Quantcast

Avy guys

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I am in search of a new fork. I have ridden an 888 for the last 3 years... 04, 05, and 06. The 06 felt the best of all three years.

How does the 888 compare to an Avalanche single and/or dual dampner?

I weigh about 185-190. Do I really need the dual or will I get away with the single FR dampner.

I really hate the idea behind inverted shocks and I have ridden a few and they all felt flexy to me. How does the Avy feel?

Please only respond if you belong or have belonged to the cult.. :):););)

Ive narrowed it down to the 888 WC or the Avy.

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
ok sorry for this little off topic..

but what about comparing shiver 05 and avy DHF-8 set up for dh is there big difrence

ps.

New set-up options for DHF-8:

DhTi spring and single damper
Set-up - Downhill racing
Weight range - 125-185 lbs
Cost - $1495

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
ok sorry for this little off topic..

but what about comparing shiver 05 and avy DHF-8 set up for dh is there big difrence

ps.

New set-up options for DHF-8:

DhTi spring and single damper
Set-up - Downhill racing
Weight range - 125-185 lbs
Cost - $1495

Start your own thread. :)

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Well, I have ridden the single damper version on a friend's bike. I am around 200lbs in full armor and even though the fork was set up to a rider 30lbs lighter than me (and it therefore rode low in its travel) I think it felt flawlessly. Super respondent to the small stuff and still relatively stiff. Also, very light indeed (well, it felt very light, but I have to admit that I dont know the exact weight of it).

Normally I ride the MTN-8 fork which is in the other end of the scale. Very heavy, but stiff as a Monster. No flex at all !!! And super adjustable. As it has hydra bottoming out cones I have never experienced it bottoming out.

If I was you I would go with the double damper version, but I am more into freeriding and dropping than racing, therefore not so conscious about weight but more about strength.

When it comes to the 888r I have tired, my experiences are the following:

The Avy (single damper in DH set up) feels more respondent to smaller pot holes and the like than the 888. I have never tried a 888r which was set up in a way I liked, however, the Avy feels easier to work on in terms of adjustment (but this is 100% IMO only). I think the 888r will be stiffer compared to the single damper version of the Avy, but if you go with the MT version I think this will be just as stiff, also heavier, but with (IMO) a better damping which I find more important than the weight.

Personally, I like the USD system. It is hard to explain, but the way it works feels better to me than non-USD forks. In relation to DH, I can say that my MTN fork does not bob at all when standing up and pedalling.....

It is a tough call, but in terms of adjustability, quality and a love for USD I would go AVY. The 888r might on the other hand have a better weight to stiffness ratio......but I simply do not like the way it works... just my 0,02$

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
First off, any avy is going to be heavier than the 888, so if you are concerned with weight, get the 888. The 888s are great feeling forks, I can't think of negative points, specs wise, about them vs an avy except the avy is customed tuned to your weight and style.

I really like the how my avy forks feel, really smooth, responsive and most of all predictable. I have a regular dhf-8, race dhf-8ti, dhf-8mt, and a mtn-8. They all feel a little different, as they are set up for different types of riding. I don't really notice flex in them, maybe I am used to it, though I rode a older foes f1, that fork was flexy. The double damper would be an all around better fork than the single, except for racing. You should try and take a ride on an avy fork if you can find someone with one.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
First off, any avy is going to be heavier than the 888, so if you are concerned with weight, get the 888. The 888s are great feeling forks, I can't think of negative points, specs wise, about them vs an avy except the avy is customed tuned to your weight and style.

I really like the how my avy forks feel, really smooth, responsive and most of all predictable. I have a regular dhf-8, race dhf-8ti, dhf-8mt, and a mtn-8. They all feel a little different, as they are set up for different types of riding. I don't really notice flex in them, maybe I am used to it, though I rode a older foes f1, that fork was flexy. The double damper would be an all around better fork than the single, except for racing. You should try and take a ride on an avy fork if you can find someone with one.
Wow, you have 4 Avy forks? No one around here rides Avys.

The Avy website says the dhf-8ti weighs 8.5lbs. Thats only a 1/2 lb heavier than an 888.

The only drops I do are perfect tranny and nothing over 10-12ft. I weigh about 180-190 during the season. What benefits would there be to the double dampner?

They weigh more and cost more.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
My dhf-8ti weighs 8.5 lbs (3855g), with cut steerer and aluminum bolts for the guards.
Its on one of the hoods...race hood

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The dhf-8ti comes in a DH and a FR. I was leaning toward the FR version since it says for medium drops.

Anyone else?

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
i have the dhf ti single damper and an 06 888. The avy is by far plusher and has better dampening.

The 888 on the other hand is almost a lb and a half lighter and has superb dampening abilities and is more tuneable.

I personally would go with the 888 if your going to be trail riding and fr.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My 06 888 weighs 8lbs and the Avy single dampner weighs 8.5lbs from what I have been told. Anyway, what do you weigh? Is the single dampner enough? Do you ever bottom it out?

I use my bike for everything from Resort riding to 20-30mile XC rides.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Have you called Craig and asked him these questions? He's probably the guy who can really spell out the difference in applications and suitability between the dual/single damper models...I'd take advice from the forum, of course, but he's the man designing and standing behind the product in the end.

MD

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Have you called Craig and asked him these questions? He's probably the guy who can really spell out the difference in applications and suitability between the dual/single damper models...I'd take advice from the forum, of course, but he's the man designing and standing behind the product in the end.

MD
No, its the weekend. :) I just thought I would get some rider suggestions first.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
the single damper has been perfect for me and 3 of my friends. all of us weigh 200+. i have only bottomed it out once and i hit a 10 ft drop to almost flat.

Tarpon

Monkey
Jun 23, 2004
North Bend, WA
From what I recall, the weight limit on the DHF-Ti is for rider without gear (Craig has a gear factor included). Also, the types of drops the DHF-Ti was limited to were something like 6-8ft (irrespective of tranny), I want to say the limit is 6ft to flat but don't quote me on it. My DHF7-Ti was ~8.5lbs uncut. I have fluctuated between 183 (yeah, I got pretty fat) and 165 (dry weight) and not had any trouble (I have not even adjusted the spring rate). Then again, I don't really do drops.

The valving options are DH vs. freeride. The DH valving is linear while the FR is progressive. Hope that helps. Not sure what I would buy if I was in the market for a new fork.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Tell me more. ;)
It's a great fork. feels super smooth til the last 2 inches of travel then ramps up super super smooth. For total freeriding doing alot of larger drops the dh prolly wouldnt be great. For racing dh and light freeriding the dh is perfect and buttery smooth.