Quantcast

Back in black

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
That is a very nice turnaround from the "ghetto nightmare" paintjobs they have been known to have in the last few years.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I guess I could ride that. That color scheme will match my sj evo nicely :)

eatmyshorts

Monkey
Jun 18, 2010
South OZ
What's up with the chainstay pivot? Hardware reversed?

Anybody else notice how much junk the old/current demo caked into around the main piv? Seen on a few occasions that rocks and mud wedged themselves around the piv- so much so that it limited the movement of the swingarm!

I am guessing that is to address this..

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
the black looks sick, but that glossy part would get scratched up like crazy id think.
I may be blind or halucinating but the glossy parts look like protective tape. I love the look though. For long time the demos looked horrible and this one is pure class. Hell I'm usually a fan of crazy paintjobs but in this case it's much better. Even if black matte is often a PITA to clean.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
I may be blind or halucinating but the glossy parts look like protective tape. I love the look though. For long time the demos looked horrible and this one is pure class. Hell I'm usually a fan of crazy paintjobs but in this case it's much better. Even if black matte is often a PITA to clean.
I believe the whole thing is anodized black. It is first polished, then masked for graphics, then bead blasted, then anodized.

The blasted areas look more matte when anodized, and the polished areas are shiny. The matte shouldn't be hard to clean as it isn't paint.

Specialized ran this type of finish on some XC bikes for 2010, looks killer in person and more durable than paint.

jasonvelocity

Monkey
Aug 26, 2008
Palmer Lake, CO
Ordered mine last month based on rumor and speculation.

Specialized uses Scene7 for their image hosting, which allows for some variables to be throw into the image URL. Click to embiggen.

HTML:
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Specialized/8737?wid=2000

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I believe the whole thing is anodized black. It is first polished, then masked for graphics, then bead blasted, then anodized.

The blasted areas look more matte when anodized, and the polished areas are shiny. The matte shouldn't be hard to clean as it isn't paint.

Specialized ran this type of finish on some XC bikes for 2010, looks killer in person and more durable than paint.
If the area isn't even it may still leave a mist that will be seen only when the bike is clean. Not that much of a problem but sometimes annoying when you think your bike is clean after a quick resort flush ;)

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
sorry for the brief hijack, but what are the difficulties of cleaning bike that have been pc'd in matte black? Hoping to get my frame done in said colour soon.
I do love both the fluro yellow ones and the black ones, its a case of one of these or a summum for my next h frame I think!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007

This is exactly right. My sj is the same exact finish/color. I love it. Easy to clean so far. No more easy to scratch than a pair of handlebars with the same finish (diabolous, funn, etc.)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
sorry for the brief hijack, but what are the difficulties of cleaning bike that have been pc'd in matte black? Hoping to get my frame done in said colour soon.
I do love both the fluro yellow ones and the black ones, its a case of one of these or a summum for my next h frame I think!
Not much, only when it's wet you dont see if its 100%. Sometimes there is a dust mist after it dries(not that much of a problem in mud, mostly dust). Happens on my legend though it's not anodised. Nothing to really affect your decision.
Imho the choice between the Demo vs Summum depends much on how much do you abuse your frames. Mondraker is a bit lightweight so Rocky trails and crashes may end up with a few more dents.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
based on listed #'s, reach and stack on the large Demo 8 are as big as XL V10 or XL DHR; anyone care to comment? Im still not 100%on my next frame choice, but if the reach is really 17.5 / Stack 23.3 -- this may be an option too.