Quantcast

Back To Work Tursday

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
:wave: up in the land of billionaires, dirtbags, and moose. Skiing all day, then going to a killer thai place with @rideit and his most awesome better half tonight. try to keep the place clean today while I'm gone.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I am home alone for five days while Wife heads to Keystone for a ski trip with a couple of friends. She's got the vacation time and I don't. I'm not upset about the alone time tho! Well technically I've got the dog keeping me company.

I hit the high school track early this morning for a one hour run after dropping Wife off at the airport. The track is covered in snow but someone was nice enough to shovel two lanes. I am guessing it's the two old guys I see there doing interval sprints.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I see you made it through Pinedale intact.
Sure did. We stopped to a visit one of R's doctor friends, now retired. My age. Currently hand building his second custom home, while living at the first on neighboring 40 acres. Fucking palaces the both of them. I choose careers poorly.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Mild and sunny day. First round in the garden in a long time and already few early spring flowers. I have to try and do some maintenance on my commuter bike today. Snow, ice and salt is not great for a old bike.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

WFH because brown delivery today I need to catch before the wife sees. Other than that, just chilling. No rain on morning walkies, so that was nice.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
WFH because brown delivery today I need to catch before the wife sees. Other than that, just chilling. No rain on morning walkies, so that was nice.
my office is 3 minutes from a regional UPS DC. my solution for these scenarios is just to have them hold packages there for pickup and run over during lunch.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
my office is 3 minutes from a regional UPS DC. my solution for these scenarios is just to have them hold packages there for pickup and run over during lunch.
Usually I have it dropped at Walgreens and pick it up there, but for some reason this one wasn't an option.

I get some stuff at the office, but this was a total impulse buy and I did a quick checkout before I over thought it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Monday I found out that a project I have been working on is having funding pulled. This has been the worst project I have ever been involved in. With one exception very smart people but no one has a fucking clue what to do with the ideas in their heads. Just an endless stream of meetings where I have ended up telling people to shut the fuck up when they go off topic, tell them to stop talking when they actually say something valuable and make them right it down so I can then take all of their ideas and turn it into something that adds value.

Which is to say the quality of my sleep since that announcement has been amazing.

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Had to buy a new battery charger yesterday, the good old days of finding one that will charge from zero is over apparently. Sorting tools and whatnot after the chaos, river house should be listed shortly.

In other news,

looks as if I may have a RMSS package from colorad-bro sitting in the box! lemme check, BRB

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Monday I found out that a project I have been working on is having funding pulled. This has been the worst project I have ever been involved in. With one exception very smart people but no one has a fucking clue what to do with the ideas in their heads. Just an endless stream of meetings where I have ended up telling people to shut the fuck up when they go off topic, tell them to stop talking when they actually say something valuable and make them right it down so I can then take all of their ideas and turn it into something that adds value.

Which is to say the quality of my sleep since that announcement has been amazing.
That sounds a lot like my my current project, only we will see it through and even have a demo for Embedded World in April. :rofl:

With the help of one of our better developers I have gotten some work done and made some hard calls. The issue is we started this project with no vision or end goal. The only expectation is "all tests will pass " I've been in QA for near 30 years, if you just want tests that pass, that's easy. Even with shitty software I can write tests that pass.

Usually you have a feature: "A wall switch to turn lights on and off"

Then you develop tests that prove the requirements are met.

Here we have: "Clients can connect to the server using websockets". The issue lies in the definition of "client". Who is connecting and why? We got no idea.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That sounds a lot like my my current project, only we will see it through and even have a demo for Embedded World in April. :rofl:

With the help of one of our better developers I have gotten some work done and made some hard calls. The issue is we started this project with no vision or end goal. The only expectation is "all tests will pass " I've been in QA for near 30 years, if you just want tests that pass, that's easy. Even with shitty software I can write tests that pass.

Usually you have a feature: "A wall switch to turn lights on and off"

Then you develop tests that prove the requirements are met.

Here we have: "Clients can connect to the server using websockets". The issue lies in the definition of "client". Who is connecting and why? We got no idea.
I have too many projects on my plate so I am totally fine dropping this one. This is other people's only project and they are shitting their pants. Perhaps they should have made a better attempt to actually accomplish something.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have too many projects on my plate so I am totally fine dropping this one. This is other people's only project and they are shitting their pants. Perhaps they should have made a better attempt to actually accomplish something.
The only reason I got pulled into this one is because I'm literally the only QA here and the project lead decided it needed formal QA. At least our new PM knows what's up and we will wrap this one up by the 8th, I hope.

As the sole QA, I have more than enough to do, so this cluster fuck is a huge time suck.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
howdy all

wfh 4-10 pm tonight

scrubbed out the drained hot tub and am now refilling it, with proper chemicals and such and all that

:)

pick up FIL from airport a bit after noon—he's flying in for the weekend as it's my eldest's birthday and he'd like to ski so it all works out well.