Quantcast

Avid Juicy 7's "Not DH Brakes"

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
With all the other Tards!!
I just wanted to know what you guys thought about this Statement. This add was in the new Decline about Avid's New CODE brakes. They said, "AVID will be the first to tell you the Juicy 7's are not DH brakes."

My first reaction was what?? AVID has been advertising this as a DH break for years. "Avid Juicy 7 DH Hydraulic Disc Brake". And all their DH racers are using them. If Juicy's aren’t DH brakes then what are Hayes Mags Light XC???

Most is prob. Marketing for the New CODE, what do you think.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
They arne't DH brakes. They just use DH sized rotors. THey were never built with the intention of being a DH specific brake, like the Hope M6 or Magura Gustav. Its not marketing crap, its the truth.

Stench

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
Hawaii
Damn, been using Juicy 5's for two years now on a 2 hour DH ride. They work great. Can't imagine what a DH brake actually feels like.

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Just thought it was funny because every SRAM DH racer. Rides Juicy 7 carbons.

The CODE with 27% more stopping power is going to be crazy can't wait.

I also heard Sam Hill has been using the CODE'S for a little while. He said he had to put 6inch rotors on his bike because the 8inch rotors were putting him over the bars.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
just because something isn't marketed for or designed for DH doesn't mean it can't be used for DH. I use profile cranks. just stopped using bmx pedals last year when i got azonic a frames (arguably bmx inspired, like all flat pedals). i've used bmx grips on and off. Only reason i don't have them on right now is cuz i can't find any more sets of Animal Delarosa grips (haven't been actively looking either, just local shops ie the one i worked at). i use only xc or bmx racing saddles. i have a road seatpost, road cassette, and road rear derailler on my dh bike. i use motocross oil in my fork/shock.

just because the juicy 7's weren't marketed as dh brakes doesn't mean people won't use them as such. I know plenty of people that DH them with zero problems. Several of them are large, 200+ lb dudez.

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
I run juicy 7's and I really don't know how the codes could be that much better... maybe more modulation but then again I only weigh like 130

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
for bleeding the new codes will it be the same as juicy 7? and how exactly did they make the brakes let go if your about to fall? This is something i don't understand and was also writen in the new decline

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
dropmachine.com said:
I tried the Cores, and they are nice. Much more grab then the Juicy's, although the juicy's are pretty goddam wonderful themselves.
With the organic pads I didn't find the CODE's to be as grabby as my Juicy's with 203 rotors. Not saying they lacked power – just not as grabby in the initial phase of the engagement.

Zmtber: yes the bleeding process will be the same as the Juicy’s. you can bleed them from either bleed port on the caliper (there’s two bleed ports on the CODES). The lever what breaks away..it features a two-piece blade with a spring loaded cam breakaway. That means if you crash or snag the lever on something – it will disconnect from the guts and prevent damage. It should come back by itself – if it doesn’t, just pop it back and keep riding!

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
oh! so it doesn't stop the braking force before you fall by going over your bars it just protects the brake lever?

avalanche165

Monkey
Aug 15, 2006
ive been running the bb7's, mechanical disc on my bike all season, strictly downhill and fookin love it. and from what i hear the juicy sevens are a level better. if it aint broke...

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i was seriose, when i read the brakes let go when you are about to fall i though the brakes stop putting braking force on your bike if the sense your about to go over your bars, but obviously i was mistaken

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
zmtber said:
i was seriose, when i read the brakes let go when you are about to fall i though the brakes stop putting braking force on your bike if the sense your about to go over your bars, but obviously i was mistaken
do they have common sense classes at zylvan?

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
hey when I heard about it I knew it was a far out thing, but I was amazed in the chance that this could be possible so i asked for clerification, when you told me otherwise i knew i was mistaken, but hey that would be cool if the did have something like that you no something like anti-lock brakes

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
That would be no fun if they had that Tech. I love watching people grab a handful of front brake and go over the bars.

Hey what are the other Avid's coming out??? I can't remember the Name, They are lighter then the Juicy's and are Red/Black. I swear I saw them as DH race specific, (I could be wrong thou)

And I'm def. with you guys I don't care what they call them, they are still going to be on my DH Race Rig.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
I wish they would have told us this when they were sponsoring out "DH" race team???
This does explain the fading issues I had with them though. They are awesome on my trail/XC bike but my rotors are black on my DH bike. They disappear on runs that require extended braking.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
OK, i have a few questions about the Codes (given we've gotta run Avids this year). I've had Juicy 7s before and they were sweet, although i did have a problem when the caliper locked up (the pistons had seized... it was sorted out, but not exactly confidence inspiring). Anyway, I've heard that the Codes aren't all they're cracked up to be and that we'd be better off running 7 Carbons for DH. Anyone got any feedback, because i'm sure we'd feel like geese if we missed out on some decent brakes...

Also, the trick setup seems to be ultimate levers with code calipers- will this model actually be released or is it a blackbox only setup?

Finally, (this ties in with the post above...) is anyone actually going to stop us using Ultimates with bigger rotors (say 203/185 as opposed to the standard 185/165), or is there something in the caliper that just won't hold up (i'm thinking smaller bladders, maybe an alloy thats prone to heating faster...)?

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
trailhacker said:
I wish they would have told us this when they were sponsoring out "DH" race team???
This does explain the fading issues I had with them though. They are awesome on my trail/XC bike but my rotors are black on my DH bike. They disappear on runs that require extended braking.
Juicies do NOT like being dragged, as I have discovered. They're fine if you're lightweight and/or only use them as either hard braking or not at all. As soon as you're on them for 10+ seconds without backing off at all, they're dead.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Daver said:
Also, the trick setup seems to be ultimate levers with code calipers- will this model actually be released or is it a blackbox only setup?
word from avid is that they are all compatible.

LokiLopez

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
London
thaflyinfatman said:
Juicies do NOT like being dragged, as I have discovered. They're fine if you're lightweight and/or only use them as either hard braking or not at all. As soon as you're on them for 10+ seconds without backing off at all, they're dead.
Hmmm.. That makes sense now. I run a 185mm rotor on the back, and on long runs(+10min) half way through they start fading(fast). The rotors get really dark and the pads glassy.
Still, I have no problems with the front, 203mm, rotor/brake.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
the trick setup seems to be ultimate levers with code calipers- will this model actually be released or is it a blackbox only setup?
i'm sure you can do it. the only up side to using the ultimate lever with a code caliper is the weight savings. You won't have as much dot fluid so it might cause it to heat up a bit faster than if you use the code lever, but I'm not 100% on that.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
LokiLopez said:
Hmmm.. That makes sense now. I run a 185mm rotor on the back, and on long runs(+10min) half way through they start fading(fast). The rotors get really dark and the pads glassy.
Still, I have no problems with the front, 203mm, rotor/brake.

Alright I'll go into a bit of detail with my experiences as well as what I've kind of found out by cross-examination of other riders.

Basically, hard braking helps scrape the top layer off your pads and rotor, which helps keep the braking surfaces consistent. There are a lot of heat-related mechanics (eg thermal adhesion causing friction as well as simple mechanical/shear friction) are related to this but I won't go into them much. Smaller rotors have a smaller area to absorb and dissipate the heat, and due to the fact that you can't brake as hard with the rear brake (traction issues) and the fact that it's much easier to drag the back brake (since if your back wheel skids, who cares, but if your front wheel does, it's time to pick yourself up off the ground), they generate a lot more heat and wear without being able to properly clean themselves. This theory seems consistent with the fact that most rear brake rotors I see are less clean than the front ones (because front brakes typically see harder, more on/off braking than their rear counterparts) and usually have less grab/ultimate power (though keeping in mind that less is actually necessary). If you're having fade issues, I'd personally recommend using a larger rear rotor, and trying to eliminate brake dragging. It's hard to do (I'm still working on it myself - sometimes it seems like you need brakes just to take the edge off the speed, but I reckon in actual fact you can usually get away without it) but the end result is that your brakes don't fade or glaze over anywhere near as easily.

Rotors getting dark is a sign of too much prolonged braking without enough actual clamping force to clean them, and glassy pads is a sure sign of overheated brakes. Personally I am of the opinion that Avid rotors are pretty crap too, maybe try some Shimanos as they have a lot more cross-drilling. For the record, Hayes rotors are pretty ****, and they don't wear out dead flat either! You get a kind of concave wear pattern with those.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
so Hayes came out with the El Camino to pip Avid's Juicy 7's adjustable popularity and modulation. They put them on their DH riders bikes first thing...then issued stuff later saying "not intended for DH racing".

Now Avid comes out with the Code and the Juicy 7 has been their DH staple for 3+ seasons...now suddenly it's not a DH brake.

.......and people wonder why bikers are weird.:think:

I personally love the brute stopping power of Hayes Mags and their take a BEATING in crashes. My Juicy 7's are holding up but my teammate and I both popped out our pads this weekend to find raw metal, no pad.(on rear brake only). In fairness to the 7's the feel, pull and lack of forearm fatigue using them is a huge plus. I know the Demo 8 is coming speced with them again this year and 'll have no problems running them.

I'm sure the Code's will be a good brake...but what's the price? What's the feel like and how do the pads wear over time? Those are the keys for me. Funny thing is...nobody's mentioned weight difference between the 7's and the Codes and Hayes Mags. Acadian?