Quantcast

Azonic A-Frames VS Crank Brothers 5050

Rafael-DH

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Brazil
Hi guys
i always used clip in pedals, but right now i decided to learn to ride flat!
Them i bought a pair of Azonics A Frame.... Ride it once... and sold the bike to get the new stuff for 07.
right now, i'm waiting for a Sunday Team that comes equiped with a 5050!
Want to know which one works better!
Cause if the 5050 are all the way better, them i'm going to make some money on the Azonics right now! :lighten:
Thanks for all

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
5050s suck. They are convex, not concave, so they have almost no grip. With pins and good shoes, like 5-10s, they can work alright, but not very well.

Atomlab and Tioga make the best pedals out there, but A-frames are pretty good.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well with the stock pins in the 5050's they suck.......if you take them out and replace with set-screws they are a MUCH better pedal.

I have 5050's, Shimano DX flats, and Atom Lab Trailkings and with 5.10 shoes I notice no difference between them. I have plenty of grip. Sometimes more than I'd like to have (all have set-screw type pins).

Most any pedal with set-screw type pins will offer decent grip. With 5.10 it's amplified. I agree with Bicyclist above that a pedal with a concave will offer the better grip......where as flat is flat.

I mainly went with 5050xx's when they came out because I got them cheap (ebay score) but plus Crank Bro's has their stuff together with the pedal building/insides. Atom Lab's has always been problematic (though not for me) but many a horror story about them and having trouble getting replacement parts.

Sep 8, 2004
Where did you find the set screws? Do most hardware stores carry them? My 7point7 (2006) came w/ the 5050xx's and the stock pins aren't too grippy. Sounds like set screws are in order.

-James.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Where did you find the set screws? Do most hardware stores carry them? My 7point7 (2006) came w/ the 5050xx's and the stock pins aren't too grippy. Sounds like set screws are in order.

-James.
yes any good hardware store will have them, or go to Mcmaster.com and order a bag. They are metric...3 mm I think

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
5050s suck. They are convex, not concave, so they have almost no grip.
Sorry, but this is just not true. The 5050s are concave. They have a bump in the center where the axle goes across because they have bearings in them - yes, bearings! There are a lot of pedals on the market that use a small cartridge bearing outboard and a bushing inboard or only bushings. There is nothing inherently wrong with using bushings (I have a pair of Atomlabs that I like very much), but they do develop considerably more slop. The 5050s use a cartridge bearing outboard and a needle bearing inboard. Mine are on their 2nd season, have developed zero play, and run very smoothly. As mentioned, they do work better with the set-screw pins. That said, the A-Frames are great and super grippy. I wear 5.10s and they work well with all my pedals - 5050s, Trail Kings, and Syncros.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003

-James.
I had gotten my from Go-ride when I placed an order. I think their set comes with 36 little pins. They were like $8-10 I think?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
It does make sense. The body is concave, but has a bulge where the axle is.

Like this, sorta...

_________/---------\___________ but concave instead of flat.

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
With all the other Tards!!
It would be better if there wasn't a Big X were the pic is.

But yah I've been on that pedal before. My foot would flop back and forth over the bump.

Why make a concave pedal then put a Fat bump right in the middle. It makes it pretty much not concave. And you have your foot on an uneven surface. Low then a big bump then low again, stupid design even if it dose have good bearing life.

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005
5050s suck. They are convex, not concave, so they have almost no grip. With pins and good shoes, like 5-10s, they can work alright, but not very well.

Atomlab and Tioga make the best pedals out there, but A-frames are pretty good.
You couldn't be farther from the truth. The 5050's do not by any means suck. Take out the stock pins, put in the set screws (I ran every one I could) and couple that with five ten shoes, and they rock. The only problem I had with mine all season was that one of the face plate's screws worked there way loose and the face plate slid off. I replaced the screws, Loc-Tited them, and did not have a single problem with the pedals again. I never felt like there was a lack of traction, and I love the feeling of my feet not being able to move from my pedals. They are good pedals.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
i cant really say anything bad about the 5050s
they have worked great for me so far, easy to service, found the grip to be just the right amount

but i know a lot of ppl hate these pedals
i dunno why but then again i have never been really picky with my pedals,

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
I'd stick with the A-Frames, also hear of the plates coming loose on the 5050s all too often, more slippery in the wet etc etc I did a fair bit of research when I decided to go with flats, scored some Dice Outlaws on ebay but the bearings didn't last and even though the A-Frames were my first chice I then got a great price on some V12 from Speedgoat.
Personally though I'm very happy with my DMR Mag V12s but then again I'm no DH'er!

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
just a note:

5050x - looseball pedals, thicker in the center, less concave.
5050xx - sealed bearing pedals, thinner in the center, more concave.

thank you, continue arguing. :)
thats good to know, i have been looking for replacements for the cullys for ages. knowing that makes the 5050xx quite attractive.

bottom line, i wish e13 made pedals....
maybe we should start a tread and get them to make them again.:pirate2: