacket housing with the FMJ tubes instead of the included housing, works great. The fmj tube doesn't really "jab" up at you...anyway you don't think about that when riding any more than with standard housing. It actually is great up front and really improves braking for mechanical brakes.