Quantcast

Avy Ctg in Boxxer Question

Uruk-hai

Monkey
Oct 13, 2004
The 'Quah
I have a 2007 Stab that I plan on upgrading the suspension for this year. I currently have a 2003 Boxxer Race. It looks like Avalanche offers their cartridge upgrade for forks from that era.

My questions are:

-Will this upgrade drastically improve the action of my current fork?
-Would I be better off purchasing a current (2010 or 2011) Boxxer and then installing the Avalanche upgrade?

In other words, will the modification of a 2003 fork bring it up to current performance standards or will a 2010-11 fork with the Avy mod be head-and-shoulders above the 2003 fork with the Avy mod?

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I have a 2008 Boxxer WC, and I too am considering the Avy upgrade. Of course, the idea of buying a newer generation 2010 or 2011 chassis and then upgrading the damper has also occurred to me.

To answer your questions, I don't have personal experience, but I think that the Avy cartridge will drastically improve the ride of your Race. When you ask if you will be better off with a newer chassis, I think the answer is yes, mainly because the newer models will be stiffer and replacement parts will be more readily available. However, that's an extra 600-800 you will spend, assuming you get the RC or a 2010 Race. Will the ride be worth that extra 600-800 bucks? I'm not so sure. Yeah, there are times when I wish my Boxxer was a little stiffer, but I can't say that it's holding me back. All in all, I'm thinking that the newer chassis will be better cause it's stiffer, but not 700 bones better.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
2003 boxxers had crap damping. It would increase the performance by a TON but I'd change the chasis. A 7 year old boxxer is really a risky fork. Get a used 2010 race cheap and than buy avy.

Uruk-hai

Monkey
Oct 13, 2004
The 'Quah
I have a 2008 Boxxer WC, and I too am considering the Avy upgrade. Of course, the idea of buying a newer generation 2010 or 2011 chassis and then upgrading the damper has also occurred to me.

To answer your questions, I don't have personal experience, but I think that the Avy cartridge will drastically improve the ride of your Race. When you ask if you will be better off with a newer chassis, I think the answer is yes, mainly because the newer models will be stiffer and replacement parts will be more readily available. However, that's an extra 600-800 you will spend, assuming you get the RC or a 2010 Race. Will the ride be worth that extra 600-800 bucks? I'm not so sure. Yeah, there are times when I wish my Boxxer was a little stiffer, but I can't say that it's holding me back. All in all, I'm thinking that the newer chassis will be better cause it's stiffer, but not 700 bones better.
I'm of the exact same thought process...thanks for the input.

Uruk-hai

Monkey
Oct 13, 2004
The 'Quah
2003 boxxers had crap damping. It would increase the performance by a TON but I'd change the chasis. A 7 year old boxxer is really a risky fork. Get a used 2010 race cheap and than buy avy.
Thanks for the input.

What do you mean by "risky"? I've been the sole owner, it's been rebuilt a couple of times, and is in pretty good shape considering it's age.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Thanks for the input.

What do you mean by "risky"? I've been the sole owner, it's been rebuilt a couple of times, and is in pretty good shape considering it's age.
They were not really strong forks, it is quite old. I'm not speaking about the internals but about the fork body itself.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i'll turd the suggestion to buy a new chassis. you get stiffer legs, lower weight, integrated stemz, lower stack height, post mount disk, maxle...

besides, I'm not 100% sure the cartridge will fit 03 forks. I thought it was for 05/6-09, and 10+ year forks.

Regardless, the race never had great damping, so I would imagine it would be a significant upgrade.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you may also want to consider picking up a 2010 team...i would bet the damping quality is enough of a jump that you could ride that for a few years, be very happy, then buy an avy cart when it gets tired. Just a thought, might save you a few bucks.

I have a 2010 team and am pretty pleased with it. There are some things I wish it would do better, but it's not holding me back.