Quantcast

awesome rides at ratpac

radjockette

Monkey
Jun 26, 2004
PNW woods
What a beauty day on saturday at the ratpac. Partly cloudy skies, little on the cool side, and nearly perfect trail conditions with the gate open!!! :cool: No peanut butter sludge to be found. Log ride at the top was slicker than snot (need more wire mesh and would be all good), and the last stunt at the bottom was a little bit sketchy, but do-able.
Had one hell of a good time, me and 3 buddies. Ran into one group of three and hooked up with a solo rider on our last run up, and that was it. Definitely one awesome trail that I will have to hit again; it was my first time up there.
Ended the day with pizza and beers in north bend at jayberries: great pizza and food. Hope all other monkeys had a great weekend of riding! :)

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
We hit it yesterday and I was surprised that there was dust in places.
Same old fun ride down. The first new ramp is pretty ghetto and sure looks out of place though... Man, that trail has changed over the years.
Still a few weekends of good weather to get to the dry side before the top snows in. There's several other ways down and one to start with is just East of Rat Pac. Look for a blocked old road peeling off to the right and down. Stay with it to a 4 way and then turn right and down again. When a singletrack crosses it almost to the power lines, turn right once more and that is the trail that "Y"s to the left at the bottom of rat pac.

Gonz

Chimp
Feb 9, 2004
WA
>>just East of Rat Pac. Look for a blocked old road peeling off to the right and down. Stay with it to a 4 way and then turn right and down again. When a singletrack crosses it almost to the power lines, turn right once more and that is the trail that "Y"s to the left at the bottom of rat pac<<

so would the reverse of that be a good way to climb ? How would it compare to the road ?

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Look at your maps. You could either take the road up Greens Canyon to the 4 way or the next drainage west of there. It's old jeep road turned into old moto trail and it's a grunt. But, very ridable going up. You may have actually done it in the old days with Leons or Tanka. That used to be THE way up.
Last year when I went up that way, there were flags and new survey marks there too.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Gonz so would the reverse of that be a good way to climb ? How would it compare to the road ?[/QUOTE said:
If anyone finds a shorter way to the top of the ridge than the road or a better way let me know. I have made it from the log pile to the Rat Pac Junction in 24 minutes. Ken from BBTC was showing me a shortcut to the top and it took 1.5 hours. :( Plus 8 hours later my legs were still puffy from all the stinging nettle.

I followed one of the loging roads down east of Rat Pac and the trail is lost once it hits the new Vista Ridge road. That ridge road probably took out more than one trail. There is also a pretty wild downhill trail that motos still use further east, it drops straight down-I have never followed it, but I would guess it would drop into Saphire Skies above Cle Elum. Its probably suitable for downhillers, but there is no shuttle road.

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
Thanks DBR. Looks fun. Yeah, I just like to whoop it up too much on Friday & Saturday nights. Makes it hard to get out there in the mornings. Keeps me more local.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Bullitrider said:
Thanks DBR. Looks fun. Yeah, I just like to whoop it up too much on Friday & Saturday nights. Makes it hard to get out there in the mornings. Keeps me more local.
Perhaps a sequence taken there on the Gravity Cavity will ease your partying instincts for a night?;)

There used to be a geocities site that had a pic of the A-Frame out there - I think they labeled it as the Mummy Cat :confused:

I recall riding out there as late as early Nov. last year.:cool:

Wish I knew the story about the gate myself. I think they should have a webcam up showing the gate at all times so you could check it before you head that way.:)

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
stacy1 said:
Any more information whether the gate will be open this weekend?
It was open today-Saturday. I saw three shuttle vehicles. When I went by the gate the lock and pin were left on the gate suggesting that the last one out was to lock the gate. The only ones on the ridge were bikers so maybe a downhiller has a key. I will have to back Sunday and see if its locked again.

Rat Pac is getting real close to be closed. Plum Creek Timber has just posted a "Road Closed" sign at the entrance to lower Rat Pac. I also saw four hand lelettered signs for bulldozer-grader operators to make changes in the road. My guess is heavy equiptment will come in on Monday or Tuesday and in a week or so logging starts.