Quantcast

B1 Woodbumble Plus - any thoughts?

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
I was just wondering if there were any Monkeys who have ridden a B1 Woodbumble or Woodbumble Plus.

I like the look of the frame, and it's got a solid frame build for downhill applications; Swinger 6-Way 9x2.75, 100mm BB, 165x12 rear spacing - two things you can't get on a Wal-Mart bike. Other than that, I'm stuck. MTBR is no help, either. I'm thinking about getting one, but have really heard nothing about them aside from what I can find on their website.

Heck, at this point, I'd even settle for what people thought of the look of the frame...

http://www.beone-bikes.com/dotcom.asp - look under showroom, frames.

Aug 11, 2003
I actually had a chance to ride one this past weekend. I was pretty impressed with the bike even with it not set to my riding weight or style. Seemed very stiff laterally coming into corners. I didn't really notice as much brake-jack as I had expected, even coming from riding an Iron Horse SGS. It felt very stable at speed and level in the air. One thing that I didn't like was the difficulty bunnyhopping or manually it. I could barely get the front end off of the ground.

I'd have to have another ride with the bike setup for me to give you any better thoughts.

As for looks, when you straddle it and look down, it looks a bit like a space ship.

Simon

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
That's a lot more than I've been able to get from anywhere else - thanks. What was the setup you rode with? I'm planning on having a Shiver on the front if I get it. I wonder if that will make a difference with the wheelies.

Aug 11, 2003
Oddly enough the Woodbumble I had was set up with an '05 Shiver on it. Even with the front end up fairly high I still couldn't get it up in the air. The only other issue to be aware of is the an e13 guide will fit, but may require a small amount of shaving on the top portion of the guide to not come into contact with the pivot.

I am seriously considering this frame for my next race bike. I'd like to take it on a couple more runs to be sure but it didn't feel odd or uncomfortable like other bikes I've tried.

Simon

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...yeah when I first heard about the PeteSpeed Gearbox a while ago, I checked out their site, and was impressed with their design work. I think the frames look pretty good from an asthetic point of view. I'd go with the Woody Plus - a 7.8lbs. frame with 8 to 9" of travel, 1.5 HT, and a 165mm rear hub definitely sounds like a good place to start.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I checked out ted tempany's bike when he was here at snowshoe and it was a cool solid frame. Felt nice and looked solid.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
fatguysmiling said:
Oddly enough the Woodbumble I had was set up with an '05 Shiver on it. Even with the front end up fairly high I still couldn't get it up in the air. The only other issue to be aware of is the an e13 guide will fit, but may require a small amount of shaving on the top portion of the guide to not come into contact with the pivot.
Well, maybe it has to do with the rear shock's setup. Are you going to ride it anytime this next week again?

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Are you talking about the single pivot be one?

It rode nice but I always hit the friggin swingarm at the widest point with my heels. I ride clipless so it must be more annoying on flat pedals. I ride wide rear swingarms (my Mpire has wide a$$ seatstays and is 165mm spaced) but this one seemed obstrusively wider. I'm never impressed with Be One's welds and the frame I rode had hideous glob of weld beads -especially in junctions. Otherwise, it was fun to toss around.

I'm still looking for orange saddles to match my Be One DH frames.. :)

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Orvan said:
Are you talking about the single pivot be one?

It rode nice but I always hit the friggin swingarm at the widest point with my heels. I ride clipless so it must be more annoying on flat pedals. I ride wide rear swingarms (my Mpire has wide a$$ seatstays and is 165mm spaced) but this one seemed obstrusively wider. I'm never impressed with Be One's welds and the frame I rode had hideous glob of weld beads -especially in junctions. Otherwise, it was fun to toss around.

I'm still looking for orange saddles to match my Be One DH frames.. :)
Yeah, the Woodbumble is the single pivot one. You own the DH frameset - are the welds the same there? Have you ever had any problems arise becuse of it?

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
I have a Woodbumble DS and it's a LOT stiffer than my Bighit.
It's pretty light and the welds on mine are super clean.
The bike jumps super, it's stable at high speeds and cornering is a dream.
I ride with flats and I don't have problems with my heels hitting the swingarm, but I have 165mm cranks and size 10 shoes.

There are a lot of people In Europe who race DH on the Woodbumble +
Nico Vink (Be One Madhouse) raced this bike with a Dorado to victory at the Belgian DH Championship.

I've also found these Seaotter DH pics on HCOR.net.
(Both are riding woodbumbles)

If you have specific questions PM me, I can forward them to Martijn, the designer/builder of the bike.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
WSU DH'er said:
Wow, thanks. I really think I'm going to get one now. Can't wait 'til Friday!
Haha, my friend was signed in on my computer. I really think I'm going to get one now.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
I'll throw up a full review on this 42# (with a Shiver and 2.7 Maxxis Mobsters) beauty in a week or two when I get the shock back from Answer.

juniorx88

Chimp
Nov 26, 2005
My bike sounds like this:
Frame: Woodbumble Plus
Rear Shock: Manitou Swinger 6way
Fork: Manitou Sherman 170mm, SPV, One Point Five
Brakes: Hayes El Camino
Seat: Fizik Atlas
and.....

It is a very good bike and it fits e13 very good, it doesn't hits the swing arm. A stif bike, good in corners and very stable at speed, lots of rear travel... i realy like the bike. 2 friends of mine has the Team DH frames from B1 and they are also happy with the bikes, both have MAnitou Swinger 6 way on the rear and the forks are Manitou Dorado 2005 and Shiver 2003. We take B1 as a premim brand that makes high performance bikes. The woodbumble requires a time to get used to for taking the rear wheel of the ground but after it's k. If you have any questions about any B1 bike or frame or you whant details of the bikes, you cand e-mail at juniorx88@yahoo.com.