Quantcast

axion torque wrench

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
Getting the wrench is great first step but it won't do you any good if you don't have the torque specs for what you're working on.

So say you're taking the rear end apart on your frame you'd need information such as this from the iron horse website. http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/bikes/sunday/sunday_frame.pdf

That diagram shows you what torque each fastener should be tightened to.

Your new wrench should have Nm on one side and a Ft/lb scale on the other side. Most of the time you'll be using the ft/lb scale. The wrench you got has a locking nut on the bottom so in order to adjust it you have to first loosen that the you can turn the lower part of the handle to adjust it to whatever torque you might need, lock the little lock nut back down and start tightening. Tighten the fastener until you feel the wrench click and then you're done. Oh and once you're done using the wrench always back the handle off to zero so there's no pressure on the spring inside. Your wrench will last longer that way.

Hope that helped.

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
ya i know that stuff, just the numbers start at like 28 i only want a torque of about 10 so im confused on how to work this right. also it says the wrench is in ft-lbs but it doesnt say it in the tables on the wrench itself it just has newton-meters with the numbers from 28-210 below and the other side has like CM-KPS and M-KGS and with the numbers from like 2.9 to 21.4

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
It would help if you wrote with punctuation. It's part of the English language for a reason. Also, you really could explain a little more clearly what it is that you're having trouble with.

You want a torque of 10 what? 10 ft-lbs? 10 N-m? 10 in-lbs?

That wrench won't be of much use for small bolts. I hope whatever you're tightening, you want it really tight.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
The wrench you bought won't be much good for much except crank bolts and bb shells.

You need one ranging from about 20-250 inch/pounds for most small fasteners found on a mountain bike.

For instance rotor bolts are 55 in/lbs (6 newton/meters).

Sorry,

Mike

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Thats not too terrible actually, The "Clicker" styles usually run a bit more, My Matco ran me 275. 30-300 ft lbs. But in all honesty, beam style inlb for bikes. And even a good inlb torque wrench off the trucks will run you 200