Quantcast

Back from Kili/safari (pics)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Toshi--they're all digital. #1, I'm no master of either digi or color. #2, I've only done really basic adjustments with iPhoto, the only image editor I have (waiting on Lightroom, so I should be able to fine-tune a few) #3, the contrast range is pretty wicked out there, and I shot mostly highlight-biased exposures. Sometimes was using a polarizer to try and preserve a semblance of sky, but yeah, there's simply no way to get the full tonal range sometimes...this is compounded by being really limited on where you can set up your shots as a commercial safari participant. #4, It's really, really hazy and unsaturated-looking in real life, and I've always been pretty prosaic especially in color. #5, I'm just really out of practice as a photographer.

And a few were taken with my wife's tiny compact and without too much thought to the exposure.

I'm waiting on some film (should be another month at least) so we'll see how I did with that. 50mm lens safari, baby.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Pfffft....seems like an awful lot of trouble. You can just go to the San Diego zoo and see the same thing. AND you can get a churro and soft serve ice cream....
Tell me about it--I miss San Diego more than any other place I've lived.

Alas, SD is much, much further from where I live now than Kilimanjaro is...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, hey, I've lived in SF, too. Or at least just outside it. I worked there, though. I swear.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Sometimes there is only so much you can do.

Didn't have a graduated filter laying around?
My filters all got detention and flunked. Just had a sky and a polarizer for the digi SLR and a yellow and a red for the b/w film.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'm not sure about these guys, either, but they're definitely better in B/W. It was a really ugly, hazy brown light.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

Just got my film back!

I can't scan very well yet--my first time doing b/w on this thing and it no likey. And it's the first scanning I've done in YEARS, nevermind that I'm not very good at it. But I'm learning. Have a lot of cool film shots to get onto the comp. This will be a great print even if the scan's a little flat.

Oh, and Toshi, I think when my new copy of Lightroom finally shows up I'll be able to do some good things to the lackluster digi images you noted. iPhoto just wasn't too flexible...having been playing with this stuff for a day or so I think I can massage the digi images into quite a bit nicer shape.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

Yeah, I think the pics are a lot better tweaked with Lightroom. It's a pretty slick program, but it's probably going to take me ages to get good with it...

Last edited: