'Avoid wearing of Uniform' TX General Warns Troops

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Roddy Stinson: 'Avoid wearing of uniform' general warns local soldiers

Web Posted : 04/13/2003 12:00 AM

"If possible, avoid wearing of the uniform when dining in public places."

— From a "Protective Measures Awareness" notice sent to San Antonio's U.S. Army personnel by Maj. Gen. Darrel R. Porr on Friday

April 11, 2003, will be remembered as one of the saddest dates in Alamo City history.

Because of recent instances of harassment of uniformed personnel, Porr, the commanding general at Fort Sam Houston, felt compelled to warn the men and women who serve under him to use caution when traveling, shopping and dining in San Antonio.

"Two separate incidents against military personnel have occurred," Porr reported. "In the first incident, two males on the city's Northeast Side made threatening gestures and pounded on the car window of a drill sergeant and his spouse while they were on their way home.

"The second incident involved two sailors, in uniform, who were accosted by several males who said, 'You'd better not go to war,' as they departed a River Walk restaurant."

Porr provided this possible explanation for the hostile actions:

"There has been a significant increase of demonstrations throughout the United States in opposition to the ongoing U.S.-led military operations in Iraq.

"As individuals voice their opinions against military operations, they tend to direct their frustrations toward governmental and military symbols."

READ MORE

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Young jerks cruising to pick fights with military guys isn’t anything new.
This story is an op-ed piece complete with such gems as: “ Add to that palpable hush the rants of the town's Saddam Hussein apologists, and "Military City USA" can easily degenerate into a South Texas backwater, where men and women in uniform can't safely wear their uniforms in public. "Sad" hardly describes such a miserable state of affairs”

I grew up in a military town those two incidents sounds like any Friday night. The suggestion that the morons are motivated by anything more than Jack Daniels and testosterone makes good copy, and floods the letters to the editor which is the goal.
Isn’t San Antonio already a south Texas backwater? :devil:

MarinR00

Monkey
Aug 27, 2007
Iraq
I actually did an experiment and wore my uniform on a drive from Fort Benning, Georgia to my home in NY. And then from NY to Fort Lewis, Washington and watched how people responded to me.

The best was in the south, where I couldn’t buy my own meal. I had people coming up to me to thank me. The worst was the North-east, where for instance, a Mom pulled her children off the sidewalk I was walking as I walked towards them.

The weird part was… it was in Gettysburg!

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I actually did an experiment and wore my uniform on a drive from Fort Benning, Georgia to my home in NY. And then from NY to Fort Lewis, Washington and watched how people responded to me.

The best was in the south, where I couldn’t buy my own meal. I had people coming up to me to thank me. The worst was the North-east, where for instance, a Mom pulled her children off the sidewalk I was walking as I walked towards them.

Here in the south we stand for freedom!! We appreciate your dedication.

Those idiots are brainwashed that fret at you.Don't pay any attention to them.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Roddy Stinson: 'Avoid wearing of uniform' general warns local soldiers

Web Posted : 04/13/2003 12:00 AM

"If possible, avoid wearing of the uniform when dining in public places."

— From a "Protective Measures Awareness" notice sent to San Antonio's U.S. Army personnel by Maj. Gen. Darrel R. Porr on Friday

April 11, 2003, will be remembered as one of the saddest dates in Alamo City history.

Because of recent instances of harassment of uniformed personnel, Porr, the commanding general at Fort Sam Houston, felt compelled to warn the men and women who serve under him to use caution when traveling, shopping and dining in San Antonio.

"Two separate incidents against military personnel have occurred," Porr reported. "In the first incident, two males on the city's Northeast Side made threatening gestures and pounded on the car window of a drill sergeant and his spouse while they were on their way home.
The title "Drill Sergeant" explains a lot....probably his ex-recruits.

"The second incident involved two sailors, in uniform, who were accosted by several males who said, 'You'd better not go to war,' as they departed a River Walk restaurant."
Marines?

This is a troll. Someone could just as easily post a couple of incidents of military personnel commiting suicide and claim the fights are due to an increased level of mental illness in the military due to lax receuiting standards, or even guilt from having gone to war....

US Army suicides at 26-year high - Guilty US Troops Killing Themselves

MarinR00

Monkey
Aug 27, 2007
Iraq
It is always worrisome to me, that the only contact most people have with the military is through the media. The biggest shock to me on my first deployment was how different it is over here than I saw on TV (and I was IN the Army!!) I would be VERY careful about what anyone reads, even if they “claim” to know the truth.

Concurrent to that, I always find it humorous, amusing (and sometimes shocking) to watch these shows and read articles with such titles as “Voices from the Frontline,” “The Real Story” etc, etc. Because they never really can get it right.

The biggest problem I’ve seen is that when any article is written about the military (to include the wars) people jump on it, like it happens to all of us. This is not the case. An isolated story is the same in the military as it is in the civilian world. If there is a murder in Newark, do I think that everyone in Jersey is going to get murdered or living in danger? No.

I just caution people to be careful what they read. Also take it with a grain of salt and look at the source and if there is a spin.

(And maybe Jersey was a bad example! :brows: )

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus

coming from the marines, i always thought it strange that the army allows you guys to wear your fatigues out in town. we were barely allowed to stop for gas on our way home if we were still in uniform. just an image thing i guess. if we were out in public we had to be in semi-dressy attire. one thing i DON'T miss about being stationed in a military town (jax, nc) was the inability to walk down the street with my shirt untucked and not have some staff nco yell, "tuck in your shirt devildog!" out the window :rolleyes: ;)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
During Fleet Week in Portland, wearing a Navy dress white uniform is a sure fire way to get you laid. I have never seen a US town treat sailors as well as they do here.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I don't remember hearing about this...and I haven't seen a change in the amount of military people in uniform. I also live right next to Ft. Sam.

MarinR00

Monkey
Aug 27, 2007
Iraq
I think it’s important for the American people to see us in uniform. There was already a growing gap between the military and civilian world that is only being exasperated by the war.

DHFreak

Chimp
May 27, 2006
coming from the marines, i always thought it strange that the army allows you guys to wear your fatigues out in town. we were barely allowed to stop for gas on our way home if we were still in uniform. just an image thing i guess. if we were out in public we had to be in semi-dressy attire. one thing i DON'T miss about being stationed in a military town (jax, nc) was the inability to walk down the street with my shirt untucked and not have some staff nco yell, "tuck in your shirt devildog!" out the window :rolleyes: ;)
Yeah, well, you are not supposed to wear your fatigues or BDUs or ACUs whatever you want to call them, into and around public places just for the hell of it. You can stop on your way home form work and pick up a few things at the store but, as far as traveling across the country goes, that is a no no.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, well, you are not supposed to wear your fatigues or BDUs or ACUs whatever you want to call them, into and around public places just for the hell of it. You can stop on your way home form work and pick up a few things at the store but, as far as traveling across the country goes, that is a no no.
so the army ISN'T supposed to wear them except for to/from work? man, the units near where i was stationed in OC and San Diego wore their bdu's to eat, to the mall...everywhere. and they were usually a mess, not ironed...boots not shined. i think it was probably a reserved unit but i never really wanted to ask.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
so the army ISN'T supposed to wear them except for to/from work? man, the units near where i was stationed in OC and San Diego wore their bdu's to eat, to the mall...everywhere. and they were usually a mess, not ironed...boots not shined. i think it was probably a reserved unit but i never really wanted to ask.
We wore our BDU's EVERYWHERE. One of the nice features of the ACU boots is the lack of upkeep, no shine needed.

My stuff was always pressed and shined though. That's just how I roll.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Here in the south we stand for freedom!!
Unless it's freedom to, say:
- have a loving, consensual relationship with an adult of the same sex
- believe in evolution
- get an abortion
- believe in a god other than jesus, or no god at all
- be black, latin or arab without persecution
- not get shot for accidentally knocking on the wrong door

other than that, yeah, the south totally stands for freedom.

(now if that doesn't start a flame war, I give up)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Unless it's freedom to, say:
- have a loving, consensual relationship with an adult of the same sex
- believe in evolution
- get an abortion
- believe in a god other than jesus, or no god at all
- be black, latin or arab without persecution
- not get shot for accidentally knocking on the wrong door

other than that, yeah, the south totally stands for freedom.

(now if that doesn't start a flame war, I give up)

Welcome to the South: The Anti San Francisco!

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Welcome to the South: The Anti San Francisco!
San Francisco loves freedom too, unless it's the freedom to:
- drive a hummer
- smoke tobacco
- have any reasonable recourse as a landlord
- drive a hummer
- own a firearm
- beat your child
- drive a hummer

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
oh man...i couldn't do it. i LOVE my freedom to own "a" firearm :D

that way we know that the all the restrictive yankees and granolas can never successfully invade our happy little land.