Quantcast

Aww isht....

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I just drove my roadie into the garage door... There goes that Look 555.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We between the destruction of my $4k road bike, my $600 rack, and the dent and gouge in the roof of my car... not really. Thank jeebus that we have good insurance to fix it.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
It must be a Look thing. A few years back I just finished building a Look 585(i dont recall the model number actually) full carbon, Campy 10spd, Ksyriums and all sorts of goodies.
About an 20 minutes after he left the shop I got a call that he drove into his garage with his bike on top and needed to have the bike inspected.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Damn dude, I feel for ya. That must have sucked, especially that moment you realized what just happened.

That just happened to me when I dropped my iPhone and my screen cracked. same feeling, not as much money

gonefirefightin

free wieners
it will only happen once, I once drove all three of my bikes into a parking garage in olympia washington. just the stupid factor of picking up my mangled bikes and everyone watching behind me was enough to learn my lesson for a lifetime. that was in 93,

bikes were cheap back then. a hardrock, gary fisher J4 and a sirrocco

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yeah... I'm looking at probably $6k total including the rack and roof of the car. The bike an rack can easily be replaced. It's the roof that I an really concerned with.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I already took everything off. I'll take pics when Insurance asks me for them. the crack in the frame is small, but you can see that the top tube is separating from the head tube. The bars are bent, levers are beat, and the seat is mashed down in the front. I'm pretty sure the fork is spaced about 1/2" too wide now too...

The rack actually took most of the impact, the tray folded down and the driver's seat tower ripped off the car. I need to check the cross bars for damage, as the locks were all VERY difficult to get off. The other towers are not working fully.

When the rack ripped off, the Q-Clip dove down into the roof of the car and gouged into the roof pretty bad. There is a nasty gouge in the metal and the roof is dented.

I just did a quick tally of the damage, and it looks to be around $3,700 including tax and labor for a new build and a new roof rack. This does not include the car itself... damn.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ive seen that **** happen in person before. Nothing like a retard workign at the quick lube to ruin your day.
I'm blaming the driver. They came in FAST! especially given the size of the hole. Look how far forward it went before stopping! Way to fast for conditions...:disgust1:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
My garage is my workshop. Cars have no business in a garage.

Sorry to hear about your bike, but glad you have good insurance.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
My ex drove one of her bikes in to the garage. Jacked up the bike, the rack, the garage door, and pushed the roof of the car in a bit. Needless to say, we'd have to pull the garbage can out in front of the garage door every time we went for a bike ride so we had to get out and move in when we came back home.
got a hitch rack. don't have to worry about that anymore. I prefer the hitch racks now. You don't get as bad of mileage from them, and you can't really drive them in to the garage. You can get rear ended, but i've been lucky for about 8 years.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My ex drove one of her bikes in to the garage. Jacked up the bike, the rack, the garage door, and pushed the roof of the car in a bit. Needless to say, we'd have to pull the garbage can out in front of the garage door every time we went for a bike ride so we had to get out and move in when we came back home.
got a hitch rack. don't have to worry about that anymore. I prefer the hitch racks now. You don't get as bad of mileage from them, and you can't really drive them in to the garage. You can get rear ended, but i've been lucky for about 8 years.
Jetta can't take a hitch rack... This all could have been avoided...

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I thought you could pretty much get a receiver for any car. I had one on my 97 altima, my 2000 suby GT wagon, my buddy has one on his 1989 suby impreza. I've seen them on tons of cars. They're only 1 1/4, but still works. Is your jetta the 1.8T? I noticed that the exhaust comes straight out the back on those. If it wasn't, the exhaust comes out below the rear bumper.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
There is no where to mount with out drilling the uni-body. Not worth it to me, especially because Uhaul f*ed the last install I had them do...

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
There is no where to mount with out drilling the uni-body. Not worth it to me, especially because Uhaul f*ed the last install I had them do...
ah yes. That would suck. I've been lucky. The three that i've bought have all just bolted straight in to existing holes in the frame.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just talked to insurance, they are going to cover everything. I had to break it up over auto and renters policies, so the deductible is $1000, but they are covering everything. They are paying to fix the roof, replace my rack in whole, and I will be getting one of these, as I have been saving up for it, and the insurance check will cover the amount I did not have.
http://yeticycles.com/#/ourrides/575/WHITE/

And likely another Look, but the model is yet to be determined... I will be without roadie for a while though.