Quantcast

B.A.D. Mofo Bullit Augmentation Device??!?!

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Matt D said:
Thanks dw, an aftermarket swingarm is easy enough to make, but what about those disks at the dropouts and the crack pipes that come out of the seatstays? If you could ask him to clarify those it would be awesome.
Dave, thanks for letting me know about this forum!!! Kinda new to this, but I'm happy to contribute.

This is an aftermarket 4130 cro-moly swing arm for the Santa Cruz Bullit. This project started as more of a dare than anything else, and I brought it to the show so the world could see what Tonic Fab is capable of. Although we are a new company, we are definately not amatuers. Although we do function out of a garage, I hoped the swing arm would communicate that we are not the average garage operation.

That said, I only take exception to Matt D who claims this thing is "easy enough to make.." It is actually a very high tolerance part which requires a great deal of experience to pull off. Some folks will get this, others won't. Oh well....

The B.A.D.Mofo is steel. It does have more tire clearance, although that's not a problem on the Bullit. Big 24's do fit better, however.

The bent seat stays..just thought they looked good.

Shock spacing is at 22, not 42, so no more bent bolts.

The aluminum, cylindrical inserts are pressed into the swing arm receivers. In a pinch these could be pushed out. These receivers have two M6 helicoils installed at 90 degress.

The drop outs are bolted to the swing arm to these inserts. The effect is a durable, replaceable and re-configurable drop out system.

For the show I set the bike up with a 9.5x3 shock, which results in 8" of travel for the Bullit. The drop outs in the show bike compensate for the geometry change using the big shock. The DO's in the photo are 20mm lower and 13mm longer than the stock position. So, the bike stays pretty raked out and the tire doesn't hit anything when bottomed. Tonic Fab market research indicated this was sorta important....

Of course stock postion DO's and and thru axle versions will be available....

As for the pipe....optional equipment, and completely up to you how you want to use it.

Response for the swing arm had been overwhelming!!! I'll try and have pricing and availability over the next couple weeks.

Cheers,

L

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
I wanted to mention:

To those who want the cold, hard facts about this thing...information like weight, how stiffness compares to the stock part, cost and availability...colors and smells....

Please be patient.

We are pressing forward with the B.A.D. Mofo. Our website will be a good source of information over the next few weeks.

Cheers,

Landon

www.tonicfab.com

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
thaflyinfatman said:
Maybe I'm just dumb, but I still haven't understood what the crack pipe bit does?
From the description above, it looks like it really is a pipe, although crack was probably not the intended substance ;)

Legal tobacco products only, of course.

mmm... crack...

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
binary visions said:
Come on, man. Just think to yourself how many times you've been ripping up a sweet piece of singletrack and thought, "If I could only spark up a little rock, that would make this ride perfect..."

AHAHAHAHHAAHHAHA

~SGD

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
I think it's pretty sweet. If one side had the pipe and the other had some type of fancy billet lighter (and a spot for some stash) I wouldn't have to wear a camelback downhilling anymore. ha ha j/k (really)

Even though I'm totaly happy with the swing arm on my bullit I really do think it's cool. Just because it's different and some guy has the talent to make it in his garage. Landon, easy on the garage comments, k. There's alot of small garages all over the US with some nice parts comming out of them.

Guys, just think about this. If he has the skills to make this, what else do you think is up his sleave?

Long live the small fabricators!

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
binary visions said:
From the description above, it looks like it really is a pipe, although crack was probably not the intended substance ;)

Legal tobacco products only, of course.

mmm... crack...

Ok, I'm really beginning to doubt my sanity/intelligence... wtf do you want a random pipe hidden in your seatstays for?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
thaflyinfatman said:
Ok, I'm really beginning to doubt my sanity/intelligence... wtf do you want a random pipe hidden in your seatstays for?
...sorry, is there something unclear here?

The pipe is intended to be used in order to GET HIGH while you are out RIDING, if that's your thing :D ;)

:p

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
thaflyinfatman said:
haha does it have any practical use related to the bike itself or what?
Yes, as I said, its practical use is to allow the rider to smoke dope. Tha' reefer. Mary Jane. Pot. The schwiggity swag. Marijuana. :evil:

:p

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
thaflyinfatman said:
Bye bye, sanity...

haha does it have any practical use related to the bike itself or what?
The practical use is that your eyes wil become red, and red makes your bike look really shiny and fast.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
spookydave said:
I think it's pretty sweet. If one side had the pipe and the other had some type of fancy billet lighter (and a spot for some stash) I wouldn't have to wear a camelback downhilling anymore. ha ha j/k (really)

Even though I'm totaly happy with the swing arm on my bullit I really do think it's cool. Just because it's different and some guy has the talent to make it in his garage. Landon, easy on the garage comments, k. There's alot of small garages all over the US with some nice parts comming out of them.

Guys, just think about this. If he has the skills to make this, what else do you think is up his sleave?

Long live the small fabricators!
Spookydave,

I do owe an appology for my tone. I believe you are totally correct; plenty of good things coming out of garages. I took exeception to the fellow who suggested this was "easy to build" and clearly over reacted in my response. I'm still learning how to do this....

Craftsmanship, and design should not require explanation. Work stands on its own, period.

As far as what else Tonic has up it's sleeve...plenty. Most public is the Fall Guy...a bike that never quits putting a grin on my face.

http://www.hcor.net/postlite19379-.html

Cheers,

L

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
Bro, I was 100% kidding with you. I've been called a garage hack by a few on this site. lol

Not my style of bike but I love it. VERY VERY nice work. You should build race car chassies and make some big bank!
A Tig welder is next on my list for my garage shop.

I don't make many bike parts but I have done a few.
Here is one I did a few years ago. I though it turned out ok for a hack working out of his house.

I do more motor sports work.

Please keep posting some of your stuff. Great insperation for the rest of us that make stuff!

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Cool looking bash guard, and thanks for the kind words. I'll pass them on to the team...

Cheers,

L

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
thaflyinfatman said:
Ok, you're from Australia so we'll cut you some slack. For a large portion of the population of N. America, especially those living above the 49th parallel, smoking out is a common activity while mountain biking. I can see how some people would find the integrated pipe an atractive feature. Just don't try and cross the border. The dogs would be on that like ants on cookies.

Landon, nice work. I was thinking about making a cro-mo swingarm for my Super 8. I can appreciate what it takes to get that done.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
This place can be sooo harsh.

I think its a cool idea. But, I'd love to see it in a different color and a few different angles... . Kind of hard for me to conceptualize it in flat grey. Looks too prototype in those shots.

I'd also like to see the Bullit hater riot baton in place of the pipe.

jobe

Chimp
May 13, 2005
UK
time to drag this thread back up.... Are these swingarms in production yet? If so has anybody bought one and had any experience with it yet??

jobe

Chimp
May 13, 2005
UK
rpet said:
It should be ready in two weeks.

-r
Really, would you post up pictures when the bike is complete? Im in the UK and want to try and be the first to get one, but we'll see..

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
If you look at that 'plug' the guy is holding, it looks like it has 2 seals on it.

edit. How the hell did my post end up at the end of the thread...

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
that it does. always thought the reference to burning vegetable matter was a little odd what with being in the presence of synthetic rubber.