Quantcast

back from Guatemala

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
me and the mister decided to spend our thanksgiving in Belize and Guatemala instead of eating turkey in a disappointingly dry Tahoe.

i think guatemala has been one of my favorite places to visit ever, so i thought i would share some photos from there.

these are the mayan ruins in tikal. we went out to tikal twice, both times getting out there at 5.30am for sunrise. sitting up on top of those temples above the mist and jungle early in the morning was a really cool experience.

serious people we are

disabled friendly, it is not

animals

the nearby city of flores

the place we stayed said we could borrow some bikes so we could ride out to these other ruins nearby. her are our totally sweet rides.

we stayed in the very small village of el remate

i wish i was there now. *sigh*.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
wish i made it down to antigua, but that was pretty far from where we were. next time.

i did have a friend who was down in antigua and she flew up to meet us for the day. she was loving it down there.

Sweet pics. I'm guessing the mornings were something like this?
our mornings were a little wet.... but they dried up nicely in the afternoon.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Nice pictures!

My wife and I were planning on going next year. She has family there and we are going to make a stop in Costa Rica as well since my brother-in-law is there now.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I don't think they have Lemurs in SA do they? I knew they weren't Lemurs though. How do I know you ask? From that Craft Brothers show on PBS - Zaboomafoo!!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
NICE! Looks like you guys had a good time. I'm itching for a Latin vacation...perhaps down into South America for some riding.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
NICE! Looks like you guys had a good time. I'm itching for a Latin vacation...
I am with you. For christmas last year the in-laws took the entire family on a cruise (which is an entirely different, kind of disturbing topic) but we got to see belize, honduras, and two places in mexico in a very short period of time, and I am itching to get back, in a bad way, for a real extended stay.

cycleryshop

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
Hey, and I just came back from my trip to Alaska. I drove round trip in my friends' car who left it with me last week.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
i knew it! you guys were joy riding up and down the coast in the little 'zuki.

don't you appreciate ben's hat in the pictures? he wore that silly thing the whole trip.
Don't worry. I just loaded that thing on the SF-Anchorage Ferry.

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Great pics! Are the underwater ones from the Hol Chan cut? And the stairs on the one temple give me the willies to even contemplate climbing them. Thanks for posting!
- Joe

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Hey amy great pics it looks like a wonderful place. If you get a chance could you please PM or email me more info ( if you have any) about Guatemala.. its somewhere i've always wanted to go and would like to look into it. Thanks!!!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
How was the safety side of things there. Were you OK to go walking around by yourself? Looks interesting.
i was with my husband, not alone - but there are places you don't wander at night. belize city was ok, but i wouldn't do it at dark. nor would i attempt to do the border crossing late at night.

we stayed in el remate when we went to the jungle and that was much safer than nearby st elena. even the shoe stores in st elena had men w/ shot guns guarding them. gas station had alot of military people too.

i'd go back in a heart beat. it was beautiful.