Quantcast

Avid Juicy 7's pulsing

SMF

Chimp
Mar 30, 2003
Socal
I was wondering if anyone else experienced this. I have Avid Juicy 7's with 6" rotors(round) on my trail bike(Blur.)
I've been riding it regularily for the last two months. I was told when I bought it that the Juicy's would pulse a little until they were broken in. Well, it's been two months and the brakes still pulse when I apply pressure. Am I just being impatient, or is something else going on.

I plan on taking the bike in to my LBS for diagnosis, but any other help would be appreciated.

Thx

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
my juicy 5s do this too and another bike I rode this past weekend w/juicy 7s did it also. I've pretty much gotten used to it but I think I read somewhere else on here that you can switch to plain hayes rotors and it stops doing it. I guess it has something to do with the wavy rotors or so I heard. I'm not sure how switching to hayes rotors effects braking power though.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I was annoyed with my juicy rotors and happened to have a new set of shimano laying around. I swapped them out and the problem went away. Someone told me that after a little while the Avid rotors smooth out but I didn't want to wait and already had the shimanos.

SMF

Chimp
Mar 30, 2003
Socal
Like I said, I am running the round Avid rotors. So the whole wavy rotor thing doesn't apply.

But I have noticed that the pulsating is greatly reduced the faster I'm going. The pulsating is most noticable at the beginning of my ride and at slow speed. Maybe I should try swapping in some Hayes or shimano rotors.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
My shop told me they had some problem rotors and that they have a bunch of replacement rotors for waranteeing just such a thing. I have a new bike with Juicy 7 and the front 8 inch does this. Kind of like it sticks in one spot. I mostly notice it when I'm dragging the brakes down the road back to the car with dog in tow. I had some Shimano's do this too and I was given new rotors which didn't do it. I think you should take it to the shop and get them to look at it.

slo

Chimp
Jul 26, 2005
australia
is it a kindof shuddering?? maybe your disc is out of line with the pads, ive had this issue with my juicy fives

Ventanarama

Chimp
Aug 2, 2002
Fort Collins, CO
SMF said:
Like I said, I am running the round Avid rotors. So the whole wavy rotor thing doesn't apply.

But I have noticed that the pulsating is greatly reduced the faster I'm going. The pulsating is most noticable at the beginning of my ride and at slow speed. Maybe I should try swapping in some Hayes or shimano rotors.
Try some Galfer pads in them. I've found them to be far superior to the stock pads in terms of the stuttering issue.
Larry
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

SMF

Chimp
Mar 30, 2003
Socal
slo said:
is it a kindof shuddering?? maybe your disc is out of line with the pads, ive had this issue with my juicy fives
Yeah, that's exactly what it feels like. Shakes the hell out of the fork. You kind of have to see it to believe it. This sounds like the most likely problem. Thanks holmes.

nhmtb

Chimp
Dec 21, 2004
I have Juicy 7s and they do the same thing.
I have asked a wrench at the LBS, and he said to check everything for tightness...adapters, mounts, rotors. The only thing I haven't tightened or looked at are the Mavic hubs, maybe they are loose.

I have replaced the pads, cleaned the rotors with alcohol, and it always comes back. I do have th wavy rotors,though. Please let me know how you fix this annoying problem.
thanks

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
SMF said:
Yeah, that's exactly what it feels like. Shakes the hell out of the fork. You kind of have to see it to believe it. This sounds like the most likely problem. Thanks holmes.
You have have a serious problem if your fork is getting shaken to hell. Make sure your headset is tight, calipers, disks, everything.

SMF

Chimp
Mar 30, 2003
Socal
Is this the wavy rotor problem? I'm pretty sure that's what you're talking about. I specifically bought round rotors to avoid that problem. This is bumming me out. Although, I can't ride for a while. So I guess that leaves me with time to figure out a fix. I'll be sure to post a solution, that is if I find one.

Isitinya

Chimp
Aug 18, 2005
SoCal
I have the same problem with my 7's. The back is smooothhhh but the front pulses when I brake I have checked everything for tightness and it's all good. I have had the brakes for two months and I am hoping that it will subside with time.

nhmtb

Chimp
Dec 21, 2004
I contacted SRAM about this, and they told me to have my shop call them.
So I just forwarded the email from SRAM to the shop, and they arranged for replacement rotors and pads under warranty from Avid.
The problem seems to be gone. Also I did notice that the new rotors are not cut at a 45 degree angle on top of the waves anymore, they are flat.