Quantcast

back from Whistler (long recap, w/ pics) ;)

Jul 7, 2004
That was a great recap. So, you did the Manager but thought N.D. slab was scary? I hardly hesitated the first time last year with NDS but I have not yet been able to roll into the manager. What's wrong with me?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I guess it helped that a friend had a headcam on when I got to the manager ;)

I wussed out of both the first time, rode both the 2nd time I got to them.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
CraigH said:
I'd heard a lot of work has been done in there in the last year or so. I haven't ridden it in over a year, so will have to get up there to check it out again.
Definately. Same with River. Both have tonnes of new stuff. Train is still considered a blue trail but if you hit ANY of the big stuff that obviously isn't true. Lots of money being dumped in the valley this year.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The manager was nuts. I did it once and that was enough. Everyone that did it had their rear tire come off the ground an inch or two. I rolled it with no brakes and went waaay to fast into the small drop afterwards and slid out on the rocks.

I liked Garbonzo but our trails here in Kalispell are a lot like it but not as long. Now Garbonzo wet was another story.... The last day we were there it rained. Wow, now that was some fun!

Im trying to plan another trip back in Aug.

I still think the North Shore was the sheeeet. We stayed in a dive motel called the Lynnwood. I do reccommend it to anyone trying to save some money. It was $89 a night for a 2 bed room and $69 a night for a single. If you pay American they give you a 25% rate.. Plus they let us keep the bikes in the rooms. Has anyone stayed at the Lynnwood before??? It was a real dive but it fit the budget after Whistler.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Kanter said:
The manager was nuts. I did it once and that was enough. Everyone that did it had their rear tire come off the ground an inch or two. I rolled it with no brakes and went waaay to fast into the small drop afterwards and slid out on the rocks.
According to the guys who watched me do it I was the best they'd seen, apparantly I managed to keep the wheels on the rock. Which was nice :)

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
- seb said:
According to the guys who watched me do it I was the best they'd seen, apparantly I managed to keep the wheels on the rock. Which was nice :)
rolling that thing looks sketch. i manual off the top - if you dont go too fast you land on the tranny & its pretty smooth, & you avoid doing a nose manny down the steep part.

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
According to the guys who watched me do it I was the best they'd seen, apparantly I managed to keep the wheels on the rock. Which was nice
hate to say it but its true, seb looked so much more in control than anyone else i saw.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Acadian said:
ya...isn't Goat's Gully on "Original Sin"? Right after that big hipper?
TBH I've no idea where the splits are since I never stopped to look at the signs, but yep, Original Sin -> Goats Gulley -> In Deep.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
- seb said:
Addendum for people who know Whistler: :)
My favourite section on the hillside is (rather embarrassingly) the first 4 corners of Hornet. I swear I could hit that as fast as any pro racer, certainly felt that way - what an ego boost I got whenever I rode that bit :)
I love that section as well. I think the fact that it's so narrow makes it feel like you are going faster than you are. There is a shortcut some people take past the first corner so if I'm riding with friends and one of them tries to shortcut around me I'll just keep it pinned through those first few corners to make sure I stay ahead of them and every time I feel like I am just flying through there, pinballing my way through sometimes smacking my shoulders off of trees and using that to help me hold the line through the corner :)

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
crashing_sux said:
sometimes smacking my shoulders off of trees and using that to help me hold the line through the corner :)
I also dig that section...so much fun!

tell me about smacking trees - Last Saturday while riding with MMike, we're coming down that little straight away (parallel to the fireroad) right before entering that section. I don't know what the hell I did, but really wasn't paying attention and smacked that first tree on the left hand side with my hand and shoulder - sending me down the hillside. That hurt! :(

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
- seb said:
It was cool, but if I go again I need to sort out some van hire and do Squamish, Pemberton, Williams Lake, North Shore, whatever else is around. I thought I might do east coast next year, though aside from Plattekill I don't know what else there is.
snowshoe and diablo, both will not disapoint

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
it's still there, I've ridden it a number of times int he past week and a half......remember, when and if you ride it, go slow, think slow, do it slow.....there's no need to try and do it quick, you'll probably end up smeared all over the bridge if you try and do it fast....

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
im getting an error when i am looking at the pics, anyone else got this prob.

Jan 28, 2006
Ca
I totally remember that but not the trail name, that is on one of the very first garbanzo trails. I leave in 7 days, cant wait.:love:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Well, we found it. Its at the beginning of Duffman. We kept missing it because we were all hitting the step up to the new box and then dropping off it.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
- seb said:

Does anyone else think the food at Longhorn is crap? The chicken wrap was quite nice, but their "fries" are mank. If I want wedges I'll ask for wedges! Fries should be fries.

most canadian food is crap but they are even worse than average..